1996 Toyota 4Runner

1996 Toyota 4Runner Prices
1996 Toyota 4Runner Fuel Economy
A Buzzer by Brownie from Bakersfield, Ca on 08/04/2008. Trim: 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Drives great. Comfortable. She is 12 years old with 150,000 miles, but I still love her.
Cons: Gas mileage terrible for a 2 wheel drive. Do not believe the sticker in the window. I get 12 miles to the gallon in the city! So....... i ran out and bought a 2006 Scion xb. 31 miles to the gallon city! I just can't let my 4 Runner go. I still love her. Also has an awful noise coming from the charcoal mech. under the hood. Buzzes for hours after she is turned off. She goes thru a battery every year and a half. No explaination from dealership.
Overall review: My clear coat on the front hood and on the roof has peeled and oxidized prematurely. Especially since the fist 7 years she had a nice warm garage. I still think she is a looker.
Quality, Reliable, Enjoyable 96 4Runner by 4Runner Enthusiast from Salt Lake City, UT on 07/27/2004. Trim: 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The 96 4Runner has the new V6 which is a fantastic engine. Toyota continues to produce quality reliable engines with plenty of power. The body is perfect size for an SUV. The interior is comfortable and roomy. I am happy that Toyota still offers the manual transmission in the 96. Overall the 96 4Runner provides a reliable daily driver with the ability to enjoy the outdoors whether it be on the dirt or through the snow. I am impressed with the reliability and quality of the 96 4Runner.
Cons: The newer body styles of the 90s and later Toyota 4Runners unfortunately sacrifice some of their rough offroad capabilities for comfort for the average American. Even with the typical reliability of Toyota, the 96 4Runner still has a few weak points. Expensive replacement parts really take a bite out of your pocket when even small things break. My 96 was in a flood so it has had more than it's fair share probably, but things that have gone out include the rack and pinion, the hood latch, and the pilot bearing. These things tend to be pricey to fix (in time and parts).
Overall review: Overall I am very pleased with my 96 4Runner. I love driving it because of the comfort and reliability. I feel safe owning it because of the typical Toyota reliability. It is 8 years old so I do see a few problems which tend to be expensive to fix. However, I am very pleased with my 4Runner and would only trade it for a newer one (pre-2001) or a Tacoma.
Delighted Owner by James from Pensacola, FL on 06/15/2003. Trim: 1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Reliability, design, quality. Very maneuverable, good highway ride and road manners. V6 has good power. ABS brakes are excellent. Ergonomics make this a pleasurable vehicle to operate and the interior is luxurious and comfortable for long distance driving. Shift-on-the-fly 4WD works well. Lots of interior and cargo room.
Cons: None.
Overall review: One of the best SUV's ever built.
Safe and sound by Fun in wintery Wisconsin on 04/04/2001. Trim: 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Great in snow and ice. Makes Wisconsin winters easier. Appearance sharp. My first fully equiped vehicle - fun to drive because of all the toys.
Cons: Noisy. Tough looking appearance as opposed to a sleek stylish one (newer models seem to have improved this). Gas milage is not great but feeling safe while driving in an ice storm is worth it.
Overall review: Nice truck. My first truck, and I really like being able to load up all my stuff - dog crates, dogs, friends, family, food, etc. and have room to spare. Super amount of fun accessories to play. Wonderful for navigating during ice, rain or snow storms.
Running Away from Chevy's by Sandy from Grande Prairie, Alberta on 07/27/2007. Trim: 1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: My Runner's never let me down. Keep the fluids up to date and the truck takes care of all the rest. It's very capable as a factory 4x4. Not limited to a grocery getter by any means. With 4 Lo and the factory locking rear diff you're ready for anything. Can never beat the peace of mind knowing that every morning you can go outside and it'll start and everything will work everytime.
Cons: Dislikes are non-existant. I knew from the start what i was buying so I wasn't expecting it to ride like a Cadillac or get the gas mileage of a Prius. If a capable 4x4 that keeps going and going is what you are looking for than I can't see any other option.
Overall review: I had heard all the stories beforeI owned my Runner but until i owned a Toyota I really couldn't comprehend the advantages and the justification of the cost over the domestics but once you own it I couldn't imagine anything else. I just replaced my Chevy pickup for a Tacoma for the same reasons.I've had it 4 years and knew the orignal owner for the first 7 and it's amazing how little has been done to keep this truck trucking. Routine maintence is all a person needs.