1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry Prices
1996 Toyota Camry Fuel Economy
Function over Flashy by Christine in Madison on 01/01/2013. Trim: 1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I have the XLE model of Camry bought 2.5 yrs ago. The XLE is the bells and whistles model - sunroof, power everything (very exciting for me as I came from a 97 geo prism with no extra anything), V6 (love love love. Can never go back to a V4). I put some snow tires on her in winter and she's so heavy it's like driving a tank. I've had no problems with her since purchase. And she's 17 years old! I love that they were made before the electronic sensors and gadgets that invade cars today - my mechanic loves to change her oil. The cabin is very roomy. Fits 5 people and maintains comfort. Feel like I'm taking my guests around in style. Factory speakers work well, still crisp after 17 years.
Cons: Two things I don't like: the motor for the antenna blew and it no longer goes up and down when you turn on/off the car. It still tried to resulting in much whiring so we ended up disconnecting the whole module. A new motor would have cost more than I care to spend on something so cosmetic. Next (and this one isn't really the fault of the car or the engineers since this technology wasn't around when it was built) there's no aux plug in the stereo so I can't hook it up natively to my smartphone. Then next best thing is that tape player hookup but the tape makes clicking noises I can't jam out to. Trying the over the air hookup next.
Overall review: This car isn't flashy. I have no desire to drive a flashy car because of two things: the cost associated with maintenance of the flashy condition and/or cost associated with electronic gadget failure like you see with new cars. Second, no one has tried to steal my car. I know that old corollas are stolen for their parts, however, so I will continue to keep my eyes open. I ran into my garage one night and she received some war wounds. If I had a flashy car, I wouldn't have been able to leave that alone which would equal $$$. I'm happy the heat works quickly, the air conditioning is great, the power windows work and I have a fast car with a sunroof. What else could you ask for??
Missing my Camry by Midwestern 20-Something on 05/25/2010. Trim: 1996 Toyota Camry LE, Owned 9 years.
Pros: My family has owned a total 4 Toyota Camrys from this generation (1, 1995 and 3, 1996s). Each one had at least 250,000 miles on them before accidents or the opportunity to get another one with lower miles happened causing us to get rid of them. They get great mileage (I routinely got 29/30 mpg mixed). They're about as solid of a car as you can get. Supposedly something happened to Camry's following the changes made with the 1997s and newer, but the generation before was about as sound a car as has been made.
Cons: I had to replace my master brake cylinder at around 260,000 miles, but honestly, aside from new tires and brake pads I had no issues. About the worst thing that can happen is the transmission going out, but without a doubt it's worth the money to get a new put in because everythin else WILL LAST FOREVER!!! Why more companies don't just make high quality cars like this I have no idea. The styling is pretty boring, but if you're looking at Camry's you aren't overly concerned with faux wood dashes with gadgets that come with the higher end cars and many of the American competitors.
Overall review: Seriously, these are great cars. If you're looking for a good car for your kid or for yourself, these cars are of an amazing quality. Honestly, the only reason I got rid of mine was because it was starting to rust, and I had driven a Camry for so long that I wanted a change. I've since had a few other cars, but I've been missing my Camry.
"The Ultimate Camry" by FastMomma on 10/10/2012. Trim: 1996 Toyota Camry LE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I love everything about my Camry - it has 168,000 miles on it and still going strong. I was a single person when I bought it and it has never left me stranded.
Cons: None
Overall review: Excellent
The best in driving by Mae Futrell Paris, Tennessee on 10/11/2009. Trim: 1996 Toyota Camry LE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: performance has been excellent, no problems except broken door handle and rubber trim around back doors has come unglued. Have driven car for 13 years with 86,000 miles and will continue driving for years to come.
Cons: no dislikes
Overall review: The ultimate car
Awesome Car by Pat--SD on 09/20/2009. Trim: 1996 Toyota Camry LE, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Well, ours just turned over 358,000 and sems to have developed one small oil leak. Even with the 2.2 4 cyl I still like to set the cruise at 125 mph and do just cruise for at least 10 miles to loosen her up. I do most of the maintenance and it's near trouble free. Didn't think I'd ever like driving this car.
Cons: Not much.
Overall review: Excellent vehicle. On a scale of 1 to 10 it rates a 12. Not a product of "Government Motors".