1988 Toyota 4Runner

1988 Toyota 4Runner pictures are not available
1988 Toyota 4Runner Prices
1988 Toyota 4Runner Fuel Economy
The Beast!!! by Anthony on 08/29/2011. Trim: 1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I love almost everything about this vehicle. Always fun to take the top off during the summer. Sadly I ended up rolling it, but this truck being the beast it is still got me all the way home and is still running like a champ!!!
Cons: The only thing it needs is cupholders
Overall review: I cannot say more good things about this vehicle!! Got a little over 180,000 miles and have only done minor cosmetic work. The 3.0 v6 manual has all the power you need. would not recommend the auto tranny , however with the manual you can still tow small trailers and it goes plenty fast on the freeway!! love this truck!!
Will never give my 4Runner up. (1987) by Tim from Memphis TN on 07/08/2008. Trim: 1988 Toyota 4Runner DLX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Only 2 out of 15 autos owned by me over the years were able to earn my utmost respect. A 1980 Honda Prelude was the first. My 1987 4Runner is the second and is my current daily driver. Dependable beyond belief. Ridiculous durability. Repair issues were rare when maintenance schedules were followed. My 4Runner is showing age yet performs like new and I know that the 175K miles can be doubled with proper care. I've got the top off now and I look forward to driving my baby every chance I get.
Cons: Cupholders. There's not one to be found in this truck.
Overall review: I have nothing but praise for this vehicle. Awesome example of a quality built auto that was designed to last as long as it's maintained properly. So proud of my truck, I'd recommend a 1st generation 4Runner every time. You're just not getting mine.
The perfect truck for anyone looking for a do it all machine. by Bill - Virginia Beach on 02/24/2008. Trim: 1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Reliable, even as it gets to 20 years old, it still cranks every day and gets me on my way. Even if something needs attention, it keeps going until its fixed. This is my second 4Runner, my 89 was wrecked by a semi drivers carelessness. Parts are still obtainable, bullet proof engines (V6 or 22RE).
Cons: They no longer make them with a removeable top. I love my soft top convertable option.
Overall review: I still use my 1988 as my daily driver (30 mintues 1 way) to this day in 2008. 20 years old and still looks great on and off road.
Long Time Owner by Greg on 01/26/2008. Trim: 1988 Toyota 4Runner DLX 4WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I've owner mine for 17 years (even though it says differently above) & have 260,000 miles on it. Original engine/trans, new head @ 240,000 (I've pushed the truck a little hard on occasion). Still is fun to drive (and technically a convertible). 22R-E engine with manual trans give good mileage. And it climbs dirt pretty well too.
Cons: The back seat is a little bit of a challenge to get into, but that's the price of a 2 door. Needs a locking differential for "heavy" off road use.
Overall review: It has been a great truck for me.
Best bang for the buck! by Gary from L.A. on 01/04/2008. Trim: 1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Removeable roof is great for the summer and bringing home that new 60" flat screen. 4wd works fine in mud/snow/sand. 5spd manual shifts butter smooth. First yr. V6 idles great for 385k miles! Tow's the race car and 2 jet ski's over the Grapevine, no problem! Comfortable rear seating. Styling isn't dated even today. Comfortable buckets. No ABS brakes.
Cons: New OEM parts are getting scarce. Needs more power than the 185 lb-ft / 150 hp it came with. Can be a tight fit for persons over 5'8". Independent front suspension for off road.
Overall review: Excellent vehicle for the money! Very versatile vehicle! Just as manuervable in the parking lot as off road. Reliability is as expected for a Toyota from the 80's......extremely reliable! Bought it w/ 185k in 2001 from a friend. It has 389k miles in Jan. 08. w/ original engine/trans!