1998 Subaru Forester

Subadoob by Subadoob, VA on 09/17/2011. Trim: 1998 Subaru Forester L, Owned 1 year.
Pros: '98 Forester L with the 2.5: It's been a great car, purchased used over a year ago with 98k on it. 10k later with no problems but that doesn't mean you can whip this thing around, you must drive gently with the Sub. Before, I wasn't a Subaru fan at all but this vehicle certainly changed my outlook on this make, I'll likely buy another in the future (the new Legacy looks very nice).
Cons: N/A
Overall review: Super dope
Best small SUV available. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/05/2007. Trim: 1998 Subaru Forester Base, Owned 10 years.
Pros: No.1 Perfomance; No.2 appearence; No.3 Comfort for a samll car; No.4 interior capacity for hauling; And most of all: reliability.
Cons: The only dislike I have is probably interior sun visor which does not flip down closer to the windshield, it prevents you from seeing traffic signals properly. Also lack of cup holders for driver.
Overall review: Just as I stated them.
Love Hate relationship by Megatoot, Cincinnati on 03/31/2011. Trim: 1998 Subaru Forester S, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Heated, comfortable seats, great mileage (I can get 30 out of it). Excellent heater.
Cons: Constant cooling system issues. Head gaskets are a continuing problem with this year.
Overall review: I bought the car July 2010 knowing it had blown head gaskets. They have been replaced, and it still drinks coolant like its going out of style. Car leaks oil like theres no tomorrow. Since I've had it (less than a year) have had to replace head gaskets, water pump, rear rotors and brakes, and now its in the shop for the radiator. I will cut this car some slack for being as old as it is and for having 262K on it, but Judas Priest, for what I have spent on it I could have bought a reliable used car, not this. I forgot to mention I have had to have it towed once, and narrowly missed having it towed last week. If not for the cost of repairs and the continual coolant issues, this car would be indestructible. I am undecided on getting another subaru-I do know if the radiator replacement doesn't solve the problem, I'm cutting my losses and going back to Honda.
Go Anywhere... by Scooby Dude from Los Angeles on 12/03/2004. Trim: 1998 Subaru Forester S, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Takes me anywhere with reliability, comfort, power, performance, and pretty good gas mileage (as far as SUV's go). I have never been stuck in the snow or mudd with this car.
Cons: Bad rear leg room, worthless gauge package, poor seat heaters, goes through tires pretty quickly.
Overall review: I have 109,000 miles on it and everything is still tight. The engine is strong, transmission is good (auto), and the leather isn't cracked. I had 2 minor engine oil leaks fixed, but that is really typical with a car that has over 100K miles. I will always be a Subaru owner because this car made me into a believer.
A loyal friend by Christos on 09/30/2004. Trim: 1998 Subaru Forester S, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Reliable, practical, economic. Good friend as a dog. Hard to think of getting rid of it.
Cons: You can't really ride with the windows down. Too windy inside. Before I quit smoking it was kind of annoying.
Overall review: Highly recommended! I bought it ('98 model) on '99, with 53,000 miles. A little risky but it payed off! 5 years later and 110,000 miles repair free ! Excellent vehicle. Big cargo room. Great combo if you want to have a 2-door sports car and a practical 2nd car !