1996 Saturn SL

Reliable, worry-free by Haojie Detroit on 01/03/2011. Trim: 1996 Saturn SL2, Owned 6 years.
Pros: reliable, worry-free, good mileage
Cons: runs really loud and idles high
Overall review: My saturn sl2 keeps running well on its 155,500 mile. I bought it on 2005 and never have a single problem until recently that the caliper rusted and I had to replace it. Overall I am pretty happy about it.
236,000 and still going strong... by Pat from Georgia on 08/14/2009. Trim: 1996 Saturn SL, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: 5 speed, manual transmission, no frills. I wanted / got a very reliable commuter car. I purchased it new and it now has 236,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance (oil / tires / a battery or two, etc). Still on original clutch / transmission / engine / water pump / timing chain etc. IT STILL GETS 37 mpg!!
Cons: As I said, it's a no-frills vehicle. It was inexpensive and I knew it wouldn't be the most comfortable ride. It's not. It has some cabin noise (wind) and vibrations showing up that weren't there when new. Plastic wears. I expect that in a car that's a '96.
Overall review: I'd like to say I'd buy another Saturn when this one finally quits but even before hearing that they're discontinuing the brand I'd have had to say no to a new one. The quality has gone way down in the newer ones from what I've seen.
Review ID: #541917 Is this review offensive?
I LOVE my Saturn by Carolyn from the Motor City on 04/30/2008. Trim: 1996 Saturn SL, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: After years of buying used cars, this was the first one I bought new,,,and I love it, love it, LOVE it! My little purple 5-speed Saturn, which I named "Grape 1," has been virtually trouble free. I've driven nearly 200,000 miles and have had the brakes replaced only twice, the clutch NEVER! It's starting to burn oil and look a little raggedy around the edges, but I, like one of the previous writers, plan to keep this gem of a car until it literally falls to pieces, and that doesn't seem to be coming up anytime soon. I will DEFINITELY buy another Saturn!
Cons: Welllllllll...it could be a little quieter and have a better heater, but I have few complaints. My only real complaint is the inconsistency of the dealership service centers. I bought my Saturn from Saturn of Lakeside in suburban Detroit, MI and I LOVED their people. From the sales staff to the service department and manager, Steve, everyone was personable, knowlegeable, and eager to help. The were like "family" indeed. When I moved, I could not have been more disappointed and just plain unhappy with the new local staff, management, and service department. They always give me the impression that they could not care less if I am there or not unless I have cash in hand for a new vehicle!
Overall review: Buy a Saturn! Love a Saturn! You will not regret it!
Dependable little friend by Satisfied Owner in PA on 09/05/2007. Trim: 1996 Saturn SL, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Fuel economy. Trouble free performance. Cheap to maintain, parts are inexpensive and readily available. First american car owned and have been pleased with its overall performance.
Cons: I bought the car with no a/c and the dealer claims it cannot put in an aftermarket unit because that year engine was not capable of being converted. Oh well, it has lighted cup holders! (my wife and I's inside joke)
Overall review: Have owned since 1998. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned. With 170k on it, it has never given me trouble, except for an annoying service engine light which was remedied when I changed the oxygen sensor. I have done all routine maintenance- the 1.9l engine is simple to work on and everything is easy to get to, except to change oil. It is fun to drive with a spunky spirit for a small engine. Fuel economy is exceptional! Last year with 160k on it I got 45 mpg on a trip. Daily trips avg 36 mpg. Most complain about cheap interior materials, but hey, the SL is the base model. The seats have held up great and the plastic, even if it does look a little cheap, has held up with no cracks or discoloration. It has passed my expectations for being a great, inexpensive, economical, dependable little car. I will run this until the wheels fall off. It is a reliable part of the family.
Okay commuter by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/28/2005. Trim: 1996 Saturn SL2, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Good gas mileage Low maintenance Very reliable
Cons: Small gas tank bumpy brakes noisy
Overall review: Not a bad car. Good for commuter and grocery runs. The trunk is a little awkward shaped. It has some good get up and go.