1996 Saturn SC

1996 Saturn SC Prices
1996 Saturn SC Fuel Economy
Good Quality by Vince from Michigan on 10/11/2009. Trim: 1996 Saturn SC2, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Very well built, no exterior rust (this has gone through 13 Michigan winters), aside from the headlights, bits of the hood and roof. Outstanding gas mileage. Better gas mileage than a Toyota Corolla :) I would drive this vehicle to California and back, multiple times. All to add on to the 199k miles!
Cons: Very small, difficult to get passengers in and out of the rear seating. Also difficult to keep them comfortable. I'm a teenager, and it's not really modern for me. Then again, it is a 1996, so it's going to have older features.
Overall review: Good quality build, excellent car to get to and from work/school while on a budget. Great on gas without having to buy foreign!
Saturn - 10 years and still perfect. by Myra - Saturn fan - Alaska on 08/07/2004. Trim: 1996 Saturn SC1, Owned 9 years.
Pros: My Mother bought this frills-free 1996 SC1 brand new while I was in high school for me to drive. It was a sharp looking ride, with no-frills on the inside. Awesome gas mileage, pretty good performance considering how little the engine is/was.
Cons: The interior is fairly mediocre. Don't expect to beat anyone at a stop-light race.
Overall review: This car is amazing. Bought brand new in 1996 it has NEVER been in the shop for ANY problems -- actually, there was a recall for the fuel injection-something, so we brought it in.. but no problem. Aside from the oil changes, tire rotation, ect.. this car has been a dream. Almost 10 years old, only 70,000, but its paid for and problem free. I'm not too sure about the new-ish Saturns, but this car is/was a dream. I'd recommend a Saturn to anyone looking for a problem-free, hard-to-dent vehicle.
The Red Barron by Dan on 06/10/2004. Trim: 1996 Saturn SC2, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Has rarely let me down. Has nice acceleration when you need it on the highway. Its good on gas and dont have to worry about rust in the usuall trouble spots.
Cons: Burns way too much oil. 1-2 quarts a week!! Very very small inside. cant haul anything more that a suitcase!
Overall review: Its a good car for a single person. Has been pretty reliable for me.
My Purple Car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/30/2004. Trim: 1996 Saturn SC2, Owned 7 years.
Overall review: Overall, I've had no major problems with my 1996 SC2. I was the second owner of it and bought mine in 1997 with 16K miles on it. Now in 2004, it still gets me where I need to go with minimal fuss.
Review ID: #421927 Is this review offensive?
Poor Man's Honda by Steven from Columbus, Ohio on 02/25/2004. Trim: 1996 Saturn SC2, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Reliable, efficient, fun student car, backed up by a dealer network that treats you like a Lexus owner. Parts inexpensive to replace, but are often surprisingly high quality. Superb front wheel traction in the deepest snow. Most maintenance can be performed by owner. No more parking lot dings!
Cons: Rear end is too light--I need 60 lbs. of sand back there to make it through the winter. No back seat to speak of. Windshield pillar completely blocks my peripheral view when I'm turning (almost got creamed in intersections more than once because of this). Rain and snow on rear lid dumps into trunk when you open it. Headroom is scarce (I have to get a haircut to keep my head from brushing the roof). Entry/egress is tough. Driver's mirror is manual, and is constantly moving out of adjustment. Defroster only clears windshield, not side windows. Window belt moldings lose their paint quickly. I'm burning and leaking way more oil than a babied 70000 mile engine should.
Overall review: This one is a limited edition, so it has a few things most SC2s don't, but I think they are all well equipped. I bought this used and accident damaged, and it has performed superbly for me--my only failure was the alternator right after I bought it, but the rest has only been regularly scheduled maintenance for the last 32000 miles. Love it! And after driving an Ion last week (-gag!-) I realize that this car is irreplaceable and I will enjoy it till there's nothing left but a little handful of plastic powder. Viva la SC series!