1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Not Recommended! by Dennis, Watertown, NY on 04/06/2009. Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS Extended, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Roomy and nice ride.
Cons: Engine replaced twice over 120,000 miles of driving. Coolant leaks into engine oil. GM has a fix, but it only lasted for about 30,000 before problem came back. Eventually the engine siezed up from lack of proper lubrication. Has also had many electrical problems. Consumer Reports also rates this vehicle as poor.
Overall review: Would not recommend this vehice! This was GM's attempt to catch their share of the Minivan market, but ened up designing a poor vehicle.
The ultimate of breakdowns by Mary from Sweetwater,Tn. on 04/25/2008. Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS Extended, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Excellent gas mileage up to 27 mph. Drives and rides good. Love the sliding door on both sides, easy to get in and out of.
Cons: The electrical system is terrible,just had to replace sensors,crankshaft sensor,fuses,modules,etc, including the main brain. Now the a/c and heater doesnot work. I bought the van aprox. a year & a half ago & it has been parked in a shop or in my yard waiting to be repaired for at least half of that time. The first time i broke down & had it repaired, it was in the shop for 2 months. The shop is reputable and has a reputation for fixing vehicles that other shops cannot fix.
Overall review: I will never buy another one. My brothers church owned one in Fl.,they got tired of being stranded on the side of the road with Sunday School children in it .
Not Worht the $ by Erica, NC on 06/05/2006. Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS Extended, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Decent handling and comfort.
Cons: Have had numerous visits to dealer for trouble with Transmission parts. Rated badly by CR and I wish I had known this before I purchased. The problems I had aren't even supposed to be happening to y yr. These are the problems of the 99's.
Overall review: Not worth the $ if you end up with problems like mine.
A Fading Breed by Don & Faye on 06/02/2005. Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS Extended, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Rented GS Trim while on vacation in New York State in in 1998, came home to Calif. and purchased a new GLS. We have never been sorry, it has performed very well, now with 68000 miles it is a little noisey and the side doors have a rattle or two but overall it continues to be a top notch performer. My wife and I are in our seventys now and we do appreciate the ease of entering and disembarking, it is a little awkward for some of our senior friends to get to the back seats but the grand-kids have no problem at all.
Cons: I have no negative conplaints concerning this vehicle.
Overall review: Overall I am and have been totaly satisfied with the OLDS I purchased.
none by A CarPoint Consumer on 10/04/2001. Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS Extended, Owned less than 1 year.
Overall review: nice van even though we have only had it a few days