1998 Nissan Altima

1998 Nissan Altima Prices
1998 Nissan Altima Fuel Economy
It's a car by Allison from North Carolina on 11/06/2010. Trim: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Owned 1 year.
Pros: My Altima has about 175000 miles on it right now and is still trucking along. I have a manual, and I get great performance from the car as well as gas mileage of 28 or so in town and up to 34 on the highway (but typically closer to 32)--and I drive it kind of hard. I'm the umpteenth owner, but the car's engine is still solid; it idles well, it accelerates smoothly, and there aren't any weird noises. Also the body style is such that it's still pretty classy, even though the car is now twelve years old. I also learned to drive a manual with this car, so that's nice too.
Cons: At about 155000, the transmission went out, and I had to get a used one installed for about $1600. The AC has never worked for me (I got it at 153000), and I would need to replace the compressor to get it fixed. The brakes squeak despite there being nothing wrong with them (as told to me by two different mechanics), and the driver's side visor falls out randomly while I'm driving. It doesn't even scare me anymore. When driving, there is a lot of wind noise and a good deal of rattling, and the ride is kind of bumpy. Also the volume knob on the radio works very erratically (sometimes you turn it up and it turns down, sometimes the volume just changes while you're driving).
Overall review: This is a great point A to point B car. I keep her around because I drive from Durham to Atlanta every weekend and the gas mileage is great. (And because I can't afford a newer car yet so I have to rationalize keeping this one.) I fully expect her to get to 250 or 300000 miles, but I kind of hope she's with someone else by then because I'm not sure how pleasant the driving experience will be.
A great value by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/13/2004. Trim: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Owned 4 years.
Overall review: A joy to drive. I bought this car while I was in college and have driven it all over the country and in all different weather conditions. It always handles like a champ and many have believed it to be a much more expensive car than it actually is.
Not a bad car by Mike From South Dakota on 06/23/2003. Trim: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Great ride, great interior comfort, very good at road trips (even with 4 large adults!), great balance for fuel economy and performance,
Cons: suspension a little on the soft side, brakes could use an upgrade, has a tendancy to eat through the brake roters, window rattles like an SOB, not a porche
Overall review: I bought this car so I could see my fiance a about 4 hours away every weekend. See, I had previously owned a Heap of a Jeep and was getting sick of paying too much for gas and I believe this day I have made the correct decision. Other than the fit and finish window problem the car is great and I would recomend it to anyone.
Nice and reliable car by Aleksandar, CA on 02/09/2003. Trim: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Appearance, price/quality ratio is very good. Decent power for a 4 cylindar engine.
Cons: Inside part of the driver's door goes too deep inside, obstructing the space for left driver knee.
Overall review: This is not a high-end vehicle, but it gives a lot as comparing to the price.
Average person's great family car by A CarPoint Consumer on 08/13/2002. Trim: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Owned 1997 Accord.. This Altima beats Accord mostly all levels
Cons: Horrible fuel economy. In summer it gives no more than 23-24 on highway and in winter drops to 18-19 on highway.
Overall review: Over all great for all kind of driving