1997 Nissan Pickup

1997 Nissan Pickup Prices
1997 Nissan Pickup Fuel Economy
Good Truck If you Don't Abuse It by Will from Tennessee on 01/25/2012. Trim: 1997 Nissan Pickup XE Reg. Cab 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: If you keep up with the maintenance on these 2.4 engines, they last forever. I bought a used Regular Cab XE 2 wheel drive with 160K on it. The guy I bought it frim was the 2nd owner, the 1st being his brother, between the 2 of them there was an amazing amount of documentation on maintenance of the truck, I replaced the timing chain at about 164k because one of the guides had broken, when we pulled this engine apart, it was amazingly clean. The oilpan had ZERO buildup or junk in it, the top end was just as nice. I run it on Mobil1 and non-ethanol gas, and it runs like a top.
Cons: The 5 speed could certainly use another gear, it winds up pretty high on the freeway, and when you let off of the gas pedal it feels like you are applying the brakes. It also has a bit of wind noise at highway speeds. Outside of those 2 issues, I cannot think of anything else that I would consider a Con.
Overall review: All in all, if you are looking for a low cost pickup, and can find one that is stock and well maintained like I was lucky enough to do, these trucks are great. I would suggest avoiding the ones that have been modified, (alot of these trucks were altered during the lowrider craze), and keep up with your maintenance, you will be satisfied with this truck. When you do need to repair something, the pick and pulls generally have alot of these and the pathfinders for parts.
Supertruck by Landon on 07/13/2012. Trim: 1997 Nissan Pickup XE Reg. Cab 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I loved the handling of this pickup the best it always seemed to not fishtail on gravel and not slide around like my parents vehicles. I also like how it can do the work of a full sized pickup if you ask it it might do it slower but it can do it, i had my "supertruck" as i call it covered in mud as if it was a lifted 4 wheel drive most of the time and it has no rust at 160,000 miles
Cons: repairs, the timing chain seems to fail on the 1997 model my grandpa replaced it then sold it to me and i replaced it and a leaky intake manifold after only 30,000 miles it did always run and drive nice even on three cylinders with the leaking manifold
Overall review: I really love this nissan it always starts except once when the temperature was 15 below zero with a foot of snow on the ground and the wind chill was about -35 so all in all its a tough little pickup
The Peoples Truck by Austin from Oklahoma on 01/23/2013. Trim: 1997 Nissan Pickup SE King Cab 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The 97 Nissan pickup or "Hardbody" is a nearly bulletproof truck. The 2.4L SOHC (Single over head cam) 4 cylinder engine in it practically ran nissan in the 90's and is hard to kill. I myself am the 2nd owner of my King Cab 4x4 SE and it about to roll over 250,000 miles and still running strong with the original engine and transmission that has had nothing other then normal maintenance such as regular oil changes and replace worn clutch plates . There are lots of aftermarket parts you can get for the engine because of its abundance in the nissan world and for very fair prices. The handling is very responsive and the four wheel drive option with lockers makes it almost impossible to get stuc.
Cons: While it is a great truck for town and rural use it dosent have the size or gearing for extended highway use making lots of wind noise past 60. the gearing in the transmission is very close making it tack quickly with little results in speed topping out quick.While the ride is nice when hard impacts come it dosent have the weight to make the suspension soak it up. The engine while it is a great little thing likes to rattle seeming loose due to loose wrist pins from factory. The only other problem with it is over time the carpet likes to catch the clutch pedal making it hold down
Overall review: This truck is an overall amazing truck that will last you forever if you JUST TAKE CARE OF IT. It would easily feel at home as a city runner or a farm truck with endless versatility and bullet proof build it can match if not exceed larger trucks with agility and great fuel mileage for a truck. A beautiful profile that some may call "Cute" hides a rugged soul underneath ready to take on whatever you could throw at it .
My (gonna be) half a million mile truck by "Drivin" from Columbia TN on 12/26/2012. Trim: 1997 Nissan Pickup Reg. Cab 2WD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: It is easy to handle on the road and easy to park about anywhere. It looks good for a small truck. It's just a really great truck.
Cons: The seat sits just a little bit to straight up.
Overall review: I bought the truck with 95000 miles. It now has 410000 on the original engine. I did have to replace the timing chain at 386000 miles and the truck needs a transmission now. I am replacing the transmission because the engine is still running smooth and quiet enough that I believe it will run long enough to be worth the cost. It does use a half quart of oil in about 7000 miles. When it is half quart low I know it's time for an oil change. Love love love this truck.
Its my truck by Ski in houston on 10/03/2012. Trim: 1997 Nissan Pickup Reg. Cab 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Everything except the leg room
Cons: Not enough leg room
Overall review: Buy one or two NOW!!!