1990 Mitsubishi Montero

1990 Mitsubishi Montero pictures are not available
1990 Mitsubishi Montero Prices
1990 Mitsubishi Montero Fuel Economy
GREEN MACHINE by SPORTY on 06/06/2009. Trim: 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4-Door, Owned 4 years.
Pros: my sister GAVE ME THIS CAR IN 2005 HAD TO GET A COMPUTER FOR IT OTHERWISE IT STLL IN GOOD SHAPE
Cons: NOTHING
Overall review: EXCELLENT
The Mighty "Monty" by Warden Memphis ,Tn. on 12/16/2007. Trim: 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4-Door, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: This is truly a big truck ina small package , I bought my Monty at a police auction for 400 dollars hopeing it would hold up till I could get another Ramcharger or K-5 Blazer. That was 1 years ago ond 230,000 miles it was only a year old and had 16,000 miles . I can say for sure that it has changed my mind about it "dimunitive size" as I have always had plenty of room for all my cargo and passengers and my dog. I cannot complain myself about Top Heavy" street handeling as just recently I had to make an emergency 90 degree turn at 40 m.p.h. to avoid a caddiliac that ran a red light. which they say is just the trick to flip one of these top heavy SUV's and I'm still here with "Monty"
Cons: well my one complaint is that it is slow as molasses in traffic always was . but once you accepted the fact that your drag racing carreer is over once you have aquired one of these you can enjot about 20 of pretty much trouble free operation. oh yea the designer who figured out how to make the pvc valve completely inaccessable should be drawn anquartered to a painful demise if you own a V6 model you know what I mean. Another complaint is the difficulty in locating parts but thanks to the internet this is now easy .
Overall review: This Sport Utility Vehicle is alot more Utility than sport. I have towed trailers of 6,000 lbs. and only been stuck twice . although it seems underpowered and sluggish on the street , once you shift the 2 speed transfer case into low range this little beast cam move your house if you feel so inclined. If you are in the market for a good dependable used suv than I would advise you to get a Jeep . there Ain't enough of these jewls left to go around and they are mine !!!!
Review ID: #520231 Is this review offensive?
The Ultimate Machine by Monty from Colorado on 09/17/2007. Trim: 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4-Door, Owned 8 years.
Pros: This beast is indestructable. . . amazing, really. I've owned them all, and the Montero is by far the toughest, longest-living and capable SUV, hands down! I purchased used in 1999. Handles like a tight dream on the road and a pre-Dakar off - VERY stable if you know how to drive. Roomy as they get - don't know how much, but it's a helluva lot. Excellent power with the 5 speed if you use the motor properly (rpms). Did I say indestructable? 212k hard (oftentimes brutal) miles all across this great country.
Cons: For what I want and also like in a vehicle. . . can't think of any worth mentioning. Wait, got one. . . better piston rings: mine began to smoke a little, but only at idle, around 160k. It still smoke a bit at idle (hasn't progressed or faultered, and I'm at 212k). If I keep the rpm's up to 1300 (rather than 750 idle) it doesn't smoke at all.
Overall review: Yes, I've replaced some basic, typical parts (clutch, clutch master, harmonic balancer), but the engine, trans, entire drive-train and suspension has been amazingly without issue. I cranked up my torsion bars a bit, so my ride is stiff and it handles the roads great! I run 32 AT's which gives my Monty all the clearance you'll need. Selling Monty would be akin to loping off my arm. The paint and body are w/o rust and straight and shiny. Interior is cavernous and great for camping or hauling. The 4wd capabilities are nearly limitless - I guaranteed you'd be shocked if you've seen the places I have gone. . . and the speeds I have gone! A little top-heavy but really very well balanced and not too noticeable in the right hands. If you can find a straight 1990 V6 5 speed, grab it and thank the Gawds for their gift!!!
Amazing Montero by Josh from the Middle of Nowhere on 03/17/2007. Trim: 1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4-Door, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: This vehicle is very tough, excellent off road, and has held together nicely despite all the abuse that it has been given. The handling in my opinion is exactly what one would want in a 4X4. Even though it is heavy and clumsy on road, it is perfectly weighted and communicative when it needs to be. There is plenty of torque for towing and the automatic transmission always seemed to be in the perfect gear. The four-wheel drive system was easy to use once I figured it out and it has worked very well. There is plenty of space on the inside and all the seats are comfortable. It has always been reliable despite the high mileage and gas mileage isn't bad for a heavy SUV.
Cons: To say this vehicle is slow is a gross understatement. The little V6 just doesn't produce nearly enough power for a vehicle this size. This engine was tuned for low rpm torque so that does make a difference. The handling is very poor at high speeds and the body leans a lot in turns. All this is to be expected in a vehicle of this type and age though. Parts are hard to find and will usually be very expensive.
Overall review: Overall this truck has been absolutely amazing. My parents bought it when I was ten and both my sister and I were taught to drive on it. I am now a senior in college but it is still my favorite vehicle to drive. When originally purchased, it had 99,000 miles, however, it now has over 227,000 miles and is still running very well. It has been used for everything from commuting to work everyday to towing a camper on vacations and off-roading in the desert. It has been very reliable and has never let us down. It has a lot of character and even though it isn't much to look at, it’s still a cool truck.
Over 380K miles and still strong! by Montero lover from Colorado on 09/04/2005. Trim: 1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Reliability! From maintainence to every time you drive it, you know what it's going to do. A very capable machine that's truely become part of our family.
Cons: With 380+ thousand miles on the beast, it gets expensive replacing the timing belt every 60K. They do have a tendancy to start smoking a bit after about 120-150K miles. Also, it does not handle like a sports car, but more like an apartment building on wheels when cornering. But then again, it's not supposed to be a sports car, and we've never had a handling problem with any of the 3 monteros we own in any on or off-road situation.
Overall review: Classic boxy style like the old Jeeps or FJ Land Cruisers. Unheard of reliability in our case- we bought our 1990 Montero new in 1989 and now have 382,000 miles on it! We've rebuilt the heads once, besides that the car is origional- except for the 'normal' parts that wear out like clutches (averaging 120K miles per clutch), alternators and batteries. We've only been stuck it the snow twice, and that's saying something because we have literally been in floods, fires, 4 wheeling, 3 foot snow drifts... about anything nature could throw at us and we've never had a problem, and in fact rarely do we use 4wd the car is so well ballanced. We now own 3 monteros ('84, '91, '90) and we've NEVER been left anywhere by any of them. Considering that's over 700,000 miles totally on all of our family fleet (and more every day), you won't hear us complain! Our whole family can't recommend them highly enough.