1999 Mercury Mystique

1999 Mercury Mystique Prices
1999 Mercury Mystique Fuel Economy
Affordable Sporty Sedan by Lisa S. from Everett on 02/28/2007. Trim: 1999 Mercury Mystique GS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Sporty appearance. I love the wheels and the wing on the trunk. I also like the way it handles. This car looks sporty yet roomy enough for my whole family. I only paid $2500 for GS Sport 5-speed manual. I feel I got a lot of car for my money. This car has power windows, cruise control, CD player, power mirrors, and power keyless locks for easy entry.
Cons: Dont use the cup holders! Everything I've ever put in them has tipped over and spilled on the carpet. A mess to clean up. Other things that haven't held up are: the passenger window, which is off track and wont go back up; the fan for my heater/defogger/AC only works on "High", for some reason low and medium dont work; oil bath on my spark plugs when giving my car a 100k tune up, I think it needs a new valve cover gasket. This car cant miss any maintence tune-ups. I've noticed that I could go longer without a tune-up with my import cars than I can with the Mercury Mystique.
Overall review: Affordable decent car.
Mercury Mystique LS- nice car, poor dealership. by Darwin's Myth- from Illinois on 03/20/2011. Trim: 1999 Mercury Mystique LS, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Very good acceleration. Very good handling. Comfortable to ride in, in the driver's seat, anyway. Great heater for cold weather driving. I love the body style, compared to the comparable Ford Contour. No problems with the electric windows, electric seats, and electric door locks. I bump my head every time I get into my wife's 2002 Saturn SL, but NEVER my Mystique LS, where I have plenty of head room. When the back seats are folded down, I can transport 10 foot boards in the car, with the trunk lid down, never having to use a red flag, while most truck beds need to. Has great, unrestricted exterior viewing. I only have 41,000 miles on my car, so it still runs like new.
Cons: I had the dash board replaced after I bought it, from warpage, the stereo system never worked properly, the engine and air bag lights came on when nothing is wrong... they're still on today. I think, Mercury must have gave me the worse cosmetic parts in the plant. They did fix the dash right away, but they NEVER fixed the stereo system. I blame the attitudes of the Mercury dealership, more than I blame the car. I'd suggest, replacing the stereo system with an after market one. The car is now 12 yrs. old, so parts will be very hard to find. It has 20 less horse power than does the 1999 Ford Contour. The horn is hard to push down. Check timing belt regularly; I'm on my 2nd one.
Overall review: It's too bad, Mercury stopped making this car. They would've been better off by improving it. My car is 12 yrs. old, and it seems to be holding its value very well, at $2850, and with only 41,000 miles, it's probably worth more. I love my car, BUT, I very much hate the company itself, who gave me the runaround when they should have fixed my stereo system. My Mystique has many strengths (i.e. engine, handling, head room, etc.), but it does have some weaknesses (i.e. squeaky suspension, poor dealership). With some loving care, I plan on keeping this car for another 12 yrs. When a problem happens, fix it immediately before it gets worse and cost more. And, change the oil.
WATTACAR!!!! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/15/2009. Trim: 1999 Mercury Mystique LS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I had a very good experience with my Mystique. It was basically trouble-free until suddenly, the timing belt broke.
Cons: I disliked the suddenness in which I broke down.
Overall review: Generally speaking, this is the best car I ever owned. I was VERY SORRY to trade it in......
It's not worth a penny!!!!!!!!! by Marlene on 03/13/2006. Trim: 1999 Mercury Mystique LS, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I fill the car up with $25.00
Cons: I bought the Mercury Mystic use with 51,000 miles, after I bought it I had to fix the air blower for the a/c. 3 mth later the check engine light came on I had my mechanic check it $75.00 the catalytic converter had to be fix I called Meineke they told me they couldn't fix it since my car exhaust system is cover up to 80,000 ml. I took it to the dealership $121.42 they told me it was the components not the catalytic converter.Meineke won't work on my car since under the EPA the dealership is responsible.The dealership is charging me $1425+ labor.To top it off I can't even pass the emmisions test to renew my registration and Meineke can't get the parts either.
Overall review: I woudn't recomend this car. And as a single mom I need a reliable car to get around and this car is not. I sad part of it is that I can't even afford to by another car.
A Chevy convert by stargazer, OHIO on 11/15/2005. Trim: 1999 Mercury Mystique LS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: A very quiet comfortable car. Excellent for long trips. Both the front and real seats have great support. Great leg room in the rear. My daughter is 5'6" tall and has never complained about feeling cramped.
Cons: The only problems I have found have been noise in the brake system. A check found no problems, just noise when the breaks are applied harder then normal.
Overall review: When I bought this car, I told the salesman I did not want a black car, I did not want a white car, I did not want a 4 door car, and I did not want a Ford product. I bought a white 4 door Mercury Mystique after he finally talked me into taking it for a test drive. It has over all great pick up, and a comfy quiet ride. I am very happy with this car.