1997 Mercury Mountaineer

1997 Mercury Mountaineer Prices
1997 Mercury Mountaineer Fuel Economy
Extremly pleased. by Mack on 10/11/2004. Trim: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Old car has 234,560 miles and still runs fine.
Cons: MPG isn't good, but you can't have everything.
Overall review: I like this Mountaineer so much that I bought a 2002 as well, and plan tp buy another in 2005. I think the 1997 is the better built.
best truck by ronnie on 07/08/2013. Trim: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: we love the truck very much
Cons: none
Overall review: nice truck
reilable luxury by derek on 09/08/2008. Trim: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: V8 engine has tons of power. Accelerates better than most sedans, despite being a large truck. 65/35 torque split AWD is one of the best systems ever conceived, never loses traction, even in the deepest of snow. This thing handles snowy roads better than my jeep cherokee! interior quality is good, nice sound system. Massive 6500lbs towing capacity, durable engine, sunroof is nice.
Cons: Poor fuel economy, 12 city 17 hwy AWD system components should be inspected regularly, CV boots have a tendancy to split. some people report reliability issues with Transfer case. "keyless entry" system is pointless
Overall review: Great truck, would recommend to anyone, have not had major issues.
MY MOUNTAINEER by ASHLEY HOUSTON,TX on 09/13/2005. Trim: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I LIKE THE WAY THE VEHICLE HANDLES, IT'S A SMOOTH RIDE AND DOESN'T FEEL LIKE YOU'RE DRIVING A LARGE SUV
Cons: IT SITS KIND OF LOW FOR ME
Overall review: OVERALL, I LOVE MY MOUNTAINEER AND WOULD RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR A USED BUT GOOD RELIABLE SUV
Ultimate SUV by Andrew, Minnesota on 06/23/2005. Trim: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: I was impressed by the standard power and handling of the Mountaineer, considering the size and weight of the vehicle. Acceleration is rather good and close cornered city maneuvering is above the average. I now have 190,000 miles on my Mountaineer and have had no major work done on it except for a new transfer case at around 175,000 miles. It has been really good to me over the years, having owned it since 1999.
Cons: The only thing I have against my Mountaineer is the lackluster fuel economy, but this did not come as a surprise. With a V8 powered vehicle weighing over 2 tons, this has to be expected. I drive mostly highway miles and usually observe around 16 to 17 mpg combined.
Overall review: From the day I bought my Mountaineer, i was impressed ny the interior amenities. With leather interior and dual power seats, I and my passengers ride in comfort. Interior storage capacity is good as well. The exterior styling drew me to the Mountaineer when I first saw it. It has a simplistic beauty to it, with flowing lines and the two tone Maroon and grey paint looks really nice. I have taken my Mountaineer across the country many times, hauling a near capacity trailer from Minnesota to New York City and back twice, to driving to Montanna through Glacier National Park from Minnesota; my Mountaineer has never let me down and continues to impress me. I also do a lot of backwoods driving through Northern Minnesota year round and have never had any problems even in some pretty treacherous situations. The AWD combined with Bridgestone Dueller AT/Revo tires has lead me safely through mant tricky situations. I have installed a K&N performance intake and Flowmaster exhaust.