1998 Mazda Protege

1998 Mazda Protege Prices
1998 Mazda Protege Fuel Economy
Fun, sporty, and reliable economy car! by Bert on 02/26/2013. Trim: 1998 Mazda Protege ES, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: The Protege is a fun car to drive, especially when equipped with the 1.8 liter engine. Gas mileage is great (28 city, 32 hwy). My Protege has been extremely reliable. I'm the original owner and have never had any problems with it. I'm good about maintaining my vehicles. Service when needed is usually inexpensive and parts are readily available.
Cons: In a word noise. There is no mistaking the Protege for anything but an economy car. Even in ES trim, like mine, road noise is excessive.
Overall review: The 1998 Mazda Protege is a fun car to drive. It's not a speed demon, but the 1.8 liter in my ES is very peppy and it never has any problems in the acceleration department. Handling is quite good too. It's an economy car that is reliable and fun to drive.
someone call 911 by geo on 10/11/2010. Trim: 1998 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I have two that ran well over 150,000... but they have to be painfully maintained... tho very relable... the motor is 'free wheeling' should the timing belt break ...
Cons: the Pro ES was ONLY made for 2 model years ('95-'96 &'97-'98) ... the ES is a 6% of about 50,000 further complicated by having both FED. emissions and CA/MA emissions. If you buy one plan on the cel never going away. The mass air and cold air intake hose / brakes /shocks /and cat/ both o2's ... should be replace if the car has high milage ...
Overall review: There are small problems that make u hate this car. It is cheap to buy and very reliable ... but u need to be a mechanic ...
This car as good as it gets. by Ted on 08/22/2007. Trim: 1998 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 9 years.
Pros: 9 years, 130K and it holding well. Nothing falls off, nothing rattles - quality assembly and materials. Seats are clean (never washed) - quality fabric. Body paint is excellent - no rust anywhere, still shiny. Head lights are still clear (ask Corolla owners what am I talking about). Comfortable - I drove for 6 hours non-stop many times.
Cons: Weak exhaust materials. First pipe burned in 6 years, second - in 7, and it still 2 more to go. Chassis (not the body) rusting too much (compare to any other cars I had).
Overall review: It is a good car. It feels not much different then when it was new. Runs smooth and strong. In 9 years the only problems I had - couple of exhaust pipes and A/C clutch. Also, it needed alignment after 120K. Other then that - just maintanance. For the compact car it's been perfect. I got it new and still have it and this is already a good sign. I still fill that this car is not done or I would buy another.
Good car,buy by Baltimore on 07/07/2006. Trim: 1998 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Good car
Cons: No umph, its missing the zoom, the commercials talk about, but what do you expect from for 4 cylinder.
Overall review: Good vehicle
Small, Reliable Car by webpundit on 01/27/2005. Trim: 1998 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I've had only one major expense on this car since I purchased it 3 years ago. That's excellent for a used car (I think!) It's a small, easy to maintain sedan. Fantastic mileage! I got 30 mpg! (combination of highway and city driving)
Cons: I had to get the Catalytic Convertor changed. If it was not covered under the warranty it would've cost me $800! The only thing about the car's performance that I dislike is it's poor acceleration power. But I guess that's to be expected because it's a small car. The car seats are not ergonomic and often result in back pains for a lot of people.
Overall review: A good car that requires minimal care. If you're going to use a lot of gas, this is a great little affordable car that will cut down on your gas expenses.