1996 Mazda Protege

1996 Mazda Protege Prices
1996 Mazda Protege Fuel Economy
mazda by An MSN Autos Consumer on 08/07/2010. Trim: 1996 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 7 years.
Pros: mpg
Cons: hp
Overall review: 4 people plus ac on. better walk
CHEAPLY MADE by Harry from Sommerset, PA on 07/12/2003. Trim: 1996 Mazda Protege DX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: ECONOMICAL MPG; RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE; CUTE
Cons: A/C HAS GIVEN PROBS; BRAKES NOISY & PROBS; REAR DOOR INSIDE PANEL TORE APART; HESITATES ON INITIAL START
Overall review: WOULDNT BUY ANOTHER MAZDA; CHEAPLY MADE; EXPENSIVE TO SERVICE
Rolling Junk-bucket by knuckleballer from Mass. on 04/05/2002. Trim: 1996 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Nimble, eats bumps like popcorn, great gas mileage, giant trunk.
Cons: Left and right wheel bearings broke down early, cassette player melts tapes better than it plays them, engine gave out at a little over 100,000 miles, wiper mechanism falls apart, and shop cost is HOW MUCH PER HOUR???
Overall review: I intend to keep a car until it rusts to death, and so I expect it to hang in there well after 100,000 miles. I'm past that but not without way more expense and unreliability than I imagined. Maybe this is one Mazda lemon out of 10,000, but I won't buy another Mazda.
The best used car in the world by BoomLee on 07/08/2013. Trim: 1996 Mazda Protege LX, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I get 40 mpg to this day, super comfortable ride, little to no maintenance
Cons: The car is not for you if you want it to go really fast really quickly. Accept the fact that you will be in the right lane going up hills and you will be okay.
Overall review: I adore this car. No other car can beat it's gas mileage or it's overall longevity. 167,000 and going strong.
Best 12K car ever! by Farmerandre on 05/31/2012. Trim: 1996 Mazda Protege LX, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: It was inexpensive and got great mileage with the 1.5 engine with the 5 speed manual! It had a lot of room, front and back seat with a very large trunk! Oil changes were easy and maintenance was minimal. It rode pretty well for a car its' size and tire wear was excellent!
Cons: I do not own it any more!
Overall review: We had the car for 162,000 miles and it still had the original clutch in it. We had the car for 12 years and never had to have it towed, we donated it away because we were ready, or at least at the time we thought that we were ready to move on and the original alternator was needing replacement!