1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata

1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Prices
1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Fuel Economy
Most fun things are impractical. This is one of them. by Miata Driver in Eugene, OR on 08/23/2005. Trim: 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 4 years.
Pros: It is the coolest-looking car for the money. 15 years after its introduction, non-car people still think it is a Ferarri or something, especially if it is painted look-at-me red like mine is. Driving home in it can improve your mood after a bad day at work. Running errands becomes fun. It is surprisingly reliable. I enjoy the support of Miata clubs and websites. It is mechanically simple (e.g. manual top) so repairs and maintenance are much less than other cars, especially other sports cars. It's fun to drive because it is so responsive and so low to the ground.
Cons: Driving with the top up feels like driving a pup tent. I don't like knowing that any serious collision will probably result in death or major injury. Unless you have a lot of friends or not much stuff, it isn't an option as an only car. I bought back my trade-in after 3 days so I could take my guitar and amp places. Although there are plenty of romantic stories about driving cross country in these things, I find that trips longer than 90 minutes become excruciating due to the tight fit (I'm 6'2 / 225.) I bought mine without A/C thinking what was the point in a convertible? There is a big point on days when it is over 85F - the sun will broil you. I end up taking my Volvo with A/C.
Overall review: If you have the room and you always wanted one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was 15 when they were introduced and I finally bought mine used when I was 25. Sometimes I question having it when it is gathering dust in my garage in November-March, but on that first sunny day in Spring when I reinstate the insurance, shoehorn myself into the seat, turn the key and hear that distinct exhaust note, I remember why I have a Miata. It isn't perfect - more expensive sports cars do a better job blocking the wind or holding drinks, but these problems are solved with aftermarket solutions (though not as attractively as in Z3/Z4 or CLK/SLK cars.) Finally, in a society where attractiveness and status artifacts count for a lot, I have found that I get treated better when people see me drive up and get out of it. Whether or not that's right, I use it to my advantage when I have to (househunting, job interviews, etc.)
Bugs in your teeth by robthelimey on 02/06/2002. Trim: 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Modern-day version of the classic Lotus Elan with all of the benefits of 35 years of evolution in car design and technology. Near-perfect handling characteristics. Affordable. Beautiful styling. Totally reliable.
Cons: Rear quarter visibility when the soft-top is up.
Overall review: If ever you wanted to drive a car that never fails to bring a smile to your face but don't want to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for the privilege, the Miata is the car for you. Yes, it has its quirks. That's part and parcel of it - it's called character. No, there's not much room. It's a 2-seater soft-top: what do you expect? Sit in one. Fire it up. Blip the throttle. Engage first gear. Pull away smoothly. 2nd. 3rd. 4th. Listen to the exhaust note. Heal and toe back to 2nd. Pop it into a right-hander. On the gas. Too early? Correct the mild oversteer. Just right? Back up through the box to do it all again. Whether the sun is out and the roof is down or otherwise, do it once and you'll understand. Then simply laugh at the Mustangs and Camaros of this world for their drivers know not what they do. Laugh louder at the BMW Z3s, for their drivers paid too much.
'96 Miata by Matthew from South Carolina on 07/07/2004. Trim: 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It goes back to the roots of driving your traditional roadsters. Truely a joy without having to go back to the an old problematic MG. It's a driver's car.
Cons: The only con I have is the soft aluminum body and a few rattles.
Overall review: I just love my '96 MX-5
The Miata of your dream! by Lynda from Florida on 07/11/2002. Trim: 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 6 years.
Pros: This is the best car ever.....very economical on gas and the performance is great! I would suggest to buy a standard , you will appreciate the "sport car" feeling better! I had no problem with this car .....still look like new!
Cons: Only a 2 seaters, and a small trunk.
Overall review: Super!
The word's best roadster by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/16/2001. Trim: 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The car handles like a dream. It gets decent gas mileage for a sports car. Overall, its a blast to drive. On top of that, its convertible, what more could one ask for?
Overall review: Inexpensive, terrific, sports car.