1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata pictures are not available
1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Prices
1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Fuel Economy
Enthusiast
The most fun you can have with a car with an average price (now) of 3,000 by Taggs from Texas on 08/12/2012. Trim: 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Pros: Parts are still readily available, and you cannot find better support aftermarket with any other vehicle out there. Have a problem? The internet is loaded with forums about THIS SPECIFIC VEHICLE that will help you out with good sound advice, and numerous parts stores where you can buy OEM or better quality, aftermarket parts. From body panels, to engine components. Its 1.6l engine is so common that finding a replacement engine is also quite easy, and usually cheeper than rebuilding a broken one. If the engine is cared for, its bottom end will last forever, with the top end only needing a rebuild every 200k or so.
Cons: Its a little cramped for a tall person to get into if you don't know how. Once you know how, getting in is easy. The passenger leg room is cut into by about 2.5 inches for the ECU, and because of its age, buying a used one will usually mean playing catch up with its major service intervals. And insurance companies will salivate to total the car for even the slightest accident. .. even if you can do the repair for less than a hundred bucks. Simply because of age.
Overall review: A very worthy car, with alot of aftermarket potential, support, and a strong community of enthusiests. Reliable, fun, good to drive, Good-not-great-on gas, and with just a little money thrown at it, can put enough power to the pavement that 60% of drivers won't be able to handle it. Done right, this car makes an excelent first car, or second car, or even just a fun car. its inexpensive to own, a pleasure to own, and its looks are good enough that it still turns heads when people see it.
Stunning BRG Special Edition by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/05/2012. Trim: 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Razor-Sharp handling. Stunning British Racing Green paint.
Cons: Could have more power off the starting line.
Overall review: The most recommendable car I've ever owned!!
Reliable Top Down Fun! by misterears on 04/26/2009. Trim: 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 3 years.
Pros: nimble handling, smooth responsive engine, easy quick shifting, good mileage, low insurance, top down fun, low purchase price, lots of aftermarket goodies, easy and low cost to maintain and repair, good size trunk for such a small car, easy to park.
Cons: a bit plain and effeminate in appearance, weak headlights, single pop up headlights not my favorite for looks (but dual low profile available in aftermarket), could use a bit more acceleration.
Overall review: I have owned 21 cars in my life (including a V8 Porsche and a turbo Porsche) and this car is the most fun to drive in sunny warm weather on smooth roads....by far! That plus the low cost, good mileage, updateability and ease of parking....it's a classic! I lowered and stiffened mine and put a body kit on it and added another $6k in aftermarket items. It's unique now and was way ahead of its time in 1991....I still get folks asking me what it is and waving to me on the highway. Even crotch-rocket bikers give me a thumbs up. It's a terrific car and bargain.
The Best Low Cost Sports Car by Dave on 03/11/2003. Trim: 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Wow - what a car! Over 241,000 miles and I can't kill the thing. I drive it hard (to redline at least once through the gears EVERY time I drive it) and have done so since I bought it with 66,000 miles. Interior held up well. Therapeutic - a bad day at work? Put the top down - by the time you get home it's all gone...
Cons: The early ones, including this one, have too much cowl rattle (not nearly as much as those rattle-trap Capri's, though). They fixed most of that on the later models with braces. Not much else I can complain about...
Overall review: I really can't describe how much I love this car. If you figure gas, oil, tires, clutches, headlights, EVERYTHING I have EVER spent on it - this car has cost me just over 15 cents per mile to run. Figure that in with the amount of fun it has provided and there's just no comparison for a fun 3rd car runabout.
Honest review- a really good sports car by The green turtle from Vancouver B.C. on 11/10/2000. Trim: 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Have owned my green Miata for 7 years. Only problem I had is the power window motors which were replaced ($250 each) and the stereo which sometimes doesn't turn on. Otherwise it is great car. You already know about the handling. Did you also know that I take mine skiing at Whistler for the weekend? I put on 4 snow tires and I can go anywhere front wheel drive cars can go. The car seems to skim over the snow. In the summer, it still gets admiring stares for a 10 year old car! I also take all my hockey gear in the trunk!. Overall, I would definitely recommend it as the oil changes and brake pad replacements can be done by any one that can turn a wrench.
Cons: The main thing I don't like is that I can't see over the SUV's out there. It's like I'm staring at everyone's bumper. It sometimes feels a bit vulnerable! It could also use some more power, but you get used to using all the power band, althought the exhaust note can get loud on long drives. Once I'm out of the city, smog and SUV's it really rips around the country and gets 28mpg to boot. A glass rear window would help in those winter months too.
Overall review: I would recommend this car to anyone who wants the wind in your face driving while also having Japanse reliability. It is a blast to drive and you never get tired of the exceptional handling. I have compared it to other 2 seaters but I think this car has the best performance/reliability of the bunch Just remember there's only space for two and luggage space is minimal.