1998 Lexus GS 300/400

1998 Lexus GS 300/400 Prices
1998 Lexus GS 300/400 Fuel Economy
Best Car Ever by 5 years of expirence on 05/22/2010. Trim: 1998 Lexus GS 400, Owned 6 years.
Pros: PLEASE take this recomendation seriously, I have owned the lexus gs 400 for 5 years and all I care about is cars. This car is fast, Ive beat a bmw 645, infiniti g35, kept up with an e-55 and beat a S2000 on the highway and kept up with a porche 911 convertable on the highway, I laugh at at tricked out hondas and volkswagons. Besides the speed it is the perfect blend between luxury and performance, no 5 series is as smooth as this car, and no e-class (besides e-55) is as fast. It is a reliable car and all I did was change the oil and put premium gas in it.
Cons: When in shop it is expensive, dealer service is great, they give me another lexus as a rental. The nakamichi stereo sounds is great when its working but after a while you will have to replace the amp. I had 4 tv's in the car (2 in head rest 2 in visors) a 2, 12" subwoofers and an alarm which may be the reason why my battery would fail if I didnt start it often. My break pedal felt soft it could just be mine cause my brother's gs is stiffer. No matter what winter tires you put on this car it drives fine but will get stuck if parked in heavy snow. Dealership visits are costly and towards the end I just started going to trusted garages. The programing for garage door is impossible to do.
Overall review: Pros and Cons. PROS... My brother has a gs aswell but its a 300, I suggest if you looking for a gs get the 400, I cant tell the difference in gas mileage but I could really tell the difference in performance. There are not too many 400's out there but it is worth the hunt. CONS... . On cold days when driving the car at first the car hesitates just make sure you warm up the car first. If the keys are in the ignition when you fill gas the fuel guage will not register. OVERALL VIEW... The best overall car I've driven and i've driven them all from honda civics to chevrolette Z06, It has both luxury without a borring drive and it has performance with a comfortable ride. The only reason I dont have it now is because I totalled it on the highway, and didnt even have a scratch on me, very safe. There is not 1 person on this site that knows this car more than me I've has it for 5 years and my brother still has his, so please take my advice if you can get your hands on a 400 dont hesitate.
JUNK + HYPE by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/24/2007. Trim: 1998 Lexus GS 300, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Styling, silent engine noise, handling
Cons: If you don't want to waste your hard-earned money, please read my review below first. Don't always believe at other peoples' positive ratings. EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE REPLACEMENT PARTS
Overall review: May be everyone recommend this car. But I don't. Here is the reason. One word. "Reliability". I bought it with 104K miles with clean history. Fairly OK miles by Japanese car standard. Within 2 weeks of purchase, AC broke down while driving under normal condition. I treat my cars well. Never abuse any of them. AC compressor was burnt and all of its parts has to be taken out of the entire AC system. AC compressor, AC clutch, exp. valve, rec. dryer had to be replaced. Turned out Japanese car parts are far more expensive than US parts. Cost of parts alone = $1520. Total repair cost is $2600. If you do not want to be "ripped" by these unreasonably high costs of maintainance, never buy a used Lexus. Being a Japanese car, and name Lexus is just a "hype". No more comfortable than US cars, no different interiors, bells and whistles. Reliability = ZERO Buy new if you want Lexus. That is the best advise you get from a honest used lexus owner.
Low maintenance sports sedan by A CarPoint Consumer on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1998 Lexus GS 400, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: A great low maintenance alternative to the BMW 540i. A better performer than the 540iA, but I prefer the feel of the 540's sport package... but not it's maintenance.
King of the road by Bassem on 01/31/2008. Trim: 1998 Lexus GS 400, Owned 6 years.
Pros: - Reliability - Performance - Handling - Interior quality - Touch-screen navigation - Auto-transmission with Manual shift override - A LEXUS !!
Cons: Absoultely nothing.
Overall review: Reliability is the main selling point for me. I've been driving Lexus cars since 1995 and I do not recall ever visiting the repair shop for anything other than regular maintenance. The GS400 in particular is an extremely well built car, 300HP, precise handling, touch screen navigation. I owned that GS400 for about 5 years now and I am extremely satisfied with it.
LEXUS BEATS LEGACY LUXURY IN STYLE & SUBSTANCE by MSH on 02/15/2009. Trim: 1998 Lexus GS 400, Owned 4 years.
Pros: This pre-owned was a beauty in the ad photos, but an absolute stunner in person (inside & out). It was already 7 years old when I bought it, and still almost factory-fresh clean. I thought the dealer made a mistake and was showing me the wrong car! Just about everyone thought the car was brand-new! This car is as reliable as it is beautiful. It drives smooth and takes inclines and corners effortlessly. Very easy to drive. Great for road-trips.
Cons: The cd-changer stopped working 1 year after I bought it, and costs more to fix than it does to buy a "new" one...Lexus only offers a refurbished replacement, but charges $670 for it...and that's just for the part. Also, there's a short in the radio somewhere, so the digits in the radio face are cut-off...which has progressively gotten worse. Apparently, this is a common problem for this model. The passenger door-lock only works manually now. Head and leg room could be better. Gas mileage is low and gets worse over time.
Overall review: Keep in mind this is an 11 year old car. I bought it with over 100k miles on it and that was four years ago. Most complaints about this car are either purely cosmetic, normal wear and tear, or just come with the territory of owning a high-end vehicle. To this day, I get compliments on my GS400 and haven't needed a single major repair. The overall quality, styling, and reliability of this car are unbeatable and stand the test of time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone in the market for one in it's class.