2014 BMW i3

Test Driver
Fun to Drive by Bucket List BMW on 06/29/2014. Trim: 2014 BMW i3 Base.
Pros: Acceleration was snappy, it was much quicker than I thought an electric vehicle could be. A smile on the face when hitting the pedal. Handling was great too, turns were nice and flat no body roll.
Cons: Don't like how fast it slows down when taking foot off of accelerator. It's like the brakes come on. A few days and I believe I could adjust to it. Something different.
Overall review: Really surprised with the performance and comfort of the car. BMW has put the fun factor into a green car at a price that does not top my two bedroom condo.
Back to the future with body on frame (carbon fiber on aluminum) by ezshift5 on 08/05/2014. Trim: 2014 BMW i3, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Regenerative braking is the best feature. Carbon body structure is the future. I3 is 1000 lb less than my volt resulting in over twice the EV range. Ad a few gallons fuel capacity to the onboard generator system and you would have 300 mile range and perfection. Seat belts are a little cheep and not up to the quality of those in the Volt. Performance is exceptional. Way to go BMW!
Cons: Wish the carbon construction could be highlighted more. Perhaps replace the eucalyptus wood on the glove box and dash reveal with a molded carbon fiber fabric to give it some BMW class and emphasize the carbon construction.
Overall review: Overall BMW has taken a big leap into the future of auto mobility, production, vertical integration, material selection, etc. They deserve to be rewarded with strong sales. However they will have to be patient because their customers will have to try hard to keep up with their innovative thinking.
Steven by Steven on 07/31/2014. Trim: 2014 BMW i3 Base, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: NOTHING!!!
Cons: The Car
Overall review: Stay away from this car
Mixed Feelings by ezshift5 on 08/29/2014. Trim: 2014 BMW i3 Base w/Range Extender, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: My I3 is zippy and fun to drive. I love the cruise control that adjust to the traffic speed. The car practically drives itself. The interior feels a lot more spacious than it looks from the outside. I love the orange color and the fact that hardly anyone else has a car that looks like mine. I did get a discount on my P, G & E bill, which is nice. The interior leather looks nice, but the recycled materials on the dash looks like they didn't finish the cars interior.
Cons: It took me a little while to get used to feeling like I was alwasy driving on an empty tank of gas, as the estimates as to how much electriciity are not accurate. It all depends on the driving conditions and how you drive. They might be more accurate, if you primarily did city driving. The car won't go above 55 miles per hour when you have used 1/2 of the gas. It's dangerous to only go 55 on CA freeways. There should be an override feature for this. The car needs better speakers and a CD player. The hatch doesn't have an automatic opener. The I3 has too many safety features. I often have to go back the driver's door and unlock the car to get into the passenger side or the hatch.
Overall review: This car iis best if you're driving primarily in the city. Even though it says it has anywhere from 65 - 80 miles of electricity fully charged, you won't get that many. Count on 50, if you are doing freeway driving. Eco Mode will get you a few more. Even though I fully charge my car every night, my I3 is range is not consistent Some mornings it be 65, others it will say 78, others 90, etc.. The range for the gas is much more reliable. If you are driving under overpasses, the cruise control will turn itself off saying it's not a safe area to operate. The price was high and the dealers would not negotiate based on low invent ory. My I3 was in the shop 2 times within the first month of ownership for software updates. The dealer/manager didn't even apologize. The second time I had to fight not to pay for the gas for the loaner car. I just got a another call last week to go in for a third software update. I got a new car not to have to deal with repairs.
Monster by An MSN Autos Consumer on 08/05/2014. Trim: 2014 BMW i3 Base w/Range Extender, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Pretty much everything. It doesn't use gas, yay. Instruments and controls are easy to use. Acceleration is fine. Comfort is fine for short or long distances. It is well laid out. Enough cargo space for what I wanted. Digital speed readout.
Cons: Sound system could be better. Suspension is a little stiff over bumps. Price seems a little high.
Overall review: You have to remember what you are buying here. Anyone who expects to travel distances can't. It's forte is big city driving where you sit in traffic jams not expending any energy while others watch their fuel gauges go down. The radio is not the best, but they need to keep things light and driven with a little power as possible. You do get used to the slow down from taking your foot off the gas. It is fun to drive, easy to park, and did I mention that it doesn't burn gas? You do need the BMW quick charger, the standard 110 V unit won't cut it. This will be an extra approximately $2000.