2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

2013 Volkswagon Jetta Hybrid by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/04/2014. Trim: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Handles great! Hugs the road. Took it on a road trip and truely gor 42 mpg average. Very comfortable ride...front and back seat. Alot of trunk space as well.
Cons: "Check engine" light has gone on twice with less than 7,000 miles on odometer. Had it checked out at dealership and they haven't been able to find reason for it. Keyless entry also works sporadically. Doesn't sense that I have key in my pocket. Already had a recall on transmission. Dealership has been great to work with but feel that a brand new car should be problem-free for atleast 50,000 miles!
Overall review: Overall, I enjoy the car and hope it will serve me well over time.
Two Thumbs Down by VDubberDRG on 06/29/2014. Trim: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium, Owned 1 year.
Pros: it's nicely equipped, nice styling.
Cons: Gas mileage is nowhere near the estimated sticker numbers. Cold / hot weather decreases the mileage to what a regular Jetta's gets. I've had numerous problems with check engine failures, i.e. cold start issues, numerous stalling while driving complete power failures. I've had two very serious safety life threatening occurrences happen while my car - vw is trying to figure out the failures. MSRP is to high.
Overall review: 2013 VW Jetta SEL Prem. Hybrid From my personal experience I cannot recommend this car.
Hybrid for the masses by bill from Philadelphia on 05/20/2014. Trim: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid SEL, Owned 1 year.
Pros: My ratings are based solely against other Hybrids. Through the winter I averaged a total of 41mpg. My highest obtained average was highway driving to Missouri from VA where I achieved 51mpg. It drives very well and handles excellent. I'm not a fan of lots of interior's that include a lot of buttons/options. I feel that this one is a great mix of simplicity and technology. There's certainly plenty of room for adults in the rear and the battery pack looks more intrusive than it really is once you try to pack the trunk. It's difficult to really think of any downsides. There's plenty of power for daily driving and it'll get you up to speed nicely.
Cons: Downside? You won't get great mileage if you don't hypermile or drive it the way other hybrid's will force you. I'm not sure most owners realize that their driving style and climate is the biggest detractor from mpg's. There was a green car website that achieved 60+mpg's with this vehicle. The other issue is the brakes. It feels like most hybrids to myself but the car is so well designed that the brakes stand out like a sore thumb. They aren't bad. They're just glaringly different from the way the rest of the vehicle behaves. I haven't found another hybrid that's better though. Price is the last downside. But I found mine for $23.5K
Overall review: Great vehicle overall. It provides the flexibility of driving as frugal or carefree as you'd like and still seats 5 comfortably. My other vehicle is a full size sedan diesel. The diesel has much more torque for get up and go but besides that it's a toss up. I always hated hybrids...but not this one.
A pleasure to drive. by Peg on 03/06/2014. Trim: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid SEL, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The cab is extremely comfortable and roomy, both front and rear seating areas. The two-tone leather seat option makes for a sleek interior look. The trunk, although smaller than a regular gas engine sedan, is definitely adequate for a road trip with bags for up to three or four people. The turbo is a nice feature and gives great pick up on the highway. Sunroof feature is great as well as heated seats.
Cons: The braking is very touchy and took a long time to get used to. Although this car gets good gas mileage, we have owned it for almost a year and it has never gotten the advertised 48 mpg on the highway. The usual gas mileage is around 40mpg.
Overall review: Overall, this car is a pleasure to drive!
Enthusiast
Das Jetta Auto ist sehr nett. by Michael; Pittsburgh, PA on 03/06/2014. Trim: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium.
Pros: It has a different style of hybrid drivetrain than other brands of car that seems to make more sense. I also like the looks, and the fact that it's a VW. Getting over 40 MPG doesn't hurt, either.
Cons: If I remember correctly, premium fuel is required, which gets costly.
Overall review: I really like this car, and hope it to be my next.