1999 Volkswagen Cabrio

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Prices
1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Fuel Economy
greenvw by Love this car on 11/03/2008. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Styling, The way it handles in traffic, tight and doesnt shimmy over bumps
Cons: The worst quality in a car I have ever owned. Power top stopped working because of a 400 dollar hose, didnt fix because Ill put it up and down myself for $400. $2800 transmition, $700 steering rack, $300 power window, $400 mass air sensor and the list goes on.The worst Customer service from the dealer and even worst from VW of America.Dont even cosider a VW of any kind, unless you want to be treated badly by VW.
Overall review: Run dont walk away from any VW
So far I'm happy by Nicole from Newport, TN on 08/23/2004. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: i love everything about this car, although i have only owned it for 2 weeks, i am very happy....i get great gas mileage, and i love the sportiness and comfort, i get a lot of compliments on the looks too
Cons: like many others the motor in the top was broke when i bought it, however i lucked up because the dealership i bought it from promised to fix it and they have, no money out of my pocket!! And YES the brakes are very loud in reverse
Overall review: I dont know of a single car out there that doesnt have a bunch of bad reviews about them. There is bad cars in every make and model out there, you just have to hope you get a good one. I hope mine is as good as I think it is.
BEST CAR EVER! by CabrioLover from Columbus, GA on 07/29/2004. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL, Owned 4 years.
Overall review: I love this car! It is so fun to drive, and it's very practical with gas mileage.
VW Cabrio: POC model by Jen from DC on 05/11/2004. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It gets great gas mileage, avg. 32 mpg! Handles great, esp. in rain/snow. The instrument lights are very cool-looking, hands-down the best of any OEM. Heat & a/c come up to temp very quickly and work very well even in extreme temperatures. Great acceleration at higher speeds (eg: passing on the highway), and engine doesn't rev loudly when you're going up hills with the cruise control on. Low engine noise. No body rattle, the body is very solid.
Cons: Where do I start? The dealer has it more than I do. I am the original owner and can't wait to get rid of it, but I can only sell it to someone I don't like because I couldn't do that to a friend. Major, expensive engine repairs. Windows go up/down at their whim. Doors are falling apart. The paint looks awful--chipped/pitted from normal use. Reverse gear (manual trans) is broken. Yep, can't go in reverse. Cupholders will barely hold a dixie cup.
Overall review: I would only recommend it to the sucker I'm going to sell it to. The biggest disappointment of my life. I wanted one of these cars since I knew what cars were, and it was the first new car I bought. I put every penny I had into this car, and then some. I have no idea why VW's hold their value so long when they are this awfully made--I bought it for $19K five years ago and am selling it for $10K, so I can't complain that I didn't get a good deal (except for the $5K I put into expensive, out-of-warranty repairs). VW dealerships are no picnic, either. Try waiting 6 wks to have your undriveable car even looked at! If you choose to buy a VW, you won't need a mechanic, you'll need an electrician. Or an exorcist. Or a very good attorney, to sue the pants off the dealership that sold you the piece of junk.
German Cars are Very Fickle by Hans from Washington, DC on 04/26/2004. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GL, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It handles well in rain, snow, all conditions. Corners like a sports car. Stops on a dime with the ABS. No door/body rattle. Has good pickup for 110 hp., but most of all it gets 35 mpg! It is also very, very easy to park, so I find I can fit it in spaces that nearly every other vehicle was too big for. It also held up great in two fairly serious accidents that destroyed two Hondas--in one, a new Accord was crushed & my VW looked like a shopping cart hit the door.
Cons: I bought it new & hold the 12/100 original warranty. I sure need it. At 44K the air pump went--$1500 and I had to fight VW to cover it, let alone give me a loaner car. Only 2 weeks later the water pump went, another $1400! My favorite: the dealer told me at EVERY oil change/tire rotation that I didn't need brakes...until the rotors were completely gone at 50K and it was...yes, another $1200, for 4 brakes/rotors!!!
Overall review: This car never stranded me once, always started right up. But when something goes wrong, it goes REALLY wrong, and is very expensive to fix if not covered under warranty! If you have to pay out of pocket, do NOT go to any dealership, go to an independent who works on VW/BMW/Audi and you will pay literally 1/2 of the dealer price. I had the same problems as everyone else on this site: pieces of the interior fall off; the windows go up/down on their own; there is a lot of wind noise over 55 mph; the seats stain if you look at them. Also, if you are a smoker, forget it, because if you roll the window down a half inch when it is even slightly raining, water POURS in the windows. The radio has bad reception and turns itself down to