1999 Toyota Avalon

1999 Toyota Avalon Prices
1999 Toyota Avalon Fuel Economy
OK 1999 Avalon XL by A CarPoint Consumer on 06/21/2002. Trim: 1999 Toyota Avalon XL, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Maintenance costs are low; MPG is good; pleasant vehicle to drive
Cons: White body paint is none too durable. Surprised that the vehicle has depreciated in value to point which is below that for the originally cheaper 1999 Honda V6
Overall review: Satisfied with the car
Reliable with low maintenance by Doug on 03/28/2011. Trim: 1999 Toyota Avalon XL, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I have had my Avalon for 8 years. I bought it with 35K miles and it now has 225K miles. It has been Fantastic. I do a lot of driving and I make sure I change my oil every 3K-5K miles. As long as you do your regular maintenance, this car has been problem free. My mechanic just explained that I may need new struts soon but these are the original. It still has great acceleration and I have no concerns taking a 700 - 1200 mile journey at any time. I have only used regular gas since day one and my mileage is right in line with what is expected. May keep it and give to my son in 6 years for his first car. Of course, by then it will be close to 400K miles.
Cons: none
Overall review: Great Car. Only just breaking in when it hits 100K
The ultimate family sedan at a reasonable price. by paterbob from Saco, Me. on 11/21/2002. Trim: 1999 Toyota Avalon XLS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: reliable, quiet, plenty of room, comfortable seats, good mileage for size,good highway performance
Cons: Ride and performance could be sportier
Overall review: a good family auto that emphasizes reliability rather than sporty performance.
Boring by Stu, Lauderdale, FL on 02/01/2002. Trim: 1999 Toyota Avalon XLS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Reliable transportation good fuel economy room for six with a trunk to match
Cons: Poor build quality of the body A BIG Bore to drive
Overall review: If you want to enjoy drivintg this is one car to avoid
A functional car, but NOT a Lexus by Nicholas from Davis CA on 10/24/2001. Trim: 1999 Toyota Avalon XL, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The price is right. What outwardly appears to be Lexus quality costs significantly less than any price you would find on a Lexus lot. The build quality is impressive, and I have 71,000 miles on my 99 Avalon, and there still are few, if any, rattles. Acceleration is brisk, and because the car is so lightweight, you actually feel a pretty impressive jump when you punch the accelerator. Engine noise is hushed, and it is nearly impossible to determine if the car is running in idle. During acceleration, the most you hear is a snarl. Quality of interior materials is Lexus quality, and the comfort of the car for passengers is superb.
Cons: Sloppy steering, and although it has fairly nimble handling, the steering is a major disappointment. One word describes the suspension: CHEAP. On most surfaces, cabin isolation is superb. However, in other conditions every bump yields an extremely annoying clunk inside the cabin -- and you really hear the road at 85 mph. Acceleration is impressive. However, don't get the car without Traction Control, because it makes hitting the gas too much a chore -- the Avalon is so light that it's easy to spin the wheels. The transmission is very dissatisfying. Problem we noticed from the very beginning was drivetrain lash. It gets very annoying in city traffic.
Overall review: If you're considering the Avalon, I have one word for you: LEXUS (ES300, that is). Of course, the Avalon has more than fulfilled my needs and I've really never had a major reliability problem with the car. But if you want a car that goes above and beyond pure function, and makes driving more enjoyable, get a Lexus.