1998 Kia Sportage

My little red Kia by Janie up north on 07/25/2009. Trim: 1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 10 years.
Pros: I have had the vehicle for 10 years, and have driven it every day. My job required me to travel constantly, and living in the rural northwoods of Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, I had to depend completely on the reliability of my vehicle. I used my 4wd, sometimes daily in certain months, and did have early on problems with the front hub system (that had several recalls to replace) but it was wonderful to be able to drive on sheer ice, and get through some very tough weather & road conditions. It has been very reliable, and have had good gas mileage on going. I now have 169,000 miles with everything still working well. I plan to keep it, until it finally drops dead.
Cons: Depending on where you live, and purpose for this vehicle can make a difference, as it does drive well on frwy's, but it rides a bit rough. It does well for what it is designed. The retractable cupholder on the front dash does not make access to car function buttons....you have to take out your drink, push it back in to be able to use certain options. But it is a minimal problem taking everything else into consideration.
Overall review: This has been a very reliable vehicle for me, and doing basic maintanence (oil-changes, fluids, etc) it has continued to do the job for me, everyday, for the last 10 years. I have 169,000 miles so far.
The College Kid by Kevin on 01/12/2009. Trim: 1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like that it was cheaper. A good first car for myself, a college student. It's not too bad on gas but could be better for a 4 cylinder
Cons: The engine problems. I have had to replace the Master Cylinder, an Oxygen Sensor, and a MAF solinoid. I also have trouble with the IAC solinoid, because it gets clogged and has to be cleaned. The parts are semi-expensive compared to other companies. There is no power to this vehicle, so don't buy it if you want speed. Its ok for Grandma and Grandpa, if an SUV is their style. The cabin has air leaks, and the defrost it not very effective.
Overall review: Overall, this is a okay starter car. Not for a commuter. Good for a student or older driver.
DO you feel lucky ? Well do you ? by Mr.Mann on 07/05/2007. Trim: 1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Fun to drive. . .manual trans makes like driving a big go- cart
Cons: repairs. repairs, repairs. . . did I mention repairs ?
Overall review: Bought this car beacuse there was a need for a second vehicle. price was excellent but former user had a dog that "ate" the seatbelts. Couldn't believe the dealer was gonna sell as is w/o. That shoulda been my warning. Check engine light came on after 2 months of ownership. Has not gone off since besides the shock, struts, brakes, (dealership replaced tires, now I see why) numerous engie problems, (air works like a champ) 4x4 does not work and wahteer else may come up. Car stopped running before the winter for whatever reason why and have not started since. Can't wait to dump it. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE . . .you will roll the dice if you do
worst car i ever had by bernie from indiana on 10/17/2007. Trim: 1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: nice looking suv.not bad on gas.
Cons: cant use gas if vehicle doesnt run.kia dealership couldnt even fix the problem.
Overall review: will never buy another kia product.noone seems to be able to fix them.not comfortable ride at all.
Its an ok SUV. by WV FAMILY on 09/04/2007. Trim: 1998 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I love the room we have a family of 5, and 2 are still in car seats and we have room for everything.
Cons: No Acceleration, unless you turn off the AC then you get a little back.
Overall review: It's a good starter car for our family.