1997 Jaguar XK8

1997 Jaguar XK8 Prices
1997 Jaguar XK8 Fuel Economy
timeless beauty by tim st.petersburg on 02/01/2010. Trim: 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Owned 10 years.
Pros: probably the purest looks of a classy sportscar ever. the balance and lines are exceptional and timeless. i have owned my jag since 2000, and never seem to tire of that initial spark when i first look at her in the a.m. ,as i have owned 2 corvettes and 1 911 my jag turns more heads than either car.
Cons: in reading prior comments in the negative department, i also do share negatives such as poor material qualities such as the visor mirror spring falling apart, the center console beverage clip breaking, dash rattles, moisture in my headlights,[third set], dash lights burning out, a transmission replacement, suspension components, and h20 pump impellar breaking, and like anything else, having extremely poor dealer/customer support and concern other than wanting to take mine in trade and selling me a new one, after quoting me a small ridiculous fortune to repair. i highly recommend a second opinion/quote with any repair needed, as i have saved thousands by doing so.
Overall review: a gorgeous car with exclusivity, but the frustration that after the purchase service and support by "qualified" jag dealers is the absolute draw back. purchase one with at least 15000 dollars in escrow for" stupid" repairs. find a good secondary repair facility.
Better than a Trophy wife by Goodrub on 02/08/2005. Trim: 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Owning this car is like having a Trophy wife... everyone looks at you with envy. What a kick to drive. I love the way it handles, esp in the hairpin turns. When I kick the accelerator to pass, it takes off like a rocket, pushes me way back in the seat and literally jumps like the cat it is. And speaking of cats, there is nothing more beautiful than the purr when she idles or the roar when she passes. And all of this while averaging 21 mph (city/highway combined)
Cons: I bought my car used about a year ago, with 60K miles. It obviously had not been well taken care of and I had to replace the transmission within 5K miles.. to the tune of $2500. And a number of small problems that one shouldn't have in a car that cost $70,000 new. A rattle in the dash, the springs in the cover over the visor mirrors are broken (how did that happen?), the plastic latch for the center console broke. Also, tire selection is limited to 3 mfgs and the cheapest cost almost $800 for the set.
Overall review: I love my XK8. She is an absolute joy to drive! But like a Trophy wife, she can be expensive to maintain. But then, she won't go out with your best friend or complain that you watch too much football, either.
Buyer beware by Knighty from PA on 04/07/2006. Trim: 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Beautiful styling, wood interior, good acceleration.
Cons: ENGINE. I had to put a new $10,000 engine in at 45,000 miles. Beware as this is a common problem with this car, as is overheating. In total repair costs tallied $18,000, mainly due to numerous engine malfunctions. I couldn't get rid of this car quicker.
Overall review: This is the 5th Jaguar I've owned, and unfortunately the last. I love them so much that every time I buy a new one I give it the benefit of the doubt and think it won't break down. However this is yet to be the case. I've had problems with every XJS and XK8 I've ever owned. They are great cars to look at and drive when they work, but are rediculously expensive to repair, and you have to repair them often.
No Jaguar DNA in this cat by Strycat on 07/08/2008. Trim: 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love the looks, mainly the front.
Cons: No feedback from steering, feels the same on sand, asphalt, parking or at 90mph changing lanes, can't hear the engine, back end pops loose on turns at slight increase in throttle, car smells like plastic not leather, back seat totally useless, front seats needs to have more adjustment range, and seat bottom is too flat, you end up with a wedgie from sliding forward, this is my 8th Jaguar and the only one I've ever been disapointed with.
Overall review: A soft, cushy car, exciting from the outside, boring from the drivers seat. Sir Williams would not of approved this car.
Great convertible for cruising in style by Gears on 02/04/2008. Trim: 1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Great convertible for cruising in style. NOT a real sports car. But smooth. Not extremely fast, but fast enough. Very comfortable with a large trunk considering the car type and even a couple of extra rear seats. Great looking car and very affordable in the used car market.
Cons: Poor brake performance is what bothers me most. Also the fact that many suspension parts barely last for 30k miles. I had to replace ball joints ect. repeatadly. Most front end suspension parts start becoming "loose" and noisy after 30k miles. And now again at about 80k miles. Eats front tires due to an alignment schedule unique to Jaguar. However, no major issues with engine and transmission. Dealerships like to cheat. They diagnosed a traction and ABS control fault message and stated I need a complete module for $ 4,500.-- !!! I double checked after the iniital shock and found the fuse for the ABS pump motor blown. After replacing the $ 0.25 fuse everything was fine.
Overall review: It is a great car overall. I like it a lot. Of course there are better and more "perfect" convertibles out there. But the everyday usability is great. Eventhough the car is no 10 years old it still looks and drives like new (thanks to some TLC) . Considering for the low price in the used car market you can get a lot of car for your money. BUT be careful and check carefully if the car is maintained properly. Otherwise take a pass or plan on spending on repais.