2012 Volkswagen Golf

Perfect fuel effecient car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/13/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 2-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It's a fun little car. I am averaging 42 mpg, 50 highway. It has exceeded my expectations. The interior is awesome, with a touch screen control standard, heated seats and hook-up for my ipod directly to the stereo. It is very quiet, and you feel like your driving 40mph at 90mph.
Cons: nothing so far
Overall review: For anyone that cares about getting awesome gas mileage but wants something that is more exciting than a Prius.
Great Car by Joe on 06/28/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great Car....faster than expected with the 2.5L
Cons: No Console on the base model
Overall review: Looking forward to the 2013 model
Golf R by Georgian on 05/24/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R 2 Door w/Sunroof & Nav, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The car feels very solid, very nice interior.
Cons: It is a little trickey getting in to the back seat (2 door). The front seats don't seem to slide as far forward as those in the GTI 337 I owned, makes access to the back seat a little difficult.
Overall review: I've only had the car for about 5 weeks but so far I'm very pleased. I enjoy driving the car, it is comfortable and fun.
Golf TDI base by TDI in Delaware on 08/20/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Gas mileage, handling, fit and finish, heated seats standard, free service for first 3 years (although oil only needs to be changed every 10K), fog lights.
Cons: Very little storage.
Overall review: I 've owned this car about 6 weeks and I'm getting between 35 and 45 mpg of mostly city driving, filling up once a month. The seats are comfortable for me (I'm 5ft.6) but side bolsters are high and make it difficult to get out of. I hate that there is very little storage space. My sunglasses don't fit in the sunglass holder. The arm rest is only big enough to hold a phone and there is a small "ashtray" at the bottom of the console. That leaves 2 small cupholders and the door. The door does have a lot of space though. I don't own an I-phone, and this car is wired with an I-phone jack in the armrest. It has no usb port, only an a/c jack. I'm not a huge audiophile, so this is not big deal for me. The diesel engine is very quiet compared to the Matrix I traded in. The manual shifts very smooth, and the handling is great. I'm looking forward to using the heated seats. I'm very happy with my purchase after looking at a ton of cars. If you fit in the seats, you'll love this car.
An Inexpensive Driver's Car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 08/19/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 4-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Small enough for city parking (yet carries 4 adults in comfort), EXCELLENT handling... the chassis seems very balanced (also has traction control, stability control & ABS), cleanly designed interior and exterior, responsive engine (surprisingly high power-to-weigh ratio for a base model), 10 airbags, 'hill hold' (very useful here in San Francisco).
Cons: Mileage is sub-par, I get about 29 mpg highway and sometimes as low as 15 mpg here in San Francisco. The engine is also a bit rough; if does not have too much torque at low revs and vibrates a bit at high revs. I really wish there was a center console (in my base model) and a better stereo :)
Overall review: My previous car was a Mustang GT and while my new (base model) Golf cannot compare in raw power, it feels far more sophisticated. This car handles far better than a Honda Civic, is far more agile than a Camry (though less comfy). And hybrids cars like the Prius and Insight give great economy in comparison, but are horrible to drive The GTI is a pretty awesome car (and I keep wondering if I should have bought it instead), but the $5k saved is pretty significant. One car that is (in my opinion) almost as good at the Golf is the Mazda 3 hatchback. (You may want to comparison-drive it). I chose the golf because it was quieter, had a more spacious back seat and better styling (subjective). If you're looking for an inexpensive driver's car, this is it!