2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Prices
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Fuel Economy
2 3 4 5 6  Next
The Little Diesel That Could by Rhett H, Houston, TX on 05/26/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2.0L TDI w/Sunroof & Nav, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I have owned several diesel vehicles, and this one, by far, outdoes them all and even most of that's vehicles I have owned and driven in terms of performance and power feel. I traded in a 2010 Toyota Corolla sedan, with the base 1.8 liter, and this jetta TDI will drive circles around it......without losing traction too! With 1200 miles on the odometer, the mileage only continues to improve. I live outside of Houston, TX, so my drives are very mixed freeway/city/rural. So far, I'm averaging between 35 to 40 mpg, checking the mileage manually. The computer fudges a bit, perhaps 1-2 mpg. It also handles just as well as a BMW 5 series I tested and for a lot less money.
Cons: For the first few hundred miles, the DSG transmission bucked, as one other reviewer complained. However, since the computer has had time to adjust to my driving style, it has really smoothed out. I also suspect that this is due to the two clutch plates breaking in as well, since it is essentially an automated manual. Also, I don't understand why VW couldn't make the new TDI biodiesel-compatible, but such is life.. I would have given it a ten for interior styling, but they could have done a better job positioning the cup holders and given it a storage console, rather than the typical German arm rest lever. Also, I wish the map could pan on the nav system.
Overall review: Nav system and cup holders aside, this is a fantastic and solid car that feels much heavier than it actually is. It drives like a tank and the doors close like a bank vault. It reminds me of a Mercedes I used to have from the pennical of their quality during the mid 1980s. I would recommend to anyone with a family or the need to haul more stuff than you can fit in a sedan to put out the extra money and get the wagon. If you can swing the tdi, all the better, but I'm sure the gasser would serve just as well. You will enjoy the stout handling, smooth and powerful acceleration and low maintenance of the leatherette seats. Also, VW's customer care maintenance package is pretty attractive as well.
The little wagon that could. by RR on 12/02/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2.5L S, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The thing that I love most about my car is the value. I have the base model S and I feel I am getting a lot of bang for my buck. For $21,000, I am very impressed by all of the standard features that the car comes with as well as the vehicle build quality. The car just feels well made inside and out. I also like the versatility of the car. I am able to drop the back seats forward and use the large cargo area to haul things around town. I feel that wagons are unfortunately underrated here in the states but I would prefer having a wagon over an SUV or CUV any day.
Cons: The one grip that I do have is the gas mileage. It's not bad but it's not great either.
Overall review: I have owned German made cars in the past but this is my first VW and I'll admit that I was skeptical to buy it. VW hasn't always had the best reputation. Friends of mine that have owned them either love them or hate them. I feel like it's a luck of the draw. Either you get a good one or you don't. After doing a lot of research and then test driving one, I was very impressed and decided to become part of the VW family. I've only had the car for a year and if it continues to hold up the way it has for years to come, then I will be a very happy camper.
Know what you are getting into! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/15/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2.0L TDI w/Sunroof, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Built like a tank, gas mileage, fit and finish, handling
Cons: DSG transmission has very high maintenance costs every 40,000 miles which VW does not inform buyer. First three oil changes are "free" at the dealership then the 40,000 tune up is $950! Manual transmission does not have this high cost. Also, the windshield wiper control is confusing and the cruise control is on the direction signal control which is awkward at first. With the added cost of diesel fule (40-50 cents more a gallon in Alabama than regular gas), the extra $2,500 or so for the diesel engine, and the added high maintenance costs, not sure the Jetta is that great a deal afterall - especially with so many gas burners returning 30 plus miles a gallon.
Overall review: see above
Great family/stuff hauler by Deisel boy Racine,Wi on 04/29/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Fabulous mileage, getting anywhere between 42 and 45 on the highway. Lots of room and comfortable seating for those long trips. Had a recall and it took about 30 minutes to fix. VW sent a apoligy letter and a $50..00 inconvinience visa card!! Nice touch. Daughter and son-in law took it to Florida from Wisconsin tool 4 tanks round trip, about 28 gallons total. They loved it and are going to buy their own. Blue tooth is a really nice touch and it come with the car!!
Cons: Controls on steering wheel for phone, seems when I'm turning I hit the thing and the prompt comes over the speaker. happens too often for me. Out side of that it's darn near perfect!
Overall review: For a comfortable ride and very good handling the sprotswagon TDI is a great choice for those who need a family car or to haul stuff around or both. It's not the loud diesel sounding vehicle any longer.
Best car I've ever owned by Grandpa from Massachusetts on 10/21/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 2.0L TDI, Owned 1 year.
Pros: As others have observed, this car is built like a bank vault. I'm probably a bit crazy to do this (I just turned 70), but I still do my own oil changes, because I want it done correctly, with the engine hot. This means I get under the car, which most owners do not. The quality of the stuff, such as the suspension components and exhaust system, that you don't see unless you do this, is extraordinary. The mileage is better than advertised (I've averaged almost 44 mpg over nearly 14000 miles of mixed suburban and highway driving). Acceleration (produced by torque, not horsepower) is excellent. Good handling and fun to drive with the 6-speed stick.
Cons: I'm not a tall guy, but a little more clearance in the front door openings would make getting in without hitting your head easier.
Overall review: Just a superb car. I've owned two Mercedes diesels, a 1965 and a 1970, but diesel technology is a completely different proposition now. Diesels are inherently 50% more efficient than comparable gasoline engines and they last longer, since the fuel does not dilute the engine oil. They are also safer in a serious accident, because diesel fuel does not catch fire nearly as easily as does gasoline. Why diesels are not as popular in the US as they are in the rest of world is a bit hard to understand. I replaced a Prius with this Jetta and for the same money and comparable fuel efficiency, there is just no comparison between the two cars. The Jetta is more comfortable, higher in quality (the Toyota hybrid system is complicated and expensive and they wrap a cheap car around it to keep the price where they need it to be), better handling, more powerful, and a lot more fun to drive.
2 3 4 5 6  Next