2012 Volkswagen GTI

2012 Volkswagen GTI Prices
2012 Volkswagen GTI Fuel Economy
Good All Around Vehicle for Spirited Driving (Former BMW Owner) by Todd on 04/19/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 4-door w/Convenience & Sunroof, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: With an APR Stage 1 Tuning and Low Restriction intake, this car will accelerate with authority (even with odd throttle tip-in) and surpass the performance of higher priced Audis (A3 and A4, A5) , BMW's (2.8 and 3.0) and even Porsche Cayman/Boxster making this a very good value for the money. The DSG transmission works well with the motor and gives flawless shifts. Steering and handling are good, if a bit soft, like a 3-Series, but compliant and damped well in most situations. Cargo capacity is excellent and with the seats down, I was able to load four footlockers from the post office throught the hatch! Get the 4-doors.
Cons: I drive this car in a spirited manner and push it aggressively on occassion, so why VW has chosen to offer there sports car from the factory de-tuned at 200 HP does not make sense, unless to market the R32 Series variation of this platform. The GTI has an odd throttle tip-in and when combined with a slight turbo lag can give the whole car an "on and off" effect when driven aggressively. This "on and off" effect" was made even more pronounced after I had it tuned with APR software that increased HP to about 260 HP. The Brakes are the weakest link on this drivetrain and either need a different pad type or larger components, but this can be easily remedied with aftermarket upgrades.
Overall review: I am a previous BMW 3 and 5 Series owner and just traded my 08 Jetta in for a GTI. As a whole, the GTI is well executed throughout and offers a high level of content and features for the money. The build quality, materials and workmanship meet or exceed what I experienced in my previous BMW 318 and 528. I cross shopped this with the Audi A3 and found nothng to justify from a drivetrain and performance aspect the A3's additional $7-8K. Unless your looking for a wider range of paint colors or have to have automatic climate control standard and leather seats. If you want all that, just shop for an A4 Audi. I test drove one is 1984 and the GTI has evolved and been improved and updated over the last 30 years and this is reflected in its refinement and execution and makes this a good contrarian alternative to a BMW 1-Series or A3/4 Audi.
Handsome little devil with a personality to charm the pants off any buyer by Bryan on 07/10/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 4-door w/ Sunroof & Nav, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The car does everything well and looks great doing it. It's handling, while not on rails, is predicable making the car fun to toss around. It's fuel economy is outstanding for the hot hatch segment as I'm currently getting 30.9mpg after 2 weeks of ownership during mixed city/highway driving. There are few cars under 30k that I'd wake up early to drive but this GTI is a smile factory. In sum, you won't regret the purchase... I'm actually mad at myself that I didn't buy the GTI 4 years ago instead of my 08 Mazdaspeed3.
Cons: Umm... haha... I guess, more cubby storage under the arm rest. I'm not sure why they couldn't do that but if I had to guess it's because of the rear air ducting (heat/ac) which is also very handy so... I guess figure out a solution to that and I'm stumped on shortcomings.
Overall review: Hands down the best all around performer I've ever owned. Refined ride, quick and eager, clings to corners, and top notch interior materials. I couldn't be happier!
Best hot hatch. by USAF Crew Chief, Germany and Minot, ND on 04/18/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 2-door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Durable 2.0L, Cornucopia of aftermarket parts, Interlagos bucket seats are amazing and chic, handling is unbelievable. I drove this car while stationed in Germany and I was able to beat BMW's, Mercs, and Audis through the twisty B-roads. Beat an STI around the Nordschliefe. It's the most underpowered of the TSI's but a simple $600 re-flash from APR or AWE will get you right up into the 250's hp where this car belongs.
Cons: Stock motor is de-tuned to fit the price bracket, brake fade is very noticeable during track racing. ABS kicks in too early.
Overall review: One of the best cars on the market. German engineered for performance. Capable of racing outside it's class. Stock 18'' detroits are durable and good looking. Go with the 6sp. VW claims the DSG is faster, but this is incorrect. Also, the 6sp is much more fun to drive. I hate paddle shifties. One of the last true imports, assembled at Wolfsburg. Huge eurotuner fan base and TSI has amazing potential. Also, the built in iPod connectivity is my favorite feature. I've driven the BMW 640, BMW 330d, BMW X6, Porsche Cayenne, Benz SL55 AMG, Peugeot RCZ 2.0, and the GTI is a sold second as most fun car I've driven. (to the SL55, which is 5x the cost of the GTI.)
Volkswagen GTI - why doesn't EVERYONE drive one? by James on 08/22/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 2-door w/Sunroof & Nav, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Gorgeous styling with the red line trim from the grille edges to the lacing on the leather wheel and stick shift boot. Love the Interlagos plaid cloth seats - so stylish and so comfortable. It's a smart looking ride that's super fun to drive!
Cons: I have found the remote for unlocking doors a little fussy. Not sure if I'm doing it right, but the number of 'clicks' to unlock the passenger door or hatch is not intuitive. The voice activated blue tooth cell phone interface has seemed wonky at times, but still a great convenience overall to have.
Overall review: I absolutely love my Mk6 GTI - after having owned it for two months, I wonder why everyone doesn't drive a Volkswagen? It's stylish and plenty fun to drive. Some pan the GTI for not being the fastest hot-hatch out there, but it's got plenty of HP to make driving thrilling. It handles like a dream and is so well appointed - a great value for the money.
FAST, FUN for anyone.... by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/20/2011. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen GTI 4-door w/Convenience & Sunroof, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I bought my '12 GTI in the beginning of October and now have racked up 7K miles on it. I drive the car just about every single day and LOVE IT. I could care less about the mileage because I plan to keep it as long as I can. It's funny because I have always been a Honda guy and never imagined driving/owning a VW. No regrets here.
Cons: creaks from the front driver door panel. It's noticable on bumpy roads.
Overall review: AWESOME CAR for the money....hands down.