2012 Volkswagen Passat

Can't find a single thing to pick in this car, simply well-built by The Real Estate Guy on 04/18/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI SE, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Love every single thing in this car. Great MPG, Leg Room, Style, Comfort, Features......... I think it is the best thing VW create so far!
Cons: None, but maybe HID option......
Overall review: Can't go wrong with this car. Style, Performance, Look, Comfort and price. I owned a stick shift TDI which is very rare and I am more than happy to pay for the sticker price, dealer wants $2,000 over sticker and we had a friendly negotiation to bring down to sticker price. Thanks VW of Pasadena to make this sales happened. I am glad to buy extend warranty and car sealant because I would like to keep this car....
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL - a Real Value by Geepsterz - SF Bay Area on 02/10/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI SEL Premium, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Cavernous interior is everyone's dream. Amenities like the passenger side "look-down" mirror to see the curb while parking; auto headlights; elegant footwell lighting; cornering lights; remote start; memory (heated) seats/mirrors, -this car is a real value. From my Prius, I was dead-set on another hybrid from Toyota or Hyundai to trade-in, but after reading reviews comparing these three cars, I took the Passat for a ride, and the TDI diesel powerplant is simply exhilerating. So, while I will miss the ultra-high MPGs of the Prius, I am gladly trading off a few MPGs for a car that gets nearly 800 miles per tank, and makes long trips a pleasurable experience. This car is a real "keeper."
Cons: Initial set-up of the Multi-Function Display took a few hours, but it is a NEW car, -and once it's done, it's done: Then, it's easy to toggle through so see your MPH, MPG, Time, navigator directions, telephone, media, over-speed warning, etc, etc, are all quickly and safely visible.
Overall review: I really like this car! While it may not be as "glitzy" as its competitors with more bells, lights, and whistles, style does come and go. This is not to say that the Passat lacks style, but I believe that its design is both fresh and "time-tested." Nearly all cars get better every year, but I am impressed that this car is made in Tennessee with superb German engineering. A good amount of this car is assembled by robots, and its fit and finish are simply remarkable. While I have not kept up with the evolution of the diesel engine, I do recall the old smelly, sooty, and rattle that the diesels of yesteryear made. Today, these characteristics are gone. While diesel fuel does cost more than gasoline, the new engines are smaller, lower in horsepower, but have higher compression. In the Passat TDI, this translates into torque, power, and economy. Further, diesel engines are known to last 300,000+ miles. And, nearly all gas stations today carry diesel fuel. It's the green pump.
2012 Passat TDI by Daniel on 04/11/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI SEL Premium, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: TDI engine is plenty of power and great MPG! I average over 44 MPG combined!
Cons: I wish I had the option of xenon headlights
Overall review: Highly recommend the 2012 Passat TDI
2012 Passat, initial experience by Lee on 04/29/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI SEL Premium, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The wheel well will hold a full size spare if the tool holder is trimmed; the top models offer memory seats and mirrors; the driver information display is excellent. Just compare these features to other cars in the Passat price range. My car is the TDI and the fuel mileage is "sensational". While the mpg can be matched by some hybrids the Passat provides a large usefully shaped trunk (not filled with batteries), and a full width extension with the rear seats folded down. The rear seat legroom is best in class. I have been driving an Audi A6 for many years, and find the handling and braking of the Passat quite acceptable. In reviews, it beat most others in it's class in the slalom.
Cons: Proper maintenance is much more demanding than with gas powered cars. Unfortunately, many may not properly maintain the car after the initial 3 years 36K of free service. If the used car market is flooded with diesels that have been poorly serviced the long lasting engines may be compromised. VW has done little to inform diesel owners how to care for the car. It's scattered and poorly presented in the 376 page manual. The word "maintenance" is not even in the index Also, the car can't hold a roof rack, has no towing hooks, no rear seat air vents, no rear camera option, no all wheel drive option, and there is excessive road noise, at least with the Bridgstone 400's.
Overall review: Low fuel consumption was the primary factor in buying the diesel model. Initial driving shows that I will more than double the MPG of my 2003 Audi A6 for the same driving pattern--roughly 20 vs. 40 mpg. The car has better amenities than competition, most of all to me, memory seats and mirrors. All diesel owners MUST familiarize themselves with the unique maintenance requirements of the Passat diesel and insure that after the initial free service the car is properly cared for. Start by carrying a quart if VW approved 507 oil should you need it when away from home. As a total package, the Passat gas or diesel, is very desirable. If you look at other brands, ask the salesman what one does with a tire that goes flat and is replaced by the spare and you have a trunk full of whatever. With the Passat, you can put it in the wheel well. VW management, so far, has failed to exploit this capability!
2012 Volkwagen Passat S (Like!) by Hawaiian on 03/29/2012. Trim: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5L S, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Roomy interior, large trunk, fun to drive and nice exterior styling. I also like the Bluetooth for hands free phone conversations and the dual zone climate control. This new Passat offers much more space than my old 2010 Honda Civic LX did. The rear seat leg room is incredibly generous even when the driver is over 6' 2''! All scheduled maintenance on this Passat is included in the lease terms (which will work out to be three oil changes). After shopping Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda and Toyota, I found this base model version lease of the 2012 Passat S to be an exceptional value when compared to the competitive set.
Cons: In my first full tank of gas I averaged just 27 combined MPG. A full 10 MPG less than my 2010 Honda Civic under identical highway & city driving patterns. I was hoping this car would squeeze out closer to 30 MPG. The interior design, sound system and materials are a bit plain but for the price I'm paying to lease this vehicle, it's functional. Am I the only person in Hawaii who drives a 2012 Passat? I've been driving this car around Honolulu for almost a full month and I haven't seen a single other Passat on the road. Is this a good thing or is there another reason?
Overall review: Comfortable, no frills, 5 speed manual base model S version of the 2012 Passat. I had a 24 month lease on a 2010 Honda Civic LX (also a 5 speed manual) and when the lease ended last month, we shopped around to see which brands had exceptional values and we ended up leasing this car as the 2010 Honda Civic's replacement. Sticker was $19,995 less $1,750 VW rebate and $2,000 cash down on a 24 month lease with 15,000 miles per year = $229.87 per month including tax (reduction to the rediculous would equate to $7.56 per day for the daily cost of leasing this car). My 2010 Honda Civic LX under the exact same lease terms with $2,000 down was $225.20 per month (or $7.41 per day) including tax.For $6 more per month, I think we received a significant upgrade of a car. Problem is we could be spending an additional $30 per month on gas because this car hasn't performed up to our MPG expectation yet!