2010 MINI Cooper

Mommy's mid-life car crisis solved by Deb on 02/19/2014. Trim: 2010 MINI Cooper S, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I dreaded driving any more than I had to. To me, a car was just a tool for point "A" to point "B"... until I bought my mini. For the first time in over 20 years I enjoy driving, and look for excuses to get behind the wheel. Even my children have noticed the change in my driving "attitude", (perhaps mommy's mid-life car crisis?) and after I allowed my oldest to take it for a spin, she is now plotting on how to get one herself! Darn shame I waited so long to splurge on me :)
Cons: Love it too much to complain about a thing.
Overall review: I would strongly recommend-driving should be more fun.
best sports car by jeff ohio on 03/09/2012. Trim: 2010 MINI Cooper Base, Owned 2 years.
Pros: performance, incredible gas mileage. my average over the last two years is 41mpg
Cons: hard ride, fixed by using non runflat tires
Overall review: excellent
Johnny 5's Heart Attack Recovery Vehicle! by Johnny 5 from Quincy, Massachusetts on 12/09/2011. Trim: 2010 MINI Cooper S, Owned 1 year.
Pros: What a blast to drive and once you get over the mini size and discover the advantages of it's strong handling, braking and maneuverability, all of a sudden the size is no longer an issue! I look forward to every commute in this car regardless of the duration, it's that much fun to drive especially the turbocharged stick shift combination! It literally puts a smile on my face every time I have the opportunity to drive my Mini! If you live in an urban area you'll love the parking ease that comes with a car this sensibly sized!
Cons: Pretty much nothing, I do wish the seats in my car had a lumbar type control for the seat but they're fine as is. I've had a couple of irritating nickel dime issues with the "service engine soon" light that were traced to a harmless wiring gremlin but bringing it back to the dealer to be corrected was time consuming BUT on the flip side they were great to deal with (Herb Chambers Mini of Boston)!! i've also had two rear license plate bulbs burn out within 18 months but other than that no issues. Very tight construction, no rattles, GREAT on gas, VERY quick, the pro's far outweigh the cons!
Overall review: Buy one, you won't be sorry if you're a driving enthusiast! BUY A STICK!
Mini perceptions by criticaliron on 07/09/2011. Trim: 2010 MINI Cooper Convertible, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Extremely tossable. Handles fantastically for a FWD vehicle. Responsive clutch and manual transmission. Just plain fun to drive. Sport button actually makes a difference (steering tightens and accelerator response quickens, mpg's drop though). 34-35 mpg on highway (when weather is hot) and up to 38 when it begins to cool down. Highly suggest the Harmon-Karman stereo for convertible. Sunroof and being able to lower the top while moving or with the fob when it is parked are super cool features. Plenty of room for room for front occupants for such a small car. Manual's hill control is also pretty cool. Loves to be revved and will hold descent HP and torque if kept above 4500 rpm's.
Cons: Openometer. Should be an engine temperature gauge instead (which is something I did not notice it did not have originally, but when you are driving, not having one is strange). Dash radio controls are a little odd, but you get used to them and mainly use steering wheel controls. Few too many creaks and buzzes for "BMW.' USB connection port is placed in a very obscure place, hard to insert (especially when driving). Run-flats. Horrible. Wish it had even a toy spare, so I could drive comfortably without run-flats. MPG's will drop in city driving and when it gets hot (living in Florida, this is most of the time), still better the most cars out there. Maintenance/service is expensive.
Overall review: Awesome little naturally aspirated four cylinder. Best fuel efficient car out there. Hybrids are heavy and dull and a lot of small four cylinders are bland and non-communicative or need a turbo to be as responsive as the base Mini's giddiness. Gets better gas mileage and handles better than a GTI, Fit or Miata (its closest competitors). Is an absolute joy on the twisties. Good interior materials and paint (yes, paint). No two Mini's are the same, so every car is an extension of the owner, which really works on people who enjoy cars. If it is just to get from point A to point B buy a Civic, Fiesta or Corolla. If you want to try to get close buy a CRZ or Golf. Want less kitsch buy a 1 series. More kitsch (and maintenance costs) buy a 500. Mini's are for purists who can't afford a Lotus or an M, want a little more individualism than a Civic SI and don't want to invest the time and energy into an old MG. Of course there are a lot of nice used 1.8 Audi TT's out there...
Beyond Fun by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/21/2010. Trim: 2010 MINI Cooper Base, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I LOVE this car. It's incredibly fun to drive and I smile every time I get in. Handles great, I can take curves at speeds I would never dream of in other cars. Gas mileage is amazing, I average over 36. I zip around big cars, and can park in almost any spot. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys driving (and driving fast) though if you have kids, getting them in and out is a bit awkward. My 8yo son still thinks it's worth the minor inconvenience because it's so cool and fun. No-cost Maintenance through BMW is a HUGE plus as well. Marketing team is genius with their quirky approach and the fun "freebies" and website. Comfortable, fun, fun, fun!
Cons: The Speedometer in the middle of the dash is a bit ridiculous, as pointed out in other reviews. Plus, now my son knows exactly how much I speed :). Some of the controls are confusing for no apparent reason (windshield wiper controls, radio volume). The base headlights do not have a good reach, perhaps the Xenons are better. The doors are longer than my last car, so I have to be careful when opening them next to another car. I wish the sunroof control was a "one-touch" open like the windows. Overall, these are mostly the "quirky" aspects of MINIs that make them unique, so they're not true complaints or cons, just things that take adjusting to.
Overall review: I can't say enough good about this car. My only regret is not custom-building mine, as there are some features I really wish I had. I think my next car might just be a custom-built MINI Cooper S!