2009 Saturn Astra

Sporty and fun by spitfireap on 07/08/2013. Trim: 2009 Saturn Astra XR 5-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Styling Tight Suspension Build Quality
Cons: Underpowered at 138hp No turbo option
Overall review: The most fun car I've owned since I started driving. I love keeping the speed around corners as this thing grips the road (something I would never have done in the minivan it replaced). Surprisingly roomy, I have no issues fitting comfortably at 6 feet tall and some room left over for the back seat passenger. The only downside is the acceleration - fine for me but noticeably more sluggish than the V6 powered vehicle it replaced. Despite that, I'd highly recommend it.
Enthusiast
Saturn is Missed!! by WantsSaturnBack2012 on 10/14/2012. Trim: 2009 Saturn Astra XR 5-Door.
Pros: Looks awesome! peppy 1.8L with enough room for everyone!! Panoramic moonroof.
Cons: one cupholder :( this is a bad trend that started with VW but the rest of the car is awesome
Overall review: I currently have a 2002 Saturn SL and it is the best car ever. This is not an exaggeration. i get 36mpg with it and someday i hope to own an Astra!
Great Commuter Car by Astra Owner, Richmond on 08/20/2012. Trim: 2009 Saturn Astra XE 5-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Handles great! Peppy at Highway speeds (meaning at speed accelerates very well which is good for merging) Power is lacking when the AC is running which also causes the shifting to be a little rough (as noted in another review, w/o AC shift is smooth) Without the AC running I average 36-38mpg over a tank of gas. I do about 80% highway driving. Seats are very comfortable. Love the auto windshield wipers. The car is versatile (I have 5 door) with fully folding rear seats. No mechanical problems, just had a small issue with the AC drain clogging, but a quick warrenty repair fixed that. I live the ease of oil change w/ the top drop in filter. Overall great car for commuters.
Cons: Only one cup holder in the front. Huge power difference with the A/C running. Wish for larger gas tank. Wish keyless entry had a longer range,
Overall review: Love the car with a lot of smart features like auto wipers, the windows go down if you hold the unlock button on the keyless entry. A lot of room (even for a 6' tall guy like me). Although the car is not fast, it does handle very well and is quick enough to merge onto highway traffic. I will drive this car into the dirt (which seems to be a long time from now) as it serves its purpose perfectly. Great fuel mileage, versatile, yet not boring like a Prius.
Our Roundabout by Gail on 08/15/2010. Trim: 2009 Saturn Astra XR 5-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This is an excellent handling car, room is good, gas mileage is better, we get about 34 mpg in town with A/C. Every trip from our home is the closest store is 10 miles at least so fuel effiiency is great. We went from an Trailblazer EXT with 2 wheel drive to this car with no real regrets. Our dealer went away with the GM reduction of car lines but find our Chevy dealer welcomes us. We have had only one problem witht the gas cap door and it was taken care of quickly.
Cons: I miss a few of the extras we had before like a power outlet in the rear, a little more room for luggage, power tilt steering wheel, power seats.
Overall review: We knew we were downsizing but we liked the price since our trade in was a 2003 SUV. We already have a Saturn coupe from 2002 that has been problem free and Saturn reputation is very good. Did not know this car was made overseas until we bought it.
Wonderful Commuter by Dan in Louisville, KY on 01/15/2009. Trim: 2009 Saturn Astra XR 3-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Fully automatic wipers and most other accessories. Seats are awesome; at 6ft tall, they are very road ready and comfortable. Styling to my taste is excellent. You can tell all of the Saturn touches that were added from this Belgium based Opel. So far surpasses documented and my estimated economies, this is excellent! Fit and finish is very good, feels very solid for a small car. This euro-based car eliminated the normal American based accoutrements such as mouse-fur door and roof panel covers, soft plastics and vinyl, etc. Nice leather and whatever matching vinyl look and feel great. No problems in the first 5,000 miles.
Cons: I miss the electro-chromatic day/night rearview mirror from GM, not available in this car. My opinion this works better as a 3 door vs. 5 door, meaning great commuter car, unless everyone is under 6ft tall. As most cars this car could use 20 more HP but not for the sacrifice of fuel economy, great handling and braking. I would like more engine monitors either in the dash or electronic center display e.g., engine temp, oil pressure/temp, etc. Side rearview mirror seems to have blind spot. The only thing I can think of that I don’t like compared to my previous Civics that I have owned is the shifter (manual transmission) is not as smooth.
Overall review: Something different, that should last for a long time, very reasonably priced (compare Civic, etc.) Everything just works great, it’s about time GM brought this car over from Europe.