2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

The best value hands down by German immigrant from Hessenland on 07/08/2010. Trim: 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 Door S, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Fit, Finish and Reliability. This car accommodates my 6'4" frame like no other car in this class. It appears that VW has stuck to their seat ergonomics that I experienced with my first Golf, none of the other compact cars can hold a candle to the legroom and comfort. After breaking in the engine (10,000 miles pampered) I am averaging 30 mpg which is incredibly economical (mind you this is with 17" Denver wheels and 205 Kumho Platinum tires). Use the best oil (Lubro Moly Vollsynthese) and you can achieve this kind of mpg without problems. Highly recommend this model since they seem to have gotten everything right with this 5th generation Rabbit 5cyl, from what I've read about it.
Cons: It took some effort and finesse to find out where some of the tiny rattles were coming from and how to fix them. But now that they are fixed the car's interior is as quiet as a luxury car. The lack of an armrest in this base model was disappointing. But after ordering an OEM armrest from TM tuning . com and modifying it, we now have a very comfortable armrest and it's not an issue anymore. A ticking noise coming from the rear right (fuel evaporative vacuum test module).
Overall review: If you're looking for a larger, more comfortable interior and a peppy get-about with above average reliability (according to consumer reports it is the most reliable compact car around) this is the car you'll most enjoy driving everyday. Being a picky customer I have yet to find a thing that would have made me change my mind about what a great versatile vehicle this is. You get most of the fun of a G T I without the high insurance costs (in fact the insurance on this solid tank seems dirt cheap). There is a reason why this car has become "Car of the year" in Europe numerous times.
Fun Car by Monty-Boise, ID on 03/29/2009. Trim: 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 Door S, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I test drove this little Rabbit and was very impressed. They did not have a manual transmission available which probably would have sealed the deal. I ended up buying a Honda Civic with no regrets. With the 170 horse engine and the 6 sp triptronic tranny it was fun to drive. The interior is very high quality and the price was good for this car. Handling is very tight.
Cons: I really did not spend enough time with the car to make any comment
Overall review: Fun and good looking car that is a blast to drive. I would highly recommend this car. It is a drivers car. Not real comfortable for passengers. A little cramped in the interior up front and in the back. With no manual tranny available for a test drive I hesitated and decided to ask mechanics I know about the car. They all said it is a good car but expensive to own and maintain. Parts were expensive when a repair is needed. So being a Honda guy I chose the Civic. This is my 3rd one so I know what I am buying as opossed to a VW, never have had one before. I have had freinds that have and they like there VWs. The Rabbit came very close when comparing cars. I would not rule this car out for it is a very fun car to drive.
awesome little car not to be underestimated by devan new hampshire on 01/20/2013. Trim: 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 Door S PZEV, Owned 1 year.
Pros: appears small but pretty good on space inside, very quick and great handling, the traction control is amazing in the winter since I live in the northeast and we get a good bit of snow and ice, when the seats are folded down theres a ton of cargo space, backseat has a fair amount of legroom for such a compact car, when I behaved and drove properly I got far higher fuel milage than its rated, up around 40 mpg, just don't drive fast or slam on the pedal a lot because it can turn into a gas hog. heated windshield washer nozzles and seats and mirrors are handy
Cons: turn knob seat adjustments are difficult, ive yet to figure out how to activate the heated mirrors, can fog up easily at times. because of the short wheel base you feel and hear road noise more than a bigger car, but that's to be expected. most don't have the center console armrest which isn't necessary but would have been nice.
Overall review: im coming up on a year of ownership and many miles under the tires and still love the car, once the seat is set to your standards the turn knob issue is no longer there, the road noise can easily be covered by music and you can have a armrest installed by the dealer for a fair price if you need it. I expect to keep the car many more years.
I Call her The Jackalope by Rachael on 11/22/2012. Trim: 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 4 Door S PZEV, Owned 4 years.
Pros: This little guy can carry a lot more than it looks. Easily a family a car and someone who has a lot of stuff or just likes to pack up for outdoor activities (the center station between the back seats can drop for snowboards/skis to slide from the back and still have two back seat passengers. I've driven this car cross country twice and hasn't had any problems.
Cons: Replacing oil or doing any self-maintenance can be a pain with it being a European vehicle. Even with it being US spec'd, I had a lot of problems initially just to replace the tires because the unusual locks.
Overall review: I adore this car. It's fantastic for long drives, carries more than it looks, and has great nicknaming potential.
Sporty hatch by J. Mike on 06/18/2012. Trim: 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Fun to drive; responsive, accurate handling. Excellent steering feel/effort. Crisp, powerful 5 cyl engine with exceptional torque. Spot-on 5 spd shifter/gearbox. This is a true "sport sedan" of German character.
Cons: Shock valving is relentlessly abrupt. Nervous, always moving. A LOT of road/tire noise especially on coarse surfaces. Harsh over tar strips and the like. Note: I'm a Corvette driver. This thing is just too "high strung." There is a loud, obnoxious, engine whine at 1200 - 1300 rpm, especially after a hot soak. Sounds like a failing transmission front pump or steering pump. My service guy (who I trust) says this is standard equipment - "I just forced myself to get used to it, I don't hear it anymore." Give him credit for being honest. But, as an engineering tech in engine development I can say without hesitation that this would be a "non-starter" in my company - not acceptable for production.
Overall review: This is the most capable small, sporty hatch I have driven to date. It's a lot of car for the money but you have to wonder why they let the engine noise get into production. In fact, this plus a few minor tweaks in chassis and this car could be a strong seller in the US. Just as sporty, maybe more, but a touch more refined.