2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

2009 Mariner Hybrid AWD by Duluth on 12/20/2008. Trim: 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The Nav system is worth the extra cost. Folding down the back seats gives ample cargo room. The hard drive is fantastic- I've got 500 mp3 songs on it and have used only about 20% of the avail. space. USB input is another great idea-unlimited music storage and beats carrying cd's/cassettes. Heated leather seats work fantastic, I rarely use the air heater-thus keeping the ICE in the economy mode or allowing the car to switch into electric mode. Gets around in moderate snow very well. We have around 18" down on the ground. Good traction in slippery conditions. Comfortable-took vehicle on 900 mile trip and felt comfortable for 8 hour drive stretches. Sync system is also great.
Cons: Lack of ext. and int. color selections. Rear seat headrests block rearview mirror view-we leave them out. Back up sensor is a waste of money/option. Would like Nav system to have all functions available during driving. Some functions (dvd player, inputing destination addresses/names, etc. etc.) are not available above 5 mph. I understand the liability issues, but a passenger could want this access while driving- perhaps wire it into the passenger weight sensor.
Overall review: We've had this vehicle for 5 months and its one of the best new vehicle purchase we've ever made. We average 25 mph during the snow months and close to 30 during the warmer months. Going at freeway speeds 70-80 mph drops mph to down to 25mph. During colder months or perhaps age, it is harder to get/keep electric motor running and not use ICE. Seems like ICE kicks on above 30 quite often in winter when during the warmer months it was fairly easy to drive close to 40 without it coming on. We payed $33k for the vehicle and had to wait 3 months, but it was worth it. I would recomend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a 4wd smaller SUV with very good gas mileage. One thing about this vehicle is that it does make a person try and drive more effeciently. I am constantly trying to improve my MPG's and get the electric motor to engage more often while driving, but when I drive my 1/2 ton pickup,that mentality rarely enters my mind.
Hi-Bird by Happy on 12/02/2009. Trim: 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid FWD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The comfort,quietness and great MPG. We have had a Prius for four years and enjoyed the MPG. We decided to get another Hybrid. On the road the wife gets 33.4 MPG . We do like SUVs for room , large items and grand children. She drives the prius and gets 44-46 MPG. I drive it as a hybrid and get 49-53. Thinking my mpgs will be a little better. The climate controls are wonderful. In the past we each needed a different temp setting. Well now we have it. I like the SYNC system for system checks to your computer and SYNC phone. As of now coming up on 5000 miles . We would do this one again.
Cons: Nothing as yet
Overall review: We looked at four FWD SUV Hybrids. Final decision looks and MPG sold us on Mariner. It is great and we enjoy it so far !!!!!!!!
Gas Efficient SUV an Oxymoron.....NOT!!! by Mike in Alaska on 09/17/2009. Trim: 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: My wife wanted an energy efficient vehicle. I wanted something to tow my small boat. Guess what? I can tow 1500 lbs with a class III hitch and I get better gas mileage than I ever thought I'd get in an SUV.
Cons: I think the color is a little week. Ice blue is not my favorite color but my wife likes it so it's all good.
Overall review: This felt like snap decision because of the cash for clunkers program but I think it was a winning bet. We made a great decision and expect it to do well for the next five to ten years. definitely a 9.9 out 10!!
Hybrid SUVs rock! by Bridgett in Florida on 06/28/2009. Trim: 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid FWD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great interior size and cargo room, yet comfy like a sedan. Bought it for the hybrid motor(s) and so far getting better at using the electric aspect rather than gas. Great sound system.
Cons: Hot Florida summers use more gas time, even in ECON mode. Like it's cousin, the Ford Escape, you hear engine noise inside--but outiside noises are well-muffled. We have a large dog and we should have gotten the leather, rather than cloth seats--easier to clean and not as attractive to dog hair.
Overall review: We have had this vehicle a total of two weeks and 400 miles, but anticipate keeping it for a long, long time. Filled the tank yesterday because I wasn't sure about the gauge accuracy; couldn't believe that I still had that many miles left to empty. Well, I did and the gauge works just fine. I'd recommend anyone looking for larger hybrid to try the Mariner. If you are getting much better gas mileage in a hybrid SUV than you were in a regular sedan, then an SUV Hybrid is NOT an oxymoron!