2008 Dodge Dakota

2 thumbs up by RoccSD on 02/03/2009. Trim: 2008 Dodge Dakota SXT Ext. Cab 4X2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Bigger than other 'small' trucks; styling; price. The ride is smooth and going over bumps is solid although it can bounce around a bit being a truck. All trucks are like this so no big deal....well, except for the new Ram with it's coil over suspension. Lots of space for what I need even though I opted for the extended cab version.
Cons: A bit underpowered. The V6 is a bit dated and unchanged for some time and could use a refresher. I hate the 4spd transmission and should be changed to a 5spd or at least an option for it. This would give the gas mileage a bit of a positive push and performance a bump. I heard the gas mileage for the V6 wasn't much better than the 4.7L and while it's not too bad, it's not great either.
Overall review: Although it is just a short lease of 2 years, it's a pretty good little truck. The only issues I had with it (as well as a friend of mine) were a battery that was overcharging but it was a quick replacement. The clock on my radio goes out from time to time and says 'not available' but comes back later...kind of weird. I like the fact that it's bigger than GM's little trucks as well as the Ranger. Other people that I know that have the new Dakota are also pleased with their trucks.
Another one fades away by A Truck Driver's Son on 07/23/2009. Trim: 2008 Dodge Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This the 4th Dakota that I have owned. '96,'00,04', and now '08. Went with the max upgrade. V8, leather, GPS/DVD, ...etc. Would not change a thing. I get 17city 21hwy. Plenty of power, towing (Explorer on trialer), comfortable ride. And of course, plenty of looks and "nice truck" at the pumps.. PS. Over 250,000 miles on each. )'08 has 50,000 plus
Cons: My Question is WHY cancel the line?! Bring back the Best.
Overall review: Recommend to anyone and everyone if there was any more.
Vastly improved from 1994 by Luv2bSly on 04/30/2009. Trim: 2008 Dodge Dakota SXT Crew Cab 4X2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Hate the smaller Ford Ranger and the Chevy Colorado. At 6'-1", the extra width and height is great. I don't need a full size truck, so this one fits the bill. I am averaging 16 mpg combined with just under 8000 miles logged. It is comfortable and responsive. It is definately an upgrade from the 1994 Dakota I owned. On a bumpy road with no load, it rides like a truck. On a smoother road/highway, the ride is not like that of a typical truck. I also like the way the tailgate can be used to support loads longer than 5'6" (i.e. 8' tables).
Cons: There are two big complaints that I have with this vehicle. 1 - When I change the oil, I always make a mess on the floor. The drain for the oil pan is behind the front wheels and always drips on the cross support member and runs beyond the oil pan. The funnel for the oil filter is also not a good design. It also drips and runs to miss the oil pan. 2 - There is a lack of flat foot space on the front passenger side of the truck. For a trip longer than 1/2 an hour, I am unable to find an alternate position for my feet.
Overall review: Overall, I am quite happy with my new truck. It has been vastly improved from my earlier 1994 model. With the ground clearance of the 4x2 chassis the same as that of the 4x4, I get the advantage in the winter of the 4x4 in snow without the weight and extra components of a 4x4. Since I do not go off-road, I am not in need of 4x4.
Dodge 4x4 by wisconsin on 11/01/2013. Trim: 2008 Dodge Dakota SLT Crew Cab 4X4, Owned 1 year.
Pros: its great on and off the road good power and doesnt get get stuck great vehicle if you like to fool around off road
Cons: fuel milage
Overall review: perfect truck to own
Little Big Truck by BBT from Uniontown pa on 12/24/2008. Trim: 2008 Dodge Dakota SXT Crew Cab 4X4, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: the overall package is great
Cons: the four speed tranny with no overdrive is awful, shifts way to much.
Overall review: great truck, could use a better tranny selection