1997 GMC Jimmy

1997 GMC Jimmy Prices
1997 GMC Jimmy Fuel Economy
Buy with confidence by truck guy in Minnesota on 05/23/2002. Trim: 1997 GMC Jimmy SL 4-Door 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The fit and finish of the truck are great. Good power and response, 4WD is very effective when needed. The leather seats are the most comfortable seats in a vechile I've ever sat in. The fold down back seat are very easy to operate.
Cons: Minor noise from door panels when off-road or on rough road. The steering column has an occasional squeek but nothing to get worked up about.
Overall review: I would deffinetly reccomend this truck to anyone who wants a smooth ride with power on demand. With a few minor modifications (air intake, mass air flow sensor, and performance chip) you can have a very quick and powerful ride. If you don't need a dead quiet truck (but it's a truck so you should expect a little noise) this is the one for you. The interior is plush and comfortable with all the options you could ever need.
GMC Jimmy by j from topeka on 07/29/2001. Trim: 1997 GMC Jimmy SL 4-Door 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Appearance...only. Owned an 1989 Jimmy and loved it. This one does not compare to the '89's performance.
Cons: Dangerous handling on highway. Too many repairs .
Overall review: Like the size and appearance but, do not trust the handling and overall feel of this Jiimmy's ride. Too many repairs.
Good vehicle by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/13/2010. Trim: 1997 GMC Jimmy SL 4-Door 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: handles pretty good, lots of space, 4 wheel drive is very functional.
Cons: seats are made of poor fabric, rear wiper not likely to work
Overall review: Overall is a pretty good truck, a lot of people complain about tranny problems and water pump problems but the main thing is if you dont service the vehicle and replace the fluids as recommended of course it will break, cars do not just work because they are supposed to you have to maintain them just as you maintain yourself
poorly constructed SUV by fed up in MS on 03/31/2005. Trim: 1997 GMC Jimmy SL 2-Door 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: see previous rating titled "maybe just a streak of bad luck" parts 1 & 2
Cons: see above
Overall review: this is a continuation of the previously 2 titled reviews "maybe just a streak of bad luck". . . it is now March 2005 and I have decided that is it not bad luck. . .it is bad part quality and bad workmanship. Since my last review (July 2002), I have replaced the following: transmission ($1400), oil cooler lines ($160), the entire rear end due to the ball bearings burning up ($900), power steering pump ($200), thermostat, intake manifold gasket ($300), oil plug, alternator ($235), driver side door mirror ($229), 2 of the 4 heated O2 sensors ($300), fuel level sending unit ($300), and idler arm ($60). Needless to say, it would have been much cheaper in the long run to have bought a $30-$40K vehicle of Nissan or Toyota quality and made the monthly payments of appx. $500 than to have bought this $30K vehicle where I had to spend an additional $10-$12K in repairs. I only have 82,000 miles on my vehicle.
Professional Junk S.U.V. by Former Profesional Driver on 09/05/2004. Trim: 1997 GMC Jimmy SL 2-Door 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: When I bought it new, it looked great, drove great, and was somewhat comfortable.
Cons: Brakes need replaced every 3000 miles, transmission replaced at 50,300 miles. Four wheel drive doesn't work, and isn't set up right anyway. I wrecked first winter because left front wheel was drive wheel instead of right front wheel. Stereo replaced at 57,000 miles. Everytime I close the tire carrier the rear door bends in, and looks like it was wrecked. Hood paint was repainted under warranty. The car needs repainted all over. Two weeks ago, the car caught on fire (faulty wiring) and cost me $357.00 so far and that doesn't include replacing alarm and remote start, and who knows what else? DON'T BUY THIS CAR,EVER!!!!!! THANKS G.M.C. and i was a professional.
Overall review: THIS CAR HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE, FROM THE START. BAD TIRES (MICHELIN) WITH ONE PLY SIDE WALLS HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING ON AN OFF ROAD, OR S.U.V. TYPE VEHICLE. EVERYTIME I WENT AROUND A BEND THE FIRST TWO MONTHS I HAD MY JIMMY IT SEEMED I HAD A FLAT. FINALLY CHANGED TO TWO PLY SIDEWALLS AND NO PLOBLEM. THEY SHOULD HAVE A WARNING ABOUT USING THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO PULL TOWARDS THE RIGHT. THIS IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN THE ROLLOVER ADVISORY THEY HAVE ON THE VISOR. THE NIGHT I WRECKED MY CAR BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM IT WAS 20 DEGREES BELOW ZERO AND I ALMOST DIED WALKING FOR HELP. I WON'T EVEN GO INTO THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE NOT WORKING, IF I COULD AFFORD TO GET ANOTHER CAR, I WOULD JUNK THIS CAR RATHER THAN TRADE IT IN, BECAUSE I WOULDN'T WISH THIS PIECE OF JUNK ON MY WORSE ENEMY OR MY EX-WIFE. Oh yes, I'm not a teenage hot rodder either. I'm in my sixties, and haven't been in a wreck since 1963. I know good cars