2008 Hyundai Accent

2 3 4 5 6 7  Next
Finally, The car, the performance and the price all match! by Grumpy on 07/25/2009. Trim: 2008 Hyundai Accent GS 3-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It was a combination of things. Price, reliability, mpg and versatility. Small cars tend to give you either great economy with good performance or poor performance with some hauling ability. The Accent provides great economy, good performance and with the drop of the rear seats, plenty of cargo room. A/C does not obliterate mpg, only a heavy foot will. Consistant 27 in the city with automatic trans.
Cons: Cruise control! Cruise control! Cruise control! Hyundai, did I mention Cruise control? A release for the hatch in this model would be a big plus. I use the hatch every day and using a key each time is annoying. While the suspension is very good for a car of this type, the Accent needs a wider tire. The one that come with the car work very well, but a slightly wider tire will enhance not only the feel of the road while driving, a wider tire will help stabilize the car at highway speeds. Also, the rebound when hitting a pothole with the current size tire makes a noise that travels back into the car. It sounds like a bicycle tire hitting the pavement.
Overall review: I'm a big guy, 6'3" at 250#. The car is very comfortable to drive and overall I like the car very much. If Hyundai makes the improvements I suggested I certainly would buy another Accent, otherwise I'll move up to a Sonata. The most discussed issue I hear about this car is the lack of power. It's a compact rated at 110 hp. It's not a sports car or should it be considered a performance vehicle. It should be looked upon for as low cost vehicle with a moderate power range, high reliability and great mpg. If you're looking for sports car performance you'll be dissapointed. If you're looking for very reliable respectable inexpensive transportation with creature comfort options like a/c , automatic and a nice radio this car will blow you away.
Great Economy Commuter! by Frostie Troll on 10/16/2008. Trim: 2008 Hyundai Accent GS 3-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Better styling than other cars in its class; more than adequate power; good mileage; plenty of interior room for my purposes; great warranty; excellent reliability; fit and finish is very good; solid and predictible handling; XM radio with 6 speakers; cold A/C goes like gangbusters even in 100+ degree Texas temps; most controls are easy to reach, feel solid, and are intuitive regarding function; driver seat is 8-way adjustable and has a folding arm rest (nice comfort features); 60/40 split rear seat allows for plenty of room if needed; and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that for this price you simply can't beat the combination of features, quality, styling, reliability, and warranty.
Cons: Poor visibility to the side/rear in the 3-door models when trying to check adjacent lanes before a lane change. Odometer/tripmeter selection/reset button is in awkward place, it would be nice if the rear quarter windows could pop out at the back for ventilation, GS model has indicator lights rather than a gauge for coolant temp, 5th gear ratio (manual trans) is not much different than 4th gear ratio (in fact I often go straight from 3rd to 5th when accelerating) so RPMs are pretty high at highway speed possibly reducing gas mileage, horn is very wimpy
Overall review: I drive approximately 500 miles per week and needed a reliable commuter to replace my aging Saturn, and the Accent has proven itself more than capable. Like most people, I researched the Accent and competing models thoroughly before making my decision. While some of the other models certainly were up there in quality and predicted reliability, they lacked the long warranty and their prices were at least $3k-$4k higher for similar trim levels. And I'm just not keen on the styling of the Yaris or Aveo. The cons I've listed are mostly just annoyances. The worst con overall, however, is the poor visibility which could prove dangerous in some situations. I find myself craning my neck much more than is comfortable, and I've had to adjust my mirror outwards to help compensate. This is something I'll get used to eventually I imagine, but still it's worth mentioning. Overall, though, I love the car and would definitely recommend it to others with needs similar to my own.
Excellent City Commuter by Kevin, Port Angeles Washington on 08/24/2008. Trim: 2008 Hyundai Accent GS 3-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great Value, it feels like it should be much more expensive. Everything, including doors, hood, and buttons are tight, smooth and solid. Fuel economy is high, as is safety content (airbags). Cabin space is roomy and it has plenty of room up front and in back for this class of car. Turning radius is tight and steering, braking and the operation of clutch & gearbox functions smoothly. The ergonomics are excellent, all instruments are easily seen and controls adjusted with minimal distraction from the road. Road & wind noise is exceptionally low compared to older economy cars.
Cons: It has poor rear vision through the hatch. The manual 5spd transmission is closely spaced so you run high RPMs when driving at highway speeds. I wouldn't recommend the vehicle for prolonged high-speed Interstate travel as it doesn't have a cruise control and the high RPMs necessary for that kind of operation. The car doesn't have massive power. It has respectable torque and power for commuting but you won't win any races. The close gearing, and smooth power delivery excel in city non-Interstate travel. It would be nice to have the anti-lock brakes standard on all vehicles. A/C is only available (in the GS model) with a $1500 option package that includes the radio.
Overall review: This is a superb vehicle for city use. I live in the country but most of my driving is short runs to town, picking the kids up from football practice, running to the store etc... In those conditions the car is excellent providing great fuel economy and feeling secure and roomy in the process. I bought it for practical reasons, but find myself finding excuses to drive. Hyundai has made incredible progress closing the gap with Japanese cars. It has exceptional room for a sub-compact. If you drive lots of Interstate miles, I'd look at a different vehicle. If you run around picking up kids, getting groceries, picking up a video or just need a great commuter car, I think you will find it a great solution. It holds up well against competition. I drove the Yaris, Fit, Aveo, Elantra, Spectra, & RIO all before buying the 2DR Accent. All of them have their strenghts and weaknesses, so do your homework and pick the one that fits your needs.
Best Bang for the Buck! by Scotty from Georgia on 08/05/2008. Trim: 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS 4-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: well designed, very large roomy cabin for somthing in its class, everthing is sturdy and built well. It hugs the road and turns on a dime. and best of all is getting 37 to the gallon!!!
Cons: 4 speed auto with 110hp needs a little more get up and go, but does not seem to be anything that limits driving.
Overall review: BUY THIS CAR! The dealership was great and gave us a discount. The car is a steal for the price and the way gas is you cant afford not to buy this car. I also was rear ended in this car 2 days after I took it home, the car was jolted forward and we got out to inspect the damage and the WASNT EVEN A SCRACH in the paint! !here was absolutly nothing wrong with the car. So this is a true testiment to how well built this litte car is!
Great Car!!! by Charlotte from Hope,AR on 07/17/2008. Trim: 2008 Hyundai Accent GS 3-Door, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love everything about it!!! Even tho I think that they got to me on the price. They found a widowed female with a paid off 2006 Honda Ridgeline and traded me even for the Accent.
Cons: I didn't like the way they traded with me. I think that they took advantage of me, because I was needing to trade with the cost of gasoline and having to drive 40 miles one way 5 days a week.
Overall review: I love the car, but would not recommend going to the local HYndia place!
2 3 4 5 6 7  Next