1997 GMC Sonoma

good truck by casey lake city sc on 09/19/2012. Trim: 1997 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab 2WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: great truck
Cons: the freaking gas gauge and speedomader doesent work since 45thousand mils
Overall review: goodtruck
Too small by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/15/2004. Trim: 1997 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Excellent off-road performance.
Cons: Limited interior and cargo space. Poor fuel economy.
Overall review: Better off buying a full size truck.
Reliable Vehicle for the Price by Jeff from Houston, TX on 08/24/2004. Trim: 1997 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It has been a very reliable truck for the five years that I have owned it. Major maintenance has only become necessary over the last few months.
Cons: Recent high maintenance costs. Over the last few months, I have had to have the clutch, fuel filter, catalytic converter, and the fuel pump replaced, but the truck does have 145,000 miles on it. Problems with the A/C blower motor have also been an issue over time, as has the sending unit. The fuel gauge has not worked for a few years now.
Overall review: Overall, this truck has been an excellent buy! I bought it used in 1999 with 31,000 miles on it. The truck now has 145,000 miles on it, and it has only required routine maintenance until recently. I have driven it all over Texas, and out of state as well on some very long trips a few times. I have only been stranded once after I ran out of gas, courtesy of the faulty fuel gauge. I refuel every 300 miles or so now, so the bad sending unit has become a minor issue. The 4-cyl engine has done well even with the truck very heavily loaded. Surprising power for a 4-banger! Overall, a very nice truck!
This SUV is really an AAV by College prof from Troy, NY on 09/15/2002. Trim: 1997 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab Sportside 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: This is the fastest pickup I've owned, and I owned a 360 V8 Ford Ranger before this. I mistakenly carried 2500 lb and was going uphill over the speed limit without realizing it. Seats, sound, and extra cab room a plus. Rides like a car, and I've substituted it for my Ford trractor on occasion for farm chores (pulling a hay wagon etc). Mileage in the 20's (compared to 12 for my previous truck).
Cons: On occasion (1% of the time) the windshield wipers failed to move when turned on, required that I get out and give them a manual push. One piece of interior trim became unglued. Gas gauge does not have a light that comes on when you're empty. I wish the guarantee was longer.
Overall review: Best truck I've owned going back to a 49 Ford pickup I had in 1958. My wife prefers it to her car for its seat comfort and view of the road, its size gives it the feel of car, and the parking ability of a car. Conculsion: an All-around vehicle (AAV).
Black Thunder by Black Thunder from Whitehouse, Tx on 03/18/2002. Trim: 1997 GMC Sonoma SLS Reg. Cab 6.1-ft. Bed 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I own a 1997 GMC Sonoma with a 4.3 vortec v6 and I love it. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is also very fast and will beat a Mustang GT in the quarter mile.
Cons: The stock rims
Overall review: Very good vehicle I love it