2008 Toyota Camry Solara

Burns Oil Excessively by Syl on 02/23/2011. Trim: 2008 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6, Owned 3 years.
Pros: My car is a V4 NOT a V6 but that was not an option to select here on this forum. This vehicle gets decent gas mileage; an average of 31 miles per gallon. I also like the the "style" of the car. It is a perfect two-door vehicle and the cost was reasonable.
Cons: I HATE that this car burns oil excessively and that the Toyota service department I have been taking my car to cannot find any leaks or issues BUT ADMITS that the car is burning oil extremely fast! I will be taking my car in for the 4th time tomorrow to have the oil measured. If I hear the same song and dance I will be contacting corporate. My fiance found this issue because he changed the oil on my car a few times and in doing so ALWAYS checked the oil levels PRIOR to changing and adding additional oil. Toyota handled the maintenence for a VAST majority of the time and I am CONCERNED that they never noticed this issue!!!!!
Overall review: My concern in contacting corporate about the oil issue is that if there is a problem they are not going to admit there is one. I previously owned a 2000 Camry Solara and for years PRIOR TO THE GAS PEDAL RECALL, I took my vehicle in for service because my gas pedal was sticking. Time after time, I was told that there was NOT a problem; years later AND AFTER I purchased my 2008 Solara WE ALL found out the truth. I am unhappy that Toyota, who handled my vehicle for about 95% of my oil changes never noticed this issue. My fiance, who does not have any "mechanical" or "Toyota" credential caught this issue in a couple of oil changes that he did for me. Sadly, I don't think I will ever purchase another Toyota.
2007 Solara by ezshift5 on 03/23/2012. Trim: 2008 Toyota Camry Solara, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I have a 2007 Toyota Solara and it's a beautiful little car.
Cons: This Solara burns oil excessivley. After taking it to the dealership multiple times and they did the oil consumption test, Toyota says it's normal to burn over a qt of oil only after 1200 miles. Bull....I won't ever buy another Toyota because dealing with their warranty policy is bs!!! I guess they would rather pay for a motor than fix the oil problem!!!
Overall review: Okay
Nice, but a trans problem by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/28/2009. Trim: 2008 Toyota Camry Solara SE 5-Spd AT, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The car looks great, rides nice and is very quiet. Plenty of room for 2 people and trunk is larger than it looks. Engine gets good mileage.
Cons: With the 4 cylinder engine, the auto trans has a very noticeable delay and lag in downshifting. It can be down right dangerous when you need quick acceleration. There is a computer reprogamming that the dealer installed, but it made no difference. Dealer said it was the "design" of the electronic controlled trans. Although, I like the car otherwise, this problem is overshadowing the good things, and I may end of trading much much sooner than I had planned. I've driven Toyos for 20 yrs and never had a transmission act like this.
Overall review: If you overlook the poor trans, it's a nice car.
Solara does what a car should do by Vic from Houston on 10/09/2012. Trim: 2008 Toyota Camry Solara SE 5-Spd AT, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The power seats are outstanding for comfort. The controls with the exception of the cruise controls are easy to use. The Solara has the most room of any two door coupe in its class.
Cons: The most annoying feature is the alarm system. The car must be unlocked before openning the truck or the alarm goes off. Then if you are loading groceries the doors relock in 45 seconds. I can never finish be the doors relock.
Overall review: After four years and 80K I have replaced the battery and one set of tires. The car averages just under 30 mpg. The Solara is quiet and comfortable. The four cylinder has plenty of power for daily driving. For the price the best car I owned.
Solara Convertible is good for me! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 06/30/2008. Trim: 2008 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The SLE is very comfortable, and has all the power that you need! Great car for cruising with the top down. Had a BMW convertible, and the Solara convertible is so much more confortable with great legroom and seats.
Cons: View out the back window is tiny! Has head rests in the back seat that blocks about half the rear window. Better know how to use the outside mirrors if you own this car.
Overall review: The Solara convertible gets a lot of bad press from the "experts" - I find it to be a great car that you can really enjoy!