2008 Subaru Forester

Superb car with some flaws by Moritz from Huntsville on 08/09/2011. Trim: 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The car handles extremely well, both in wet weather and in snow and ice. The front seats are quite comfortable, though a little more padding on the seat would help my sciatic nerve on long trips. The manual transmission shifts well except into reverse. I always have to coax it in several times before it engages. The brakes are excellent. The A/C--Heater are excellent. The ride is as smooth as I want it. It can tow a decent load, both in the luggage area as well as with a trailer. I have had people asking me if I wanted to sell it! My fuel economy is at 26 city and 31 highway. Only once did it dip to 24 mpg, when I was hauling a trailer.
Cons: My greatest gripe is the "hill assist brake." I wish there were some way to turn that annoying feature off because it engages at the slightest incline and requires me to use far more gas than normal to get started. When I am backing down a slope, I have to accelerate to start the car, causing me to lurch backwards. This can be tricky and dangerous when backing up in tight quarters.. Another gripe is that my battery gave out after only 10,000 miles!! I tried to find a warranty for it, but there seemed to be none in the new car paperwork. A third complaint is the tires, which wore down after only 25,000 miles. Expensive! Finally, the rear seats are a bit cramped for four people
Overall review: Overall, for the type of car that it is, I would buy another Subaru. I really like the all-wheel drive over the four-wheel drive I had before. Also, for the size it is, 26/31 mpg for me is quite excellent.
Unseen Problems by Dave Erie Colorado on 02/12/2010. Trim: 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Size, Fuel economy, All wheel drive and Rear visibility. The fact that my 5'-2" wife could see over the dashboard of the 2008 was the reason we bought a 2008 instead of the revised 2009. The 2009 model increased in size slightly and the seating position was lowered.
Cons: Weak Braking even with 4 wheel discs, Engine surges when trying to hold steady highway speed with accelerator or on cruise control, Accelerator pedal restraint results in Jack Rabbit starts, A bit twitchy a highway speeds
Overall review: Would not have purchased the vehicle if I knew then what I know now after living with it for two years.
love my car by Love this car on 11/03/2008. Trim: 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5X, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love this car
Cons: None I love this car
Overall review: I love this car
We love our Subaru by Ludugirl on 09/18/2008. Trim: 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: We love everything about this car! From the butt-warming seats to the panoramic sunroof to the power and excellent handling both on and off the road. It zooms up mountain passes and steep roads. And our mileage when driving over a mountain pass is the same as a flat freeway! Every time we drive our car, my husband says, "I love our Subaru..." He recently took it into the back roads of Montana wilderness for a week of fishing and camping and LOVED the way the car handled the dirt roads. He even slept in the back for two nights!
Cons: The ONLY thing we would change is the amount of leg room in the back. When it's just the two of us in the car, there is plenty of room, but if we have two or three people in the back seat, there is very little leg room, especially if they are giants (and anyone over 5'10" is a giant to me!).
Overall review: Fantastic car for the commuter and outdoorsman. Not recommended for someone who needs to transport a lot of people. Overall, we really, really love our Forester and when it's time to replace our second car, it will most likely be another car in the Subaru family.
Value for the Money by KiwiCanuck on 07/09/2008. Trim: 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Good handling, MPG is excellent, great all-round vision from the driver's seat.
Cons: A little under powered but that's ok as I know it's only a 2.5 engine. What really gets me and that's the self braking "assisted hill-start" .... absolutely horrible and I want it disconnected. This is an ok feature if you are 16 years of age but to an experienced driver there is no need for this feature. The seats could do with a little softening, after a long eight hour trip they do become uncomfortable.
Overall review: Excellent vision, good mileage, room for five people with four large suit cases and four "carry-ons"; a very well built SUV from Japan. Under the hood everything is fully accessable and colour coded for ease of service.