2007 Subaru Legacy

Great car: Subaru guy for life. by Tim on 11/28/2009. Trim: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 i Special Edition, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The handling is everything you would expect from a Subaru. Precise and smooth. Living in Wisconsin and with our harsh winters, I can't see myself driving a car that doesn't have AWD, and this Legacy is as good as advertised. Cuts through inches of snow like a hot knife through butter. Was tempted to buy a Mazda before this car, but after seeing my friend's Mazda6 fumble in the snow, my mind was made up and now I'm a Subaru guy for life. Exterior seems to be well-constructed. Love the styling, even though the 2008 upgrade looks nicer (the 2010 is too big and bulky for my tastes, but it may grow on me). Love the sunroof and amenities. Storage is OK.
Cons: Stock sound system sounds great, but the front speakers are problematic. They cut out frequently after about a year of ownership and then would start working again perfectly. Then they started crackling after two years of ownership to the point where I had to get them replaced. And I by no means blast my stereo, just incredibly underpowered, though good sounding, speakers. The interior looks nice, but the plastic on the dashboard and stereo creaks in cold weather or on rough roads. At 40,000 miles they are said to have a problem with rain water getting in and effecting the computer. Cost upwards of $600 to get this fixed, they say it's a Subaru thing but I've never heard of it. Lame.
Overall review: Overall, I'm at 44,000 miles and besides the little hiccup, I don't foresee any nagging problems down the road. Get scheduled maintenance and regular oil changes and I think she'll be fine for a long time to come. The guy at the dealership did say that the rain water problem (caused the car to shake violently upon starting and have a rough drive for a couple miles before righting itself) can happen every 40k miles, but once again, I've known other guys who have owned Subarus and have never had this problem, so I don't know. Performance is sub par as far as off-the-line acceleration goes, it's really slow and you're not going to beat anybody if that's your thing. Though on the interstate I've blown past people when I've needed to, so it's acceleration in traffic I've found to be great. LOVE it in the winter time. I always wonder what it'd be like to own another car, then winter time comes along and I can't see myself in any other car. Once again, Subaru guy for life.
Greatest Car Ever by Minnesota on 11/12/2008. Trim: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 i Special Edition, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Is the best thing on snow and ice that money can buy. I can hardly believe the rating msn gave it, hands down the best car I have ever had.
Cons: Everyone does not own one, our roads would be safer in the winter
Overall review: Great car at a great value, I would recommend purchasing new if you are looking at a year or two old one, since the used ones hold their value so well.
Under Rated Car by Dave from Denver on 07/23/2008. Trim: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 i Special Edition, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Excellent gas mileage, I average over 30 mpg around town. You can comfortable fit 4 people in the vehicle and rides well. It handles well in the snow.
Cons: Small trunk space. I have an electrical problem that was had to fix when I first purchased the vehicle but is fixed now. Parts of the vehicle rattle, which is annoying.
Overall review: I would purchase this car again. With gas being over $4 a gallon these days and the insurance on this car is inexpensive due to the safety rating, I love this vehicle. I use it mostly for commuting around town.
Exceptional performance, value and reliability. by Rukuss on 04/02/2011. Trim: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The Spec.B offers a massive power output mated to a smooth 6 speed manual that seems to change gears at the flick of a finger. The AWD offers enough grip off the line that it becomes difficult to prepare for the next gear. Snow handling is exceptional with extra control offered under firm throttle input. Acceleration at any speed is excellent and provides enough power that more is not desired, anything over 2500rpm gives excellent response, lag from the turbo is minimal and absolutely no different than would be had from a naturally aspirated v6 engine. Steering is accurate and responsive, comfortable for city and highway. Clutch is light and requires little force. I would recommend it.
Cons: Braking from 100kmh(60mph) is done in 135ft which is average. Dry weather handling leans towards under-steer and can only be correct using steering flick and firm throttle. Vehicle Stability Control is intrusive and will cut throttle input for far too long, for spirited driving best to turn off the VDC feature. Interior finish is very nice but the material quality and lifespan is questionable, regular squeaks and rattles from interior materials. Fuel economy under spirited driving lingers at 12.6L/100km(Prem.). Plain exterior styling,
Overall review: Great alternative to the Infiniti G35X, Audi and BMW. The Spec.B stands out with reliability, re-sale value and a great AWD system. When put up against it's competitors from a performance stand point it really excelles at acceleration and handling. My only concerns are with the interior quality because at just 60,000km my vehicle shows considerable interior wear. Alternatively the machanical components have not required any service, even when brought in for service the dealer hospitality is exceptional and really stands out. Fuel economy under spirited driving will linger in the 12.6L100km range but can be lowered to 10-11L/100km if driven smart and easy. The intelligent mode setting does NOT improve fuel economy, it just cuts off maximum throttle input and lowers response. The manual transmission is probably the best I have ever driven. I am happy with my purchase and I hope after you do extensive research the Spec.B will become your choice.
aburu by SpeedRacer from Seattle on 02/18/2008. Trim: 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited, Owned 2 years.
Pros: i like it a lot
Cons: nada zip
Overall review: 10