2007 Toyota Matrix

Versatile, Fun, Efficient by jmj227 on 06/10/2011. Trim: 2007 Toyota Matrix 4X2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Love the look, versatility of the hatchback, fantastic gas mileage, fun to drive, loads of cargo space (I fit a love seat in the car with the hatch closed!), lots of headroom and I feel like I'm driving high like in an SUV. I am averaging 36 mpg in city/highway driving although I drive like a grandma and have the manual transmission, I looked at the Honda Fit but it was more expensive and I did not think the seats were as comfortable as the Matrix. We have sat through 14,000 miles this year and love the car more than when we bought it! I have had three tanks over 40 mpg! There are multiple tie down locations in the rear for storage and multiple cubbies for storage as well.
Cons: This is a Toyota Corolla with a different body. That said, it's not exactly "quick" although I prefer gas mileage over acceleration. So some may find this car slow. Some reviewers say the engine is loud on the highway, but I have not found that to be the case at all (could be the manual transmission which has an extra gear over the auto). The trunk is hard plastic, which is nice for spills and dirt, but stuff rolls all over if it isn't tied down. If the passenger or driver take off their seat belt while the car is in gear it emits a horrendous beep which is thoroughly annoying.
Overall review: I love this car and it is exactly what I was looking for. Have taken 4 people on a four day road trip and fit all our stuff and got great gas mileage at the same time. Great compromise between cargo space, comfort, and fuel economy. It's close to the Honda Fit with gas mileage, but if you check the specs it is significantly larger than the Fit as well. I'm very happy with The Matrix and hope I can drive it for years to come!
I'm surprised NOT to see more Great Reviews for the Matrix by Linda, Houma, Louisiana on 03/20/2010. Trim: 2007 Toyota Matrix 4X2, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I like how the Matrix looks, and it looks even better with the tinted windows and window guards I added. My Matrix handles well and is good on gas for zipping around town - Easy to park, too. It's actually surprising how much "cargo" the Matric can carry. I shop for for weeks at a time at the grocery, and Spring is in the air so I'm at Lowe's buying many big bags of potting soil and plants. I'm not disappointed!
Cons: The Matrix is very noisey - Not a good road trip car unless you have no other choice, but for getting around town, shopping, going to class (I'm a grad student)... the Matrix is a really great car. I would have liked a bigger gas tank, my other car is a GMC SUV and holds 60 gallons...
Overall review: I got the basic Matrix - with power windows and it's RED... I love the Toyota RED... when I first bought it my grandson thought it was the little red race car from the movie cars!!! It's cute and my fellow classmates have asked me too many times "Is that your car?" and when I finally asked one of them why ask me that - they said they thought it belonged to one of my kids. What does that mean? The car has a youthful, fun appearance!!! I like mine except for the noise but if you play the radio loud enough the road noise is not a problem. Smile.
Sporty Wagon by Russ from Hartford on 06/24/2012. Trim: 2007 Toyota Matrix 4X2, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great handling & breaks, comforatable seating, handy controls, good acceleration and cruising for a 1.8 engine. Also, lots of headroom and good rear seat room for a small car. All this and 34- 38 mpg with manual tranny.
Cons: Road/ tire noise. Clutch action could be improved. Shifting of the 5 speed could be smoother.
Overall review: Overall, I love this car! The versitility, handling, comfort, reliability and economy are more important to me than its cons.
Great Commuter by Jeff from Lander, WY on 01/03/2008. Trim: 2007 Toyota Matrix 4X2, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Economical
Cons: The rear door does not open high enough, especially when cold.
Overall review: Great commuter car which is what I bought it for. Not luxuorious, but not inteded to be. I recommend this car to anyone who asks.
One of the best small cars by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/21/2007. Trim: 2007 Toyota Matrix 4X2, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Excelent fuel economy, very spacious, can haul a months worth of groceries with the seats down.
Cons: When braking the car begins to steer to the left, I've owned 3 Toyotas and not 1 ever did this. Engine always sounds like it is working way to hard even with light acceleration.
Overall review: Excelent Car