2007 Ford Focus

NOT a SNOW car! by Jim from Indiana on 12/10/2011. Trim: 2007 Ford Focus 5-Door Hatchback SES, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Fun to drive; peppy responsive engine; good mpg; heated seats
Cons: Road noise; rear seat capacity; handling in the snow
Overall review: I found this car fun to drive and great on gas. I bought it as a commuter car and it served this purpose, EXCEPT in the SNOW! It did NOT handle well in the snow. The rear end seemed to want to sway easily. I drive long commutes and at times driving in the snow was nervewracking, wondering how this vehicle was going to respond. I consulted with the local Ford dealer service technicians, and they confirmed this is a common statement. I investigated snow tire, trunk weight, etc. and decided against all of them. I had the car 15 months and traded it for a Toyota Camry. If you live in a state where snow is an issue, AVOID this car. It would be great if you live in a southern state.
Test Driver
Fun, Reliable, and Economical by Justin on 06/19/2013. Trim: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan S.
Pros: This is a really fun, and economical car to drive. The DOHC motor is very peppy and the car is very un-hesitant everytime I touch the gas. The fuel economy is superb averaging about 36mpg and the car handles around corners like it's on rails. When idling, it's hard to tell that the engine is even running. Now with 86 000km on it, the only troubles it has had, is a creaky sound when turning the tires in cold weather, and a sway bar link.
Cons: From personal experience and from what I have heard from tire places, ford focuses go out of alignment easily and their camber can cause them to wear through rear tires frequently. The car goes through tires less than every 40 000km. The interior in my opinion is kind of tawdry looking too. Besides that, I can't complain.
Overall review: A family member bought this car brand new back in 2007, and has now put 86 000km with only some minor issues so far. I have also gotten the opportunity to drive this car on a frequent basis and I can say it's a very fun and easy to drive car. The handling is very awesome and light feeling. With the peppy motor, you don't have to put on much gas on for it to lurch forward. I can go for 550km before having to worry about running empty too and averages just over 36mpg on the highway. I've enjoyed driving this car so much that I may buy one of these as my next car. If your looking for an economical, fun, safe, reliable well built and great handling car. I would highly recommend this car.
2007 Focus ST owner by New England Focus Fan on 01/09/2014. Trim: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan ST, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The paint still looks almost new after 7 years. The leather and suede seats are very nice and comfortable, although they lack an adjustable driver lumbar support.I have the Focus ST model and this Focus still gets many long looks from fellow enthusiasts and Mazda 3 owners as well as Civic Si and Corolla owners. The ST handles very well and is a blast to drive at its limits.
Cons: The transmission lacks a quick ratio, which slows down the performance times. The gas mileage is not what the manufacturer claims it is, I average only 20 mpg in the city, while the highway is still good at 32 mpg. The Focus could use larger (17") wheels and tires,the engine would benefit immensely from an additional 15 to 20 hp, as well as a 6th speed.
Overall review: The 2007 Focus ST is a great car for the money, the acceleration is pretty good with 0-60 times of 7.4 to 7.7 seconds and a top speed over 125 mph. The overall fit and finish is good for the class with numerous options available to suit many different tastes. For the person looking for a car that handles like a sports car with decent gas mileage and can keep up with the Focus SVT while on a limited budget, I recommend this car.
Pain in the Pocketbook by Dissapointed from Wisconsin on 12/25/2013. Trim: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan SES, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I like that it's a 4dr, has power windows and locks. It gets at least 30mpg on highway.
Cons: I don't like the cheap plastic interior. The storage compartment latches all broke and are now useless. I have trouble with the car starting. It's like it just doesn't get enough fuel to crank it over unless you try several times. Taken it to a mechanic repeatedly for this problem but they have no idea what is causing this. Put in a new fuel pump but that didn't help. The parking brake cable will fall eventually making a very annoying squeaky spring sound. I guess a few zip ties solved that problem. I thought it was a bushing but it wasn't. That saved me $300+. Air bag triggers on and off on a whim. So not sure if it will ever do what is needed if needed. My next car won't be a Ford
Overall review: I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Ford Focus SES.
Glad I got it by NJ Turnpike Warrior on 01/03/2013. Trim: 2007 Ford Focus Sedan SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I bought this Focus used, with about 70K miles. I've had it two years now, and it's got about 90K on the clock. Incredibly reliable. I've never had to fix anything but one headlight bulb, and one taillight bulb. Other than that, it's been perfect. Plenty of power, engine is quite perky. Suspension is tight. Great on gas.
Cons: Interior looks "cheap", lots of plastic. Console/armrest is flimsy and broke as soon as I touched it, essentially. Paint scratches if you look at it funny. Lots of road noise. Car handles terribly in the rain, but that might be the tires to blame, not the car. Truck latching mechanism frequently rattles when unlocked. Brakes tend to be a bit grabby when wet, until they dry off. All minor complaints, the car delivers where it matters.
Overall review: A great, reliable, economical car. The car is missing a lot of creature comforts, but what do you expect for the price? Best summary of all, I'm glad I bought my Focus, and I'd do it again.