2006 Volvo S40

2006 Volvo S40 Prices
2006 Volvo S40 Fuel Economy
I LOVE MY CAR!!! by Shannon on 02/17/2011. Trim: 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I wanted a small car to commute to work, but also wanted a safe car. The S40 is the perfect combination. It handles great in high traffic areas, and has great acceleration for when I need that extra boost. I currently get 23.7mph in the city. The Flint Gray is a great color that doesn't show when it's dirty and I have received numerous compliments on how stylish the car looks. The power driver seat gives me just the right amount of lift so I feel comfortable while driving (I'm 5' tall). And the backseat is big enough to fit a large portable dog kennel.
Cons: The passenger seat (not powered) is extremely difficult to get out of, and you almost have to "fall" into it when getting in the car. I didn't consider trying that part of the car out until after I bought it. Since I bought it used, the leather seats are cracked and look "old". I'm sure if they had been properly cared for, they wouldn't be splitting. There is no ipod hookup in the car and the radio and AC knobs are peeling. I do not particularly care for the center console style, except for the "hiding" spot behind it. The trunk opening is not big at all, And the wiring harness' in the doors are known to go bad (but are not expensive to change)
Overall review: I bought my Volvo used (from a non-volvo dealership) with just under 50k miles. My first week in the car was tough. There were minor electrical & AC issues, but the local Volvo dealership fixed them at no charge. Volvo truly stands by their product! I love the way it looks and handles & I notice people staring at it when I am at gas stations, and I have had several people say it looks similar to a BMW. If you keep the tires properly inflated, and keep to the scheduled maintenance, this car will last a long time. I will be purchasing the 2011 S40 next because it has an ipod connection, better leather, and both front seats are powered...which are the main issues I have with my current car. This car is not expensive to maintain either. Volvo for life :)
Quality car at low price by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/06/2006. Trim: 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Awesome, great quality interior. Good pickup for low horsepower
Cons: The standard 2.4 should have came with more horsepower. Scheduled maintenance not included.
Overall review: Love the car. Finally Volvo is marketing to younger consumers.
Fun Car, bad reliability. by Gregory from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/20/2013. Trim: 2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: I loved how sporty and sleek my S40 T5 AWD was. The Vehicle handled great, accelerated quickly, and stopped on a dime.
Cons: This vehicle was an electrical NIGHTMARE!!!! First my entire central locking system quit working at 28,000 miles (repaired under warranty), then the electronics on the left side of the vehicle stopped working at 33,000 miles (warranty), then the vehicle "forgot" the keys at 34,500 miles, out of pocket $1200 to have new keys made and programmed. If you shut the drivers door with too much pressure, the electronic locks wouldn't work and you'd have to use the metal key blade to enter, which would in turn, sound the alarm (which wouldn't go off until you started the car with the correct key.)
Overall review: Overall, I loved this vehicle when it wasn't in the shop for costly repairs (about every 2500 miles). Parts and Labor were VERY expensive and most work could only be done by a certified Volvo mechanic at the dealership (Phillips/Freedom Volvo of Virginia Beach, Wynne Volvo of Hampton). The front suspension wore out and had to be completely replaced (Struts, CV axles, EVERYTHING) at 50,000 miles. As mentioned above, the electronic issues started early and never ended. The car ended up being declared as a total loss after it leaked during a Nor-Easter. There was no physical damage, it just leaked. It is definitely a great car if you can afford the constant, meticulous service that it requires. If you cant afford $1500 every time it goes in the shop, don't even bother buying this car.
100 percent satisfied by TD on 05/27/2006. Trim: 2006 Volvo S40 T5, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Everything!
Cons: Nothing!
Overall review: I am so pleased with this purchase! I have never purchased a car and been 100 percent satisfied until now!
Not Boxy, but good. by Zben - Bridgewater, NJ on 05/11/2006. Trim: 2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Had the car about three weeks. Love this car. Quick accelleration (T5 AWD with 6-speed stick), Premium sound package is great, handles great. Pretty good handling, and excellent brakes. Seats are very comfy, even on a long trip. Expect about 32 MPG on the highway driving, about 23 around town.
Cons: The first couple of days I owned it, I kept hitting the button to turn on the climate control every time I shifted into first gear. A Minor problem with the sound system, which has since fixed itself. A few days after I got it, when listening to a CD, it would switch to the radio. This happened shortly after starting the car, but once it happened, it wouldn't occur again until you switched off the car and started it up again. It happened for about a week, then suddenly works ok now.
Overall review: Definately happy with the car. This is the second Volvo I've owned (first one was '95 850), and Volvo's are quite a bit different now.