2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Dependable car, highly under rated by the pro reviewers. by Russ, New Mexico, USA on 11/22/2010. Trim: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Very dependable. Currently have 139,000 miles on it. No trouble at all. Nice performance for a relatively inexpensive car. Nice little features like the Pioneer sound system with woofer in the trunk. Gas mileage is good unless you push it hard. Easy driving gets you 35 mpg +. Hard driving puts it in the 28-30 mpg zone. Mountain road handling is great in the SS.
Cons: Rear seat design is terrible. Not good for adults with big feet. Trunk opening isn't good for large items. However, there is a lot of room inside once you wiggle in the large item.
Overall review: Too bad they don't make the 4 door SS anymore. There were too many comparisons to the Chevy Cavalier. I think this car is in a different class than the Cavalier was. I've driven both, and this car is nothing like the Cavalier. I have spent less on this car with this mileage than ANY car I have ever owned. My Honda's always had timing belts and seals that had to be replaced along with constantly warping brake rotors. This car has been a gem on maintenance. I have spent ZERO dollars on non maintenance items since the car was new in 2006. That's 4 years at the time of this writing. This car was severely under rated by the professional reviewers.
Good Little Coupe by Darren from PA on 02/19/2010. Trim: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I like the way the car looks, even if it is a tad bland. I do like the four round lights on the back of the coupe, but they don't really remind me of the corvette, which was the point. I like how quiet the car is, I like the pep of the engine, I like the smooth-shifting automatic (still wish for the stick). Mine's red, and has the optional rear spoiler (pointless), so it looks pretty sporty for an economy car. It's inoffensive transportation, and after having a Mini Cooper that EVERYONE asked me about, it's nice not to have to explain every little thing about it. To end, it's just really easy to drive.
Cons: The back window is practically flat, and with the high rear-end, small back windows, and a seat that doesn't raise up very high, it's hard to see out of the car. I HATE that the LS doesn't even offer power windows/door locks, and I wish it had ABS, another feature not even offered. I think no car should have wheel covers, even if they are okay-looking. For some reason mine does not have fold-down rear seats, even though the manual says it's a standard feature. The back seat is TINY.
Overall review: I like this car. I don't love it, I don't hate it. It was there, I liked the looks, I liked the price, and I liked the fuel economy. I traded a Jeep Liberty which SUCKED gas. Great car, the Lib, but just not fuel efficient. I like the upmarket features (trip computer, fuel economy, standard CD, relatively powerful engine, etc). Overall, it's a nice little car, and I would recommend it. I haven't had it very long, but I plan on keeping it for a while. It's truly an appliance, and if that's what you're looking for, then this is the car to get. I imagine the sedan is even more practical, I just didn't need four doors, and I do think the coupe is more attractive.
I will buy another... by Frank T on 02/08/2014. Trim: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Dependable, VERY low cost to maintain, excellent gas mileage.
Cons: LS model has manual windows, no power locks, front struts can be an issue.
Overall review: 171,000 miles runs great-still getting 35-37 MPG at that mileage. The only replacement items are-wear and tear items (tires,brakes). I am in sales and drive this car everyday average about 650 miles a week. The car has never let me down, its very easy for me to work on, I will buy another Colbalt newer-2009 or 2010, and always recommend this vehicle to buy as a low cost driver. Not sure why people are rating the Colbalt low- it is what it is, a cheap everyday dependable car- now most of those people- drive their cars into the ground and have issues with every car they drive- learn how to drive a car without abusing it-ITS YOU NOT THE CAR...
More Than Expected! by Travlin RN on 08/30/2009. Trim: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Wanted to downs size but didn't want to give up the nice extras..this little car has it all. Sporty modern look-silver- beautiful paint. Interior lines are clean and simple-love the controls on the steering wheel, sat radio opt, Pioneer-sound is super, phone/Onstar allows me security. Can't wait to try out the remote start when the snow flies. Drives like a dream. Plenty of power when I need, quiet, responsive and delight to drive city or highway. Mileage is super @ 26mpg city!
Overall review: After reading some "expert reviews" I was hesitant. Fortunately real folks shared their stories and I made the jump. I'm really glad I made this purchase and would recommend this auto to anyone looking for a "lux" economy car!
Waste of Money by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/27/2009. Trim: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Sporty look, good price with several features
Cons: Depreciation, reliability
Overall review: I bought this car for the look and the features but it has been nothing but trouble since I have had it. I had to have the computer reprogrammed and brakes replaced at 30k miles then there was a recall because the a/c was leaking into the interior. I then had to have the throttle body replaced because of a faulty air control valve and its back in the shop because the power steering is out and the car is barely running with the a/c on. It had a great look to it, but if you're looking for a car to last you this is not it.