1996 Geo Metro

1996 Geo Metro Prices
1996 Geo Metro Fuel Economy
Caution -- lower control arms rust out by Paul in Wisconsin on 03/16/2012. Trim: 1996 Geo Metro LSi 2-Door hatchback, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Love this car for local errand driving. Good visibility, great AC, great brakes. Low cost to operate and easy to fix. Except for the one item I will list in the cons.
Cons: CAUTION ANY BUYER OF A USED METRO!!! If you are in any state where roads are salted be careful about buying any used METRO. Why? Because GM has a poor design that allows salt to eat through the support brackets that hold the lower control arm to the steering and axle. When that happens the front wheel collapses. My '96 gas reached that point with 165,000 miles on it. It can not be fixed. I have seen 4 others in Wisconsin having the same problem. The first one that goes is the passenger side. Other cons: really under powered even with the big block 4 and only 35 mpg. Gas filler tube rusts out and is not available.
Overall review: Good cheap car. Easy to fix except for the lower control arm and gas filler tube. I did fix the tube where it rusted out with a beer can and spray foam insulation. The lower control arm bracket can't be legally fixed because it requires welding the suspension. If you need basic transportation and the METRO you are looking at isn't rusted and you've checked the lower control arms mountings then buy it. Otherwise look for Honda or Toyota.
Great Little Car by Ted on 01/27/2001. Trim: 1996 Geo Metro 2-Door Hatchback, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I owned a 96 Metro drove it 58,000 trouble free miles it had a top speed of 93 m.p.h. would average 43 m.p.g. hiway it kept me warm in below zero weather and had air that kept us cool in the hottest weather in the time I owned this car not one thing went wrong. They are a very tough peice of equitment
Cons: with the 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine it was neccesary to downshift on steeper hills even on hiway and running the AC would pull it down more but you expect that from small powerplants
Overall review: I would reccomend a Geo Metro to everyone that wants a dependable ride with good gas mileage I have talked with other Metro owners that have put 150,000 to 200,000 on them before overhaul or trading off not too many lower priced cars have that reputation.
13 years and going strong. by Kevin in Tennessee on 08/30/2009. Trim: 1996 Geo Metro LSi 2-Door hatchback, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Gets better milage than most hybrids. People used to make fun of me when I bought it new. They stopped laughing when gas hit $4.00/gal. I have had few problems with it. A cylinder went out at 177,000 miles and I still got 30 mpg. with two cylinders. My bloodhound thought it was his dog house.
Cons: It is under powered. It has less power using ethonal. They say they don't last very well. I don't know yet it only has 257,000 miles on it now and still runs good. You can get lost in a pot hole if not careful. It has an engine that is actually used in snowmobiles.
Overall review: This has been the best car I have ever had and I am old. I think I will restore it because there is no new car that comes close to the gas milage except some hybrids and who wants to pay for that. It is a liitle slow. It does the half hour in 31 minutes.
The ultimate get you to A to Z car, hands down!!!! by Veteran from Texas on 07/13/2008. Trim: 1996 Geo Metro LSi 2-Door hatchback, Owned 10 years.
Pros: I love the reliability and gas mileage.
Cons: Dash is faded.
Overall review: I'm 58 years old and have had lots of cars and the most reliable has been my wifes Geo Metro. She bought it in 1998 and at present she has 147000 miles on it and It runs as excellent as the day she bought it!
My dream car by Packrat from C. Oklahoma on 03/28/2004. Trim: 1996 Geo Metro Sedan, Owned 8 years.
Pros: This car has been very good investment. I have 180,000 miles on it and I am hoping to get a lot more. Hasn't had any major problems the only thing that has been replaced has been the water pump and that was about 1000 miles ago, besides the regular things like tires, brake shoes, etc.
Cons: More seating would have been great.
Overall review: The best car I have ever had . I have bought a different car that will seat more people , but I won't sell this one. I will still drive it.
Review ID: #420989 Is this review offensive?