2005 Volkswagen Touareg

Investigate before you buy by mike on 06/08/2007. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Very nice looking and attractive vehicle
Cons: We have had our Touareg for less than a year and it has been in the dealers shop 14 times and most of these visits the SUV has been in for an average of three or more days. We have been through two sets of tires with only 34,000 mile on the vehicle. Two brake replacements which cost $500.00. Everything and anything has gone wrong with this SUV. Very poor electrical system. An oil change will cost you $105.00.
Overall review: Our dealer has been great. A number of us Touareg owners have become friends as all of us meet it seems at the dealers do to our Touareg’s are always in the shop. Biggest mistake I made in buying this vehicle. What a LEMON. I cannot believe it is a VW. If you do not believe what I have experienced look at CR reports on used cars.
Review ID: #512064 Is this review offensive?
A perfomance SUV not easily matched by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/04/2006. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Performance is great. As heavy as the ford Expedition. Turning is a breeze. Latest in technology. At 120 mph, ride is smooth with a feeling of full control. Six piston brakes are amoung the best in the SUV Class. With wind gust at 45 mph, plus driving at 70 mph, I was in full lay back relax driving mode while I saw cars and SUV's swaying in and out of their lane over the bridge in front of me. My only concern was them hitting me due to them having an SUV that was having driving issues.
Cons: 1.Tires will wear out quicker because of the 4 wheel drive 50/50 ratio. This ratio helps greatly in the foul weather. Handling at high speeds also. But something has to give, tires and brakes. 2. The navagation system both in BMW and Volkswagen need help. The Honda and Lexus have the best in any market. 3. Volks dealers ARE not well trained in the art of repairing the Touareg. Do not take their word at face value. For example, I have an after market HIGH END Navagation system. Was installed by the dealer who happened to also be a Lic. Ford mechanic. Volkswagen said the airbags warning lights is the result of the nav system.Airbage are on a seperate system not shared with any other system.
Overall review: Great Suv. Expensive to run, but it is one of the safest SUV on the road today. don't let any say the a lite car is safer than a train. Weight is king when in an accident. This unit is lower center of gravity prevents it from tip over, the weight prevents you from being crushed like a soda can. The power lets you accelerate onto the freeway without being honked because your driving to slow.
My Touareg lives at the dealership and visits my garage! by Broken Down Touareg in Las Vegas on 03/23/2006. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I've owned my 2005 V8 Touareg for 13 months now. When it works, it drives like a dream! Great acceleration, manuevability, with a relatively smooth ride. The leather interior feels oppulent with lots of comfort features. I have used every feature the SUV has--again, when it works.
Cons: In the last 13 months my Touareg has had over 20 extended visits to the dealership. Since purchasing the Touareg I have had problems with: 1)the airbag sash, 2)the fuel gauge, 3)the hand brake light, 4)the "door-open" light in the dash, 5)the turn indicators, 6)clicking sounds in the dash, 7)white smoke from the exhaust, 8)turn indicators 'losing' their clicking sound, 9)the CD player skipping and not releasing the CDs, 10)no lights in the dash, 11)the alternator, and 12)the keyless remote. In fact my Touareg is currently in the dealership for yet another repair involving some "fault interrupt" as per the "engine control module".
Overall review: If it didn't need so many repairs the Touareg would be a truly magnificent SUV. However, since it's at the dealership so frequently with countless hours wasted (each item needing repair always takes more than one visit to get repaired--at least those malfunctions the dealership will even address); I am completely disappointed with VW and find the Touareg to be a VERY POOR quality vehicle! Based on my personal experience I do NOT recommend even considering the purchase of a Touareg!
Worst Mistake in VW history! by Julie H. From Rochester, NH on 11/15/2005. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I loved the way this SUV looked, and all the features that it had.
Cons: It was a nightmare vehicle. I owned it for about 2 months, and it was back at the dealership 13 times. I have always owned a VW, and have always bragged about how relieable they are, but this had one problem after another. CD player wouldn't work, they replaced it, doors locked, and computer continually reset. And once it just would NOT start, and I had to have it towed. I paid 46K, and took a beating when I unloaded it for 36K 2 months later, and I was one of among many unhappy Toureg owners.
Overall review: Not a deal. Soured me on VW forever. I was a pretty good customer at the dealership prior to this, (Purchased 5 VW's new in the last 7 years) But hindsight is always 20/20, and I have continually heard really poor reviews since.
Lemon by kim St Louis, Mo on 11/10/2005. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Fun car to drive great handling and acceleration.
Cons: Not for a family. Too small. My children are always fighting over being to close together. The brakes are terrible. I took this car for an oil change and they couldn't do it. Only the dealer has the proper tools to change oil. What is that? Very disapointed. I have only had this car for a few months and there are too many mechanical problems to list. What a Lemon.
Overall review: Don't Buy, unless your single and like to go 4 wheeling.