2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Prices
2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Fuel Economy
Fun Performer II by Buddythedog on 08/18/2012. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Owned since new, now has 100K. Great ride and performance, still like new. Overall Gas Mileage about 24. Everything still works. New brakes at 60K. Changed Water pump and timing belt at 90K. Currently on third set of tires. This car rides so much better than the other cars in my household. Love the heated seats and mirrors.
Cons: Tires wear out too soon. Basic maintenance is pricey. Uses premium Fuel and synthetic oil.
Overall review: Excellent Car
Could have been a 10 by Paris on 03/15/2009. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL TDI, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Love the spacious interior and the flexibility of the wagon. Great mileage from tdi never below 30mpg in city. Love the torque, better than some full sized pickups I've owned. Looks and drive like a car worth thousand more, still handles great and drives great after 4 years. Wouldn't trade it unless I could upgrade to the Passat TDI Common rail, only in EU.
Cons: Over the past 4 years its had its little things go wrong: Interior plastic peels, had door panels replaced for bubbling up, could be heat in Texas but have 15 year old Saturn and never had this problem. a few electro gremlins also have appeared that stumped VW dealer but, were taken care of. Most serious problem, car has only 49k miles, had to have both universal joints and boots and shafts replaced! VW was wonderful and did all work but, still, 15 year old Saturn never, ever had this problem still on original hardware! l
Overall review: I love the TDI wagon, it would have gotten a ten on everything if it hadn't been for the mechanical problems and the fact that it is not available in RED, not burgundy or maroon but RED, just like in Germany. My only concern is the durability issues, I am meticulous with my vehicles; Best lubricants, best diesel-gas, best filters, detail 3-5 year to protect my investment. I know this is about my VW but I also have a 15 year old Saturn and its the spoiler, if it weren't such a great and dependable car maybe the VW would have gotten a better grade. PS to all who cant find the oil for your TDI, Amsoil makes a great product and it runs about 8$ when purchased in large quantities, Castrol also makes a 5w40 that meets VW requirements and finally Mobil 1 5w30 works too. Hope this helps and keep driving the TDI"S
Love this Wagen by JavaJunkie from Spokane on 02/06/2008. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Interior: comfortable, fits 4 adults with no problem, lots of space to haul cargo, lighting, volume control on wheel, wood grain, cooled glove box, manual option, sun roof closes even when the car is off, auto seats, heated seats with (1-5 heat option), adjustable arm-rest between passanger and driver, cup holders hold drinks stable, love it! Exterior: looks great, 17" wheels, 4motion is excellent! I live in the great pacific northwest (Spokane) and have had one of the snowiest winters in over a decade and not a problem-great snow car! rain sensing windshield wipers-love this feature, sort of thought it was over rated when I bought the car but wouldn't want to be without it.
Cons: sort of thought it might get better gas mileage but not really an issue, wish I could just scan my programed channels with the touch button on steering wheel (maybe an option but I haven't figured it out), vin says it's equipt with onstar telematics but no one can give me a straight answer on what that really means (would be nice it was able to have onstar?), wish I could turn on the rain sensing feature-love it but don't always want it on.
Overall review: Overall, LOVE this vehicle! I wanted something that could fit adults, carry my 3 dogs and cargo, but I didn't really want a SUV. This is the perfect answer!! I will buy one again or an audi. Love the ride. I drive long distances and it's comfortable and a smooth ride the whole way. If you are in the market it's definitely worth a test drive! I've driven almost everything on the market and for the price and features this wins hands down. Love it!
Diesel Power Plays in Peoria! by BioMan in Peoria Illinois on 11/06/2007. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS TDI, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The car simply looks great! Mines loaded with 17" alloy wheels, wood grain - leather interior. Fit and finish are perfect. After 2 years of ownership, everytime I see it, I'm pleased. Fuel mileage is awesome, I shake my head wondering why the US drivers don't embrace diesels, my secret and $$ in my pocket. This baby handles like its on rails, you'd be hard pressed to find a "family" car that handles like this one, it hold the on/off ramps as speeds well above the posted recommendation. Interior fits me like a glove, good storage compartments, all switches and items are where they should be. The diesel has lots of torque.
Cons: The multi disc changer in the trunk is bad, it needs to be in the dash. The turbo lag when the engine is cold is noticeable, but goes away when the engine warms up. VW should offer a plug in heater for cold climates. Last winter in Wisconsin, the temp was -31 F, but she cranked up with a 100 watt trouble light on in the engine compartment, didn't sound good, but all diesels hammer at the sub zero temps. The plastic cover parts on the engine are cheesy. The VW 505.01 spec oil is a hassle finding, I end up mail ordering to change myself, but very easy with a Pela vacuum pump. The center wheel cover wire removal tool is hard to find in the tool bag, a screw driver slot would be simplier.
Overall review: Overall this is an outstanding car, great looks, great fuel mileage with great interior comfort. Maintenance issues need to be addressed, forcing the average user to the dealership for high priced service leaves the owner feeling used. There are ways around and there are great user groups to help educate the neophyte on diesels. Take the diesel plunge, enjoy the power and economy! Diesels rule!
Can't believe this is a diesel wagon! by Dr. Mike, Indiana on 08/13/2007. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS TDI, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Handles like a true sports wagon. You really don't feel you are driving a diesel. Torque pattern is excellent. Transmission is a joy. Highway driving is fun.
Cons: dealer service can be weak
Overall review: Can't wait for the next generation of diesel automobiles from Volkswagen! I have also heard that Subaru will be bringing out their line of diesel cars in the next couple of years. Volkswagen will have to keep up with their offerings