2005 Volkswagen Passat

2005 VW passat review by MIke on 07/10/2013. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Great milage and handling, nice simple reliable car
Cons: Does not have a compass
Overall review: I have a 2005 with 87000 problem free miles with the 1.8T engine. Always changed oil at 5000 miles and use schaffers 5w40 synthetic oil. Just did the timming belt at 87000 miles becuase it was showing some age,VW recomands 100,000 but you must factor in age,While doing this I also changed out water pump and coolant. This does cost about $700-850 at dealers but parts are only 375 for do ityourselfers like me. Do not ever over look a timming belt on a VW it will destroy your engine to the point of no repair! Other wise a set of brakes and two sets of tires is all I have spent. I have owned this car since new and have been very happy with it.
First VW ever owned by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/21/2012. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Original owner with no major problems. Like style, handling, comfort and great a/c and heating.
Cons: Not the best on mileage.
Overall review: Good vehicle.
Great car when it is parked... by Nick on 04/18/2012. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Loved the style of this car, looked great with the GLX 17" wheels and tinted windows, had a very smooth ride.
Cons: Where do I start? Engine burned every last drop of oil between oil changes, dealer said it was within "normal amount." Power steering had issues that made the car extremely difficult to turn at low/parking lot speeds that the dealer said was also fine. Even with the V6 engine the car could barely get out of it's own way, made me nervous getting on highways. Ignition failed at 31,000 miles. Even with the monsoon stereo, 2 speakers blew and I never turned it up THAT much that any speakers should have blown. Oil changes (even though there was no oil in it to change) cost at least $75 each time.
Overall review: I bought this car in 2010 because I always loved this body style Passat...my sister had a 2003 Passat 1.8T and had some problems with hers so I figured a 2005 V6 would be more reliable, obviously I was wrong. The car had 28,000 miles on it when I bought it and was certified pre-owned but it didnt matter very much as pretty much any VW dealer either doesn't know how to work on their cars or they're just too lazy so every issue/problem is "normal" in their eyes. I put 8,000 miles on it then traded it in and as much as I loved the way it looked, I have never once missed the car. Please, do yourself and your wallet a favor and stay away from the Passat.
Started out GREAT, but high maintenance! by drc on 06/10/2011. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: BEST HEATED SEATS IN ANY VEHICLE! Great initial power, maneuverability, gas mileage (25-31), easy to clean interior, feels safe, very responsive. Plenty of headroom in the front seats if you are 6'5" or under, but back seat headroom is lacking if you are tall. Huge trunk! Love the rear split seats! Easy to clean leather...stays well in condition. Not a fan of the dealership, but they are working on getting better; just not sure I want to buy another VW.
Cons: Had three MAJOR problems ($1,500 or more) starting at 55,000 miles. Back seat headroom is lacking for adults. Prefer clock to be on center console, love the dash and night light displays...resembles airplane cockpit! Initial tires were cheap GENERALS...that didn't last more than 36,000! Anything to save $$$ (dealers).
Overall review: I really love the color of the car, the interior, the sunroof and leather seats. The outside has beautiful lines and with tinted windows is pretty sharp. Not as maintenance-free as Volvo...or HONDA...expensive to repair. Mileage is GREAT: 25-31 depending on driving habits and I maintain flow of traffic.
A bang for a buck! by sc on 06/23/2005. Trim: 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Everything about this stunning car!
Cons: Console space
Overall review: This was my first brand new car and I could not think of a better car to own.