2005 Volvo XC90

"Very disappointed" by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/16/2010. Trim: 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: This car handles well. Excellent highway driving. Very safe car. Some guy ran a light and hit my front driver side corner panel. Minimum damage to me, but his Poniac truck was totaled out.
Cons: This is an expensive headache. I've always wanted a Volvo. I have heard for years Volvo for life. My husband bought me one for my birthday. Loved it. Well in 2007 the transmission was replaced and again in 2010. Transmission problems for this make and model are a known issue, but not enough for a recall. It has been in the shop almost as much as it has been on the road. My warranty is up in November and repairs are not cheap. The service center is good, but they have no clue as to what is wrong with this car. The so called computer doesn't even know which has to be "reset" seems to be once a month but no one knows why.
Overall review: My overall review hurts to say. This make and model is a terrible waste of money. I will go back to what I know lasts. HONDA!
Disappointed Loyal Volvo Owner by Amy on 09/12/2009. Trim: 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I really like the safety, comfort, and convenience of this car- especially the third seat and tailgate design. I like that I can haul my kids and their friends, or I can fold down the third seat and have lots of room in the back. I think the gas mileage for a car that seats 7 is reasonable, and it's not such a big vehicle that it feels like a living room on wheels- I can easily zip around town in this.
Cons: I'm very thankful that I purchased this pre-owned as it came with a 6 year/100000 mile warranty. So far, I've had something banging around in the steering column replaced- and major transmission issues. It was towed to the dealership 4 months ago when the transmission service/engine light came on. The dealership said it needed a software upgrade. Last week, it happened again. This time, they're replacing the transmission (it has 70000 miles). The dealer said they've been replacing about 1 XC90 transmission per week- and that they've all been around 70000 miles. So, it's under warranty, but evidently I need to get rid of this before the next 70000 are up, or it's on me.
Overall review: This is my 5th Volvo, and I really like Volvo (we also have a V70 wagon with 185,000 and going strong), but this is really making me reconsider repurchasing another Volvo. I definitely would not repurchase an XC90.
Worst SUV ever by Swapped it for a Q7. on 10/09/2007. Trim: 2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I liked the idea of Volvo safety and the interior cargo space. The product did not live up to these expectations.
Cons: Quality. Recalls.
Overall review: Get the V8, better gas mileage than the T6.
Buyer beware- I wish I knew by Dan Vestal NY on 12/10/2006. Trim: 2005 Volvo XC90 V8, Owned 1 year.
Pros: engine , transmission, roominess
Cons: After twent five visits to the dealer in one year, this is a bad vehicle. I begged for a buy back and to no avail. I was finally told I am hard on vehicles(although that must be brand specific) Does anyone have a radio/CD player that works? After three, mine still doesn't.
Overall review: Nice engine and handling, with a myriad of problems like a black mold with no customer support.
Watch out the front suspension by CAT, Miami on 01/11/2006. Trim: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Excelent performance and realiability.
Cons: The suspension started to make wird noises at only 10.000 miles. The dealer did not fix the problem when reported now it will have to be taken back and see if the second try is succesful. Paint quality quite dissapointing, after a year and half the car has to be completely repainted because of several spots spread all over the body.
Overall review: Will buy again if the dealer happens to solve effectively the problems and provides a credible explanation as to why the above cons happened