2005 Volvo S80

Great car when under Warranty by Oli in UK on 07/15/2011. Trim: 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The Volvo S80 is a quiet and comfortable car that gives you extremely good secure feeling when you are on the road. For its size the average MPG of 35 is very acceptable for me.
Cons: The reliability has been far from expected and repairs are very expensive and the service not that good from the local dealership. My Volvo S80 is now 6 years old and done 82k miles and basically done its full life. Last 6 months repairs have exceeded the selling value and the dealership has now informed that they have to change one ECU unit and that will set me back £1400/US$2200 to be able to figure out what other ECU units will need replacing. The cost for computer readout was £216/US$350 without any repairs. I have had enough and decided to cut my losses and scrap the car I had expected to do many years and many miles.
Overall review: I also have an 11 year old Mercedes E320 that has done 160k miles and that is a cheap car to keep on the road in parts and service compared to the Volvo. My advice is to do a contract hire for the warranty period and then return the car to the dealership because these are fabulous cars if you do not have to pay for the repairs. Thinking of buying second hand with out warranty,.. RUN AWAY!, I should have.
The Volvo service shop loves me by JP on 09/22/2010. Trim: 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Engine, transmission, interior roominess, safety reputation, stereo
Cons: Every week something else goes wrong. I've always owned Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, and am not used to frequent trips to the garage.
Overall review: I am trying to preserve my Honda Pilot SUV, which is pretty much perfect, so I bought a second car for long-distance commuting. I decided to to buy a used Volvo based on consistently great reviews from friends and family members who own them, and due to its safety ratings and more luxurious ride and interior than Honda, Toyota, etc. I had an independent mechanic check it out and other than needing a brake job, he said it looked OK. The Volvo quality seems to be eluding me. I've driven it 20K miles. Front wheel hubs replaced; sunroof broke ($500 repair I'm not willing to make); hot and cold air fluctuates in winter; the fan makes a growling noise; the gas mileage is lower than advertised; more brake work was needed; interior steering column hardware came loose; and there is a mysterious, intermittent scraping noise when taking right corners...it's been in the shop twice and they' can't figure it out because the noise is silent when they drive it.
My Best Car by Peter on 04/26/2010. Trim: 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Comfortable seats, terrific braking, and AWD combine to give you a feeling of total security.
Cons: not much to dislike. there are no futuristic features, and the styling is conservative. headlight bulbs expire quickly, but easy to replace.
Overall review: The first Volvo I have owned and can't imagine life without one ever again.
Excellent T5 by Old man from Colorado on 05/22/2008. Trim: 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T, Owned 2 years.
Pros: A long time Cadillac owner, I changed to Volvo in 2006. I have purchased only two new cars in my 75 years. Can't afford the depreciation. This car has excellent performance, turning range, gas mileage and comfort. I have driven the car some 30,000 miles in two years without any problems. Still have original tires with total mileage 42,000. Dealer in my area give excellent service.
Cons: It doesn't drive itself down the road.
Overall review: Excellent car. Will probably buy another Volvo when I decide to buy another car. When I purchased the Volvo I told my insurance agent that my auto insurance premiums should be less because of the safety of the car. He said, "yes, you have purchased one of the safest cars ever made but the cost of repairing the Volvo is more than other cars. However, your chances of living through an accident are far better while with other cars we have to pay for the medical care of those injured in those cars." You can't win when it comes to insurance premiums.
My best vehicle ever by Fawghorn Carlsbad, CA on 08/12/2006. Trim: 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I just love my S80. Far exceeds the rated MPG, strong engine, great ride. Feel like the car is a labrador dog -- always wanting to please me!! I've had mine for 14 months (22700 miles) and it has been perfect. Not one dime out of pocket or problem.
Cons: Id like couple more cup holders in front seating area. Id also Like a Turbo boost guage (I like guages!)
Overall review: In my opinion a great bargain for the buck's