2005 Dodge Dakota

Dakota's Good Trucks! by Happy in Fargo on 08/16/2010. Trim: 2005 Dodge Dakota Laramie Quad Cab 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: This is my fourth Dakota but the others were 2WD. My 90 & 91 were six cylinders and 95 5.2 & this one a 4.7 engine. I like the looks, ride and now the 4WD. I thought I would regret getting rid of the 5.2 but the 4.7 engine has done well. Four wheel drive is a must now. I have always liked the size of the Dakota's since I have not felt that I do not need a full-size pickup all the time. I bought it used with 49K and now have 62k. I have only had a rear axel leak that was easy fix. Like the leather interior, heated seats and the quad-cab. I had the extended cabs before and liked but the quad is the best.
Cons: My 5.2 had a cold weather problem and mechanics could not find the problem. This one has had rough idle that the dealer calls the "4.7 shake." I have lived with it because their reasoning sounded good but now thinking other wise. The dealer has said that Dodge has leaned out the engine to accomodate for the CA emissions standards but thinking they will have to take another look. My previous Dakota's I had to replace the radiators in all three. This one, good so far.
Overall review: Overall, a good truck. I like the looks of the Dakota's and other Dodge trucks.
Great likght towing vehicle. by Southwest Tom on 06/25/2010. Trim: 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Our second Dakota V8 - previously had '96 driven to 175,000 miles with almost no probelms (replaced starter at 160,000). Bought the '05 new with 4.7 V8 loaded with tow package. Have 54,000 miles on it now. Great performance, very comfortable, even on long drives, like 700 miles in a day. I pull a tandem axle trailer weighing up to 6500# with no problems. Gas mileage has been better than expected, around 17mpg in town and 22 on Interstates at 75+ mph. No mechanical problems, although factory radio failed at 40,000 miles and was replaced with upgraded unit.
Cons: Wind noise is sometimes excessive - I live in a very windy part of the country. Also, my '96 had a very handy storage compartment under the rear seats - the '05 does not.
Overall review: Excellent vehicle for my purposes. Will buy another one when this one hits the 150,000 mile mark.
BUY NEW by JOANIE on 12/21/2009. Trim: 2005 Dodge Dakota Laramie Quad Cab 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I LOVE EVERTHING ABOUT MY TRUCK IT IS THE FIRST TRUCK THAT I HAVE OWNED
Cons: I HAVE HAD MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END STEERING AND FRONT SUSPENSION
Overall review: I WOULD BUY ANOTHER
Really good truck by smartshopper from oklahoma city on 02/27/2009. Trim: 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Stylish truck. Plenty of room for my 4 person family. V8 will get up and go when you want. 4WD works great in ice/snow. No serious problems at +50k milies. Factory sound is pretty good. Huge front seat console with plenty of power outlets. Motorized/heated seats are nice. Nice factory wheels. Price!
Cons: Kind of loud noise when putting into gear, but i havent any other trouble with the trans other than that initial noise. Power windows are pretty slow. A lot of people said they dont like the interior, but i think its fine. No problems with stains or wear/tear on the seats.
Overall review: I bought this truck used, and have only put a few thousand miles on it so far. I was looking at mid to full size 4door truck. I shopped around quite a bit. I was really interested in the tacomas, but they werent so fantastic that i could justify spending that much more in price for a truck that really isnt any better in my opinion. Really happy with my choice. Cant wait to get a boat to pull behind it.
ok truck, not the best, not the worst by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/29/2008. Trim: 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like the way it drives and the look of it. It also has good power.
Cons: I don't like the fit and finish. It is cheap: the cloth seats are esp. poor. I have had poblems with a sensor which the dealership said was my fault because I had custom seat covers made to cove the cheap materal it came with and $300 dollars to fix it. The transmission clanks when you put it in reverse which I had the dealership check out which they also insist is fine. I don't believe it. It is VERY expensive to have serviced at the dealership. My last service (for oil, 4X4 service and so on) was over $600.00 That seems extreme for a car with only 30,000 miles on it. No other majour repairs. Had to replace a rear brake light.
Overall review: OK truck for the price, but expensive to maintain. If you can afford it get the tacoma instead.