2005 Jeep Liberty

LOVE MY LIBBY!!! by Squirrel on 12/22/2008. Trim: 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I bought it used, and I LOVE IT! I never want to get a different type of vehicle. It's fun to drive, easy to drive. You need to use common sense when driving it, it's NOT a car. I love the 4 wheel drive, it is great in the snow. The only complaint I have is that the seats are a little stiffer than I like. That's it! Great little SUV.
Cons: Just the stiffness of the seats. Not very cushy.
Overall review: I don't want to buy anything else, ever. And I am never going to be able to go back to a car...
Not Your Father's Jeep by TJ from VA on 12/30/2004. Trim: 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The Liberty handles better than any other 4WD I have driven. It is easy to maneuver in the city and fun to drive in the country. The V6 gives it plenty of pep. It is great to be a member of the Jeep family.
Cons: The interior set up is a little odd. Having the window controls in the center is a little confusing. The rear cup holders are in the doors. There isn't a compartment that is actually the right size for the manual packet. However, these are simply cosmetic issues and don't affect the performance of the vehicle.
Overall review: The Liberty is a fun little SUV. It is great for the city streets and country roads. It has the toughness of a Jeep, but the looks and comfort of a nice car. I would highly recommend.
The Diesel Jeep by RevTurtle on 10/09/2012. Trim: 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I have 167,000 miles and still counting. Great turning radius. Long cruising range 450-500 miles per tank, with 18-19 gallon fills, as most of my driving is Interstate. Long intervals between oil changes of 12,500 miles as per manufacturer recommendations. Comfortable for long trips. I'm partial to the high seating position, which gives a commanding view of the road. Easy to shift from 2WD to Part Time or Full Time 4WD.
Cons: Torque converter clutch went out at 125K miles: $2200 to have transmission completely rebuilt. Turbo was also replaced around 115K miles. Mobil 1 0W-40 oil is $9 per quart, and at 6.4 quarts per oil change, it's pricey; however, it's nice to have 12.5K oil change interval. It does use oil, which I'm told is normal for an engine with a turbo.
Overall review: I'm quite pleased overall with my Jeep and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. I remember a time when I pulled up to a diesel pump, when the station attendant ran out the door and said, "Sir!! Sir!!! That's diesel!!!" Lol! I was happy to point out that indeed this little Jeep is a diesel! Would recommend to anyone who is familiar with owning a diesel car, or to someone who's willing to learn what it's like to own one.
Only in a Jeep - Diesel SUV by Badassjeep on 06/17/2011. Trim: 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great mileage (CRD), even better when tuned (GDE ECO tune is the best) 30MPG and great power. Tows great, 5,000 pounds. Classic Jeep looks, my last Jeep was a CJ-5 and the grill on the Liberty is very much the same. This is not a light AWD cute-ute, it's a real 4x4 no comparison between the liberty and CRV or Rav4.
Cons: Window controls in the middle, Seats stain easy, without power seats it sits too high for someone my height (6'3")
Overall review: Only smaller SUV with a high tow rating, real 4x4 system and can still get near 30MPG. The Diesel really makes the liberty shine.
Liberty CRD is Awesome by Rick, Vancouver, British Columbia on 03/31/2011. Trim: 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: We love this beast. We downsized from an 08 Buick Enclave (too big/too thirsty)...our shopping list included 4x4, room for 4, durability, style and fuel efficiency. We didn't want/need all the perks the Buick had, nor the frustrations of dealing with a 6 spd tranny that couldn't make a decision. This vehicle has met/exceeded our expectations in all areas. It's quick, nimble and reliable; reasonably fuel efficient and has room for our family, albeit with some grumblings from the back seat, when occupied. As it's primarily used by two people it suits our needs, and it's really fun to drive. All in all a great choice...and we love the diesel...
Cons: The seats could be better bolstered, and the power seat controls are in a really poor location, unless you're able to open the door. The diesel is obviously noisier than it's gas powered cousin, but we knew that going in, and it's not really that noticeable when you're on the highway...especially if the cruise control is used. The ride is not as refined as other vehicles in this class...but it's a Jeep!!!
Overall review: We researched the Jeep Liberty CRD before deciding this would be the right choice...then tried to find one with the Limited trim level. We live in Western Canada...we found 3 - 4 in a search of the western provinces, and 6 more in a 500 mile radius of the US border crossing...most were Sports...and the Limiteds we found had higher mileage than we were prepared to accept. It took some time to locate the right unit, but we are thrilled with the performance thus far...